Re: [brain-activist] HR 7153 National Childhood Brain Tumor Prevention Networ...

  • bilovsky@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Dear Cindy, and all,
      If anyone feels this email is worth forwarding, please forward it.

      The way cancer research has been done so far is to provide hypothesis driven
      grants to researchers. A hypothesis requires prior knowledge. Because
      almost nothing is known about the cause of brain tumors, and even less so for
      childhood brain tumors, only tiny research studies are possible.

      I liken this process as trying to figure out what the picture looks like in
      a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with each research study being a single piece
      (though this analogy breaks down because research projects often overlap
      previous studies).

      An example of this is that between 1990-2005, there were 32 studies of
      ependemomas. The total children in these studies was 1,444, but the number of
      children in any one studies varied from 11 to 92. Because each of these 32
      studies used different procedures the results were not comparable. What a
      tragedy, the total cost of these studies was millions; 1,444 children is
      sufficiently large that statistically meaningful results would have existed. Instead,
      almost nothing was learned.

      Can you tell me what the picture is in a 10,000 piece jig-saw puzzle by
      randomly picking up 32 pieces?

      It's my belief that this Bill has the potential of changing this very
      paradigm of all cancer research once the findings are published. The National
      Childhood Brain Tumor Prevention Act of 2008 will include thousands of children,
      it will use common procedures, it will study every aspect of a children's
      possible cause of their brain tumors: exposures in the environment, genetics,
      nutrition and so on over a 5-year period and across most of the United States.

      Cindy, if you can get your Representative to sign on a cosponsor and if you
      can get either, or both of Colorado's Senators to introduce the exact same
      language in a Senate Bill, then we will have an even better start for the full
      blown campaign that will begin in January 2009.

      You (anyone else reading this email) can do the same.

      Please let me know the results of your efforts whether successful or not.

      We're on our way! We can do it.

      Lloyd Morgan
      Chief Cheerleader

      PS: The cost of this study, $25M per year over 5 years has been referred to
      as "budget dust."

      In a message dated 9/30/2008 9:14:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      Cindirixey@... writes:

      Hi, Lloyd,

      Great work. I've forwarded your post to the Bran Trust braintmr "Big List."

      Keep on getting louder.

      Peace, joy, friendship, hope and healing,

      Cindi