VP shunt clogged after years?!?

  • jrmedinagold
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hi! I'm an 11-year-survivor. Over these 11-years I've been reading
      up on these groups tips on how to live as close to tumor-free and
      normal as is possible. Brain Surgery group and Brain research group
      have been helpful! But now there's one topic I can't seem to find!

      I had a VP shunt inserted into me December 1997, and a couple of days
      after most of my medulloblastoma tumor was removed. My VP shunt is
      for the hydrocephallus, and it runs from my brain down to my stomach.
      In fact, if you would sensitively touch my skin, you would feel a
      sort of thin tube that runs down from the lower back part of my head
      to my neck, and then to my pecs. And then you don't feel it anymore;
      I guess it must be because it leads then to the stomach--interior and
      not just under the skin.

      My question is about the 11-year-old shunt. I've been feeling some
      pain there in my right pecs, just where my shunt can't anymore be
      felt and appears to disappear. I'd really appreciate to know from the
      group members if it's likely that my shunt is clogged after 11 years?
      Or is this altogether different and not related to my shunt? I'd
      like to know from others who may have or had the same experience.
      Thanks! This information would be helpful before I go again to my neuro.