Ear Ringing

  • annunzial64
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2008
      When I was getting ready for my first brain tumor surgery - I started
      having this sing song type ring in my ear in the morning. After
      surgery it went away and I never had it again. I have now started to
      get the same sound two years later.

      Has anyone experienced this?

      Lisa
      Oligoastrocytoma
      5/06 resected
      VP Shunt Implant
      9/06
    • bill
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2008
        --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, "annunzial64" <lisaannunziata@...>
        wrote:

        > When I was getting ready for my first brain tumor surgery - I started
        > having this sing song type ring in my ear in the morning. After
        > surgery it went away and I never had it again. I have now started to
        > get the same sound two years later.
        >
        > Has anyone experienced this?
        >
        > Lisa
        > Oligoastrocytoma
        > 5/06 resected
        > VP Shunt Implant
        > 9/06

        Hi Lisa,

        My name is Bill and I, too, had shunt surgery (twice) in 1985 (July 15,
        Sept 9) to drain an arachnoid cyst on the 3rd ventricle.

        My 1st operation went smoothly with few side effects. My 2nd operation
        not so smoothly. I barely moved for 3 days. It is only recently (within
        the past 4 or 5 years - I now only see him once every 5 or 6 months)
        that there were grave concerns for my long term recovery after the 2nd
        operation.

        Following my 2nd operation I too had a "ringing" in my left ear (not
        unlike the sound of the ocean that you hear when you put a shell to
        your ear) that at one point I thought would never go away. It did
        though eventually (after, I think, about 12-15 months - I don't exactly
        remember since it was more than 20 years ago). After it eventually
        faded away, I went through a period where my ears "popped" every so
        often. But eventually the whole issue faded away.

        The only explanation I read that seemed plausible was that
        the "ringing" was the result of anesthesia (sp?) wearing off, but I
        have no idea. Especially since it took SO long to eventually go away.

        I don't know if that helps.

        Bill