Re: Nancy

  • NancyI
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2009
      Hello all,

      I had my 1st surgery on 9/24. It went well however they wanted me to have a Wada test done to see which side I held most of my memory. Depending on that I would be able to have another surgery to possibly reduce my seizures. I had the test done (that sucked I might add) and now am waiting for my dr.s to tell me the results. It's been about 3 weeks since the test was done and I haven't heard a thing. I've called and called and nothing. I'm getting a little angry. However I have only had 2 seizures since I've been home from the 1st surgery. Why again answers I can't get. Neither one of the procedures were to stop or prevent any seizures yet. I am still in the presurgery test mode yet. They took out all of my teeth too. I had to get dentures. That was good in one way because I now have nice pretty teeth but they are hard to get used to. I still don't wear my bottoms because they still hurt, after 8 adjustments so far.
      Thank you for your support. I will let you go now.

      Thanks,
      Nancy

      --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, "Jodee" <jodee@...> wrote:

      > Hi Nancy,
      >

      > When is your surgery? How are you doing?
      >

      > Jodee

    • Aleksa
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2009
        dear Nancy -
        Waiting is so hard, isn't it, particularly when the outcome has such a profound effect on our lives?  Please let us know what happens.

         grace & peace
        Aleksa

        I had my 1st surgery on 9/24. It went well however they wanted me to have a Wada test done to see which side I held most of my memory. Depending on that I would be able to have another surgery to possibly reduce my seizures. I had the test done (that sucked I might add) and now am waiting for my dr.s to tell me the results. It's been about 3 weeks since the test was done and I haven't heard a thing. I've called and called and nothing. I'm getting a little angry. However I have only had 2 seizures since I've been home from the 1st surgery. Why again answers I can't get. Neither one of the procedures were to stop or prevent any seizures yet. I am still in the presurgery test mode yet. They took out all of my teeth too. I had to get dentures. That was good in one way because I now have nice pretty teeth but they are hard to get used to. I still don't wear my bottoms because they still hurt, after 8 adjustments so far.
        Thank you for your support. I will let you go now.

        Thanks,
        Nancy

        --- In BrainSurgery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jodee" <jodee@...> wrote:

        > Hi Nancy,
        >

        > When is your surgery? How are you doing?
        >

        > Jodee

      • Aleksa
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 7, 2009
          Hello all -
          I have (another) question about life after brain surgery.  My surgery was over a year ago (4 cm abscess in occipital lobe) and the site of my incision is still sensitive, and if I bang my head is can still ooze a little and get crusty.  How long does this go on? And will I ever be able to sleep comfortably on my right side, the side with the incision?
          Thanks.
           grace & peace
          Aleksa

          The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute for medical advice:  THIS WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, available on or through this Web site ("content") are for general informational and support purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON THIS WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE IN PLACE OF SEEKING PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

          Community email addresses:
            Post message: BrainSurgery@...
            List moderator:   Trisha4080@...

          MARKETPLACE

          Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

          Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

          .

        • Vickie Taylor, Service Coord.
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2009
             I am over 5 years out, sensations and the dents are pretty normal but oozing that worries me, you should probably have that part checked out.

            Vickie
            West Virginia

            ________________________________

              Post message: BrainSurgery@ yahoo.com
              Subscribe:   http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BrainSurge ry
              List moderator:   Trisha4080@bellsout h.net

            MARKETPLACE

            Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

            Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

            .

            http://ca.toolbar. yahoo.com.

          • Nancy Illing
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2009
              Good morning,
              Thanks Aleksa! Your right I should and can just wait. But it is so aggravating. They are the professionals, right?.
              Although I have the same abscesses at my scars too. I have 4 scars, 2 on each side. One just popped about 2 weeks ago. I was scared to death. I just ran my fingers through what little hair I have left and it was all over my hand. I went to the bathroom to see and was so scared that my husband was gonna rush me to the hospital, I cleaned it all up and came out. Thank god 2 of my friends were here they work in the med field they jumped into action. They made sure I was ok and calmed us both down. Since more have appeared but they aren't bad yet. I can't believe it's been a year since your surgery and your still having this problem. Have your dr.s said anything about it? My friends tell me I still have stitched stuck inside. Do you feel you may have this too? What is the prognosis on your abscess? I hope it was all taken out and will not come back.
              Again Aleska, thank you for being there. I hope I can help you as much.

              Thanks, Nancy

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2009
                Thank you, Nancy.  It is so good to hear from other people who have had brain surgery.  It can be a lonely feeling, as I'm sure you know.

                I'll check with my dr and see what she says about the oozing from my incision when I banged my head.  I'm so glad to know it is normal that my head still feels lumpy and sensitive.  My neurosurgeon doesn't expect my abscess to come back, but I still get anxious every time I have a bad headache that lasts for more than a day.

                Your experience with one of the scars popping must have been quite frightening.

                 grace & peace
                Aleksa

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 9, 2009
                  Aleska,

                  I like to think of my dents as "spare change holders". I'm just glad they're all covered with hair.

                  But, all joking aside, you should not have any oozing or discharge from your site of surgery. The sooner you have this looked at, the better. I would strongly recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment for as soon as you can. Be sure to tell them about your symptoms so they can squeeze you in between patients if necessary.
                  I don't want to frighten you and believe this is something that can be easily taken care of, but if you wait, you could have a serious problem. Please call today and let us know what happens..

                  Trisha

                  Patricia Williams, R.N.
                  Founder/Moderator BrainSurgery @ Yahoo Group
                  Diagnosed 5/1/99, Resected 5/3/99
                  4.8 cm convexity meningioma left frontal/parietal/temporal lobes
                  Director of Braingels Project Fundraiser

                  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT:
                  www.braingels.org
                  ALL PROFITS donated to 501(c)(3) organizations dedicated to the support and
                  education of brain tumor patients and their families

                • Levy48@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 9, 2009
                    I like to think of my dents as "spare change holders". I'm just glad they're all covered with hair.

                    But, all joking aside, you should not have any oozing or discharge from your site of surgery. The sooner you have this looked at, the better. I would strongly recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment for as soon as you can. Be sure to tell them about your symptoms so they can squeeze you in between patients if necessary.
                    I don't want to frighten you and believe this is something that can be easily taken care of, but if you wait, you could have a serious problem. Please call today and let us know what happens..

                    Trisha

                    Patricia Williams, R.N.
                    Founder/Moderator BrainSurgery @ Yahoo Group
                    Diagnosed 5/1/99, Resected 5/3/99
                    4.8 cm convexity meningioma left frontal/parietal/temporal lobes
                    Director of Braingels Project Fundraiser

                    CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT:
                    www.braingels.org
                    ALL PROFITS donated to 501(c)(3) organizations dedicated to the support and
                    education of brain tumor patients and their families

                    --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, Aleksa <hattie886@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you, Nancy. It is so good to hear from other people who have had brain surgery. It can be a lonely feeling, as I'm sure you know.
                    > I'll check with my dr and see what she says about the oozing from my incision when I banged my head. I'm so glad to know it is normal that my head still feels lumpy and sensitive. My neurosurgeon doesn't expect my abscess to come back, but I still get anxious every time I have a bad headache that lasts for more than a day.
                    > Your experience with one of the scars popping must have been quite frightening.
                    > Â grace & peace
                    > Aleksa

                  • Aleksa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 9, 2009
                      Thanks for this, Trisha.
                      The ozzing/crust was just a tiny bit that happened after I banged my head on the ceiling of our crawl space.  It has totally resolved by now so I have nothing to show the doctor.  I'd be more comfortable waiting to see if it happened again, unless you really think that would be a mistake.
                       grace & peace
                      Aleksa

                      I like to think of my dents as "spare change holders". I'm just glad they're all covered with hair.

                      But, all joking aside, you should not have any oozing or discharge from your site of surgery. The sooner you have this looked at, the better. I would strongly recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment for as soon as you can. Be sure to tell them about your symptoms so they can squeeze you in between patients if necessary.
                      I don't want to frighten you and believe this is something that can be easily taken care of, but if you wait, you could have a serious problem. Please call today and let us know what happens..

                      Trisha

                      Patricia Williams, R.N.
                      Founder/Moderator BrainSurgery @ Yahoo Group
                      Diagnosed 5/1/99, Resected 5/3/99
                      4.8 cm convexity meningioma left frontal/parietal/ temporal lobes
                      Director of Braingels Project Fundraiser

                      CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT:
                      www.braingels. org
                      ALL PROFITS donated to 501(c)(3) organizations dedicated to the support and
                      education of brain tumor patients and their families

                      --- In BrainSurgery@ yahoogroups. com, Aleksa <hattie886@. ..> wrote:

                      > Thank you, Nancy. It is so good to hear from other people who have had brain surgery. It can be a lonely feeling, as I'm sure you know.
                      > I'll check with my dr and see what she says about the oozing from my incision when I banged my head. I'm so glad to know it is normal that my head still feels lumpy and sensitive. My neurosurgeon doesn't expect my abscess to come back, but I still get anxious every time I have a bad headache that lasts for more than a day.
                      > Your experience with one of the scars popping must have been quite frightening.
                      > Â grace & peace
                      > Aleksa

                    • Patricia Williams

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 9, 2009
                          Please don't apologize and no, you didn't scare me!  More than anything I am grateful to be able to ask questions with other people who've had brain surgery.  This group is such a gift!

                           grace & peace
                          Aleksa

                          I like to think of my dents as "spare change holders". I'm just glad they're all covered with hair.

                          But, all joking aside, you should not have any oozing or discharge from your site of surgery. The sooner you have this looked at, the better. I would strongly recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment for as soon as you can. Be sure to tell them about your symptoms so they can squeeze you in between patients if necessary.
                          I don't want to frighten you and believe this is something that can be easily taken care of, but if you wait, you could have a serious problem. Please call today and let us know what happens..

                          Trisha

                          Patricia Williams, R.N.
                          Founder/Moderator BrainSurgery @ Yahoo Group
                          Diagnosed 5/1/99, Resected 5/3/99
                          4.8 cm convexity meningioma left frontal/parietal/ temporal lobes
                          Director of Braingels Project Fundraiser

                          CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT:
                          www.braingels. org
                          ALL PROFITS donated to 501(c)(3) organizations dedicated to the support and
                          education of brain tumor patients and their families

                          --- In BrainSurgery@ yahoogroups. com, Aleksa <hattie886@. ..> wrote:

                          > Thank you, Nancy. It is so good to hear from other people who have had brain surgery. It can be a lonely feeling, as I'm sure you know.
                          > I'll check with my dr and see what she says about the oozing from my incision when I banged my head. I'm so glad to know it is normal that my head still feels lumpy and sensitive. My neurosurgeon doesn't expect my abscess to come back, but I still get anxious every time I have a bad headache that lasts for more than a day.
                          > Your experience with one of the scars popping must have been quite frightening.
                          > Â grace & peace
                          > Aleksa

                          http://www.flickr. com/gift/

                        • Nancy Illing
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 10, 2009
                            I have to say the same thing. I thank you all for being there!
                            Nancy

                            ________________________________
                            Please don't apologize and no, you didn't scare me! More than anything I am grateful to be able to ask questions with other people who've had brain surgery. This group is such a gift!

                            grace & peace
                            Aleksa

                            I like to think of my dents as "spare change holders". I'm just glad they're all covered with hair.

                            But, all joking aside, you should not have any oozing or discharge from your site of surgery. The sooner you have this looked at, the better. I would strongly recommend you call your doctor and make an appointment for as soon as you can. Be sure to tell them about your symptoms so they can squeeze you in between patients if necessary.
                            I don't want to frighten you and believe this is something that can be easily taken care of, but if you wait, you could have a serious problem. Please call today and let us know what happens..

                            Trisha

                            Patricia Williams, R.N.
                            Founder/Moderator BrainSurgery @ Yahoo Group
                            Diagnosed 5/1/99, Resected 5/3/99
                            4.8 cm convexity meningioma left frontal/parietal/ temporal lobes
                            Director of Braingels Project Fundraiser

                            CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT:
                            www.braingels. org
                            ALL PROFITS donated to 501(c)(3) organizations dedicated to the support and
                            education of brain tumor patients and their families

                            --- In BrainSurgery@ yahoogroups. com, Aleksa <hattie886@. ..> wrote:

                            > Thank you, Nancy. It is so good to hear from other people who have had brain surgery. It can be a lonely feeling, as I'm sure you know.
                            > I'll check with my dr and see what she says about the oozing from my incision when I banged my head. I'm so glad to know it is normal that my head still feels lumpy and sensitive. My neurosurgeon doesn't expect my abscess to come back, but I still get anxious every time I have a bad headache that lasts for more than a day.
                            > Your experience with one of the scars popping must have been quite frightening.
                            > Â grace & peace
                            > Aleksa

                          • Trisha W
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 10, 2009
                              I feel the same.  :)  This makes me think of the first time I realized how important it was to be able to meet, online or in person, other people affected by similar circumstances.  A dear friend who many of you may know, Nancy Conn-Levin, was moderating a site for meningioma patients/families and suggested I attend a brain tumor conference which was being held in Providence, Rhode Island.  So, six months after my surgery, I took my first "post diagnosis" trip alone.

                              I currently live in Florida and it was November (1999).  I arrived in Providence and realized I did not have a winter coat with me.  I had left it at home hanging over the chair.  I also left my toothbrush home.  Feeling like I couldn't do anything right, I finally made it to registration that night (after finding a mall where I could buy the things I needed, of course).  While waiting in line for my packet, not knowing anyone at this point, I overheard conversations like: "Darn! I brought a mismatched pair of shoes... what am I going to do?"  and  "Well, I forgot the skirt that goes with that top I brought for tomorrow..."  and other statements similar to this!  I felt like I was from another planet and I had just found a reunion of fellow aliens.  By the end of the weekend, I was just about in tears because I was so happy to have found that there WAS a normal for me... it was amongst all of these wonderful people who understood exactly what I
                              meant when I explained my frustrations.  People who were not afraid to talk about these issues with me and people I could learn from.  For the first time in six months since my surgery, I did not feel alone.  I'll never forget how wonderful that felt.

                              I started this site the following February.  You can't imagine how happy it makes me to see that it helps to comfort people by helping them to feel less alone.

                              Thank you for those comments which mean so much to me.  My next post will be about an upcoming conference being held in Florida on January 22-23, 2010.  (I'm writing another post about it just in case I lost anyone in this long reminiscent email!)

                              My best to you all,

                              From: Levy48@... <Levy48@...>

                              To: BrainSurgery@ yahoogroups. com

> [...]

                              > Again Aleska, thank you for being there. I hope I can help you as much.

                              Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger .yahoo.com/ webmessengerprom o.php

                            • Aleksa
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 10, 2009
                                Oh Trisha, you've just described what so often happens to me - forgetfulness, or questionable decisions.  I see people rolling their eyes at me sometimes, and I don't want to say "But I had brain surgery last year!" although that got me a priority spot at the flu immunization clinic yesterday), but at the same time I'm not stupid, my brain, at least for now, doesn't work as efficiently as it used to.
                                What I don't understand is why memory, balance and processing are all affected by surgery that took place in my occipital lobe, which I thought would only affect vision.
                                Thank you all so much!
                                grace & peace
                                Aleksa

                                  From: Nancy Illing <mooky133@yahoo. com>