one lesion at a time - stereotactic radiosurgery first

  • Jodee
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 6:03 AM
      I saw the neurosurgeon again on 7/29 and we decided to do stereotactic radiosurgery for the meningioma that is behind my optical nerve and look at the colloid cyst again in 6 months. The plan for the colloid cyst is to do another craniotomy. I had a craniotomy in 2001 but the shell was left behind because it is attached to a vein. Anyway, he plans on taking the whole thing this time even if it means sacrificing the vein.

      So the next step is to meet with the oncologist for the meningioma and then schedule the radiosurgery. Radiosurgery involves an MRI, a halo screwed on to head while awake, then a CT. After that you sit around all day while they do their calculations, then about 4:30 you have your radiosurgery and can go home late that night or the next day.

      Anyway that is the plan. The meningioma is 1cm and the colloid cyst is 1.3cm at this time.

      The colloid cyst was 1.5cm in 2001 when I had the original craniotomy. I just want this to be over at this point and I don't want to deal with it again.

      Jodee
    • Patricia Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 7:52 AM
        Jodee,

        I am glad you now have a plan of care and the difficult time of "waiting and watching" is ending. I wonder if they ever graft veins in the head as they do with the heart and other parts of the body. As far as your meningioma, I mean.

        Good luck and keep us posted.

        Trisha

        Sent from my iPhone
      • jodonnell@monroecounty.gov
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 7:58 AM
          Hi Trisha,

          Its the colloid cyst that is wrapped around a vein. Not sure what they
          are going to do with that but when he does the craniotomy he can't leave
          the shell in this time because thats why it came back.

          I'll let ya know when I find out more.

          thanks for your support!

          Jodee

          Patricia Williams <trisha4080@...>
          Sent by: BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com
          08/03/10 10:55 AM
          Please respond to
          BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com

          "BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com" <BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com>
          cc

          Subject
          [BrainSurgery@Yahoo] one lesion at a time - stereotactic radiosurgery
          first

          Jodee,

          I am glad you now have a plan of care and the difficult time of "waiting
          and watching" is ending. I wonder if they ever graft veins in the head as
          they do with the heart and other parts of the body. As far as your
          meningioma, I mean.

          Good luck and keep us posted.

          Trisha

          Sent from my iPhone

          -- Confidentiality Notice --
          This email message, including all the attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential information. Unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message,
          including attachments.