Status Update: "Benign Brain Tumor Cancer Registries Amendment Act’’

  • bilovsky@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
      Dear Brain Tumor Community Friends,

      It has been some time since we have provided you with an update on the
      progress of our campaign to pass the "Benign Brain Tumor Cancer Registries
      Amendment Act’’ into law. You are encouraged to forward this Status Update
      to anyone, to any organization and to any "Brain Tumor List Server" that you
      believe will be interested in this campaign.

      It is a new year. Last year the Act was introduced into Congress in order to
      solicit members of Congress to join Representative Barbara Lee (CA) in
      support of the Act, then known as HR5204. With the new 107th Congress (for
      years 2001 & 2002) we will, with your help, get Congress to pass this Act
      into law.

      Last year we were quite successful with our initial aim of getting additional
      sponsors. In the House we now have 13 sponsors from 11 states. In the
      Senate we have one sponsor. They are, in the House of Representatives
      1. Rep Lee, Barbara (CA), the original sponsor with these co-sponsors
      3. Rep Capuano, Michael E. (MA)
      3. Rep Conyers, John, Jr. (MI)
      4. Rep Frost, Martin (TX)
      5. Rep Hilliard, Earl F. (AL)
      6. Rep Kolbe, Jim (AZ)
      7. Rep Morella, Constance A. (MD)
      8. Rep Payne, Donald M. (NJ)
      9. Rep Sanders, Bernard (VT)
      20. Rep Stark, Fortney Pete (CA)
      11. Rep Carson, Julia (IN)
      12. Rep. James McGovern (MA)
      13. Rep. Patrick Kennedy (RI)

      In the Senate we have, Senator Thomas Daschle (D-SD).

      Not bad for a few months of cyber-roots effort! Thank you everyone.

      Congress reconvenes on January 30. New members will be assigned to
      Congressional Committees. Rep. Lee will re-introduce the Benign Brain Tumor
      Cancer Registries Amendment Act’’. It will be assigned a new HR number. As
      soon as we know this new number we will send out another Status Update. It
      will then be sent to the House of Representatives' Commerce Committee where
      it will be assigned to the Commerce Committee's Health sub-Committee.

      With the opening of the 107th Congress, Rep. Lee is planning to hold a joint
      press conference with Senator Daschle and to present the "Benign Brain Tumor
      Cancer Registries Amendment Act’’ to both the California caucus and the
      Black caucus. If one of your Representatives has already signed on you
      should ask her/him to also present the Act to your State's caucus.

      There may be hearings on the Act. If so, we will need people to testify why
      this Act is necessary. Again, we will provide Status Updates to keep you
      informed.

      At this time you are urged to make every effort to get your personal
      Representative and both of your Senators to also sponsor the Benign Brain
      Tumor Cancer Registries Amendment Act’’. In order to assist you in your
      effort we have established a team of Regional Coordinators.

      They are:
      Pacific Region (Coordinator Tom Yarish <tyarish@...>):
      Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California

      Mountain Region (Coordinator Nidia McMullen <Nidia74@...>):
      Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

      Plains Region (Coordinator: Kim Chrane <kchrane@...>):
      North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas

      Southern Region (Coordinator: Tricia Fields <KPFields1@...>):
      Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South
      Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia

      Midwest Region (Coordinator not yet selected; contact Lloyd Morgan
      <bilovsky@...>): Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin,
      Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia

      Eastern Region (Coordinator: Katie McCarthy <KatieDoBee@...>):
      Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York,
      Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine

      We are still looking for a Midwest Regional Coordinator. Nominations should
      be sent to Lloyd Morgan (bilovsky@...)

      Please contact them if you do not know who to contact or if you need sample
      letters, talking points, a copy of the Act, answers to Frequently Asked
      Questions or any other help you may desire.

      Please be sure to contact your Regional Coordinators when making appointments
      or writing letters to your Representatives and Senators.

      We have also decided to name our campaign. It is B.R.A.I.N 2001 Team
      Benign
      Records
      Act
      Is
      National

      All the best. With your help we will prevail.

      Lloyd Morgan
      1995 meningioma survivor
      Chief Cheerleader, B.R.A.I.N. 2001 Team