Orange tips

  • chipschipschips2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11 5:47 AM
      Hi,

      Last year I decided to have a go at rearing Orange tips butterfly's.

      For them to make a pupa, I put some Blue Tack in the container and then poked a short stick into it. This worked very well, to get them to make there pupa's exactly where I wanted them.

      I also noticed that one made its pupa upside down. It has just emerged so I guess it didn't do it any harm.

      Regards Dave
    • Reg Fry
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12 3:35 AM
        Hi all,

        It is curious that the Orange tip and other Pierids (at least the
        British species) generally suspend themselves with the cremaster and
        silk pad at the bottom and a girdle around the middle - although the
        three whites are sometimes set sideways, particularly over the winter.

        The other species that suspend themselves just spin a silk pad and
        hang down from that - a bit risky when it comes to discarding the old
        skin! Its well worth watching that process.

        Regards

        Reg