Re: [Breeding_UK-Leps] Phalera bucephala parasite

  • Matt Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi John

      Your parasite larva has spun a silk cocoon, this means you will see an Ichneumon wasp emerge. Hymenopterous parasites likethis spin silk, Tachinid fly larvae make a 'naked' puparia, never a cocoon.

      Regards

      Matt

      johnvanroosmalen <johnvanroosmalen@...> wrote:
      I found a caterpillar of Phalera bucephala. After growing nicely for a
      while it stopped eating and just laid still, turning ugly and dark.
      Now, only the skin remains and next to it is a big, presumably parasite
      pupa. What can I expect to emerge here?

      Photo of the caterpillar.
      http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/psavio19/001/SH101310a.jpg

      Photo of the parasite pupa.
      http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/psavio19/001/SH101519a.jpg

      Kind regards,
      John

    • Darrel Watts
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hi John,
        If you can breed it out your Ichnuemon will be of interest to those
        who work on them, as the species range of many of the common
        Ichnuemons is not known. Try Gavin Broad at the NHM, he works with
        Ophionoid ones (they're the nocturnal orange ones you get in moth
        traps).

        Details of his work the bottom of this page:
        <http://www.cornwallmothgroup.org.uk/news.htm>

        Dr Gavin Broad
        Coordinator of Zoological data & research
        The Natural History Museum
        London SW7 5BD

        cheers Darrel (in Bath)

        --- In Breeding_UK-Leps@yahoogroups.com, Matt Smith <matsmith60@...>