Can anyone tell me where to send this family for support?

  • Jeanie Christensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007
      I just opened an email from a person who found my blog... please read it below and let me know if you know where they can find the help they are looking for.
      Thanks ~Jeanie~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      hey, i just went to your blog. wow! you touched me. it really lifted my spirits. my best friend's little girl who just turned 4 yrs old, and my son's best friend, just got diagnosed with stomach cancer - by surprise. they took her into surgery for apendicitis, wanting to take out the appendix because of severe stomach pain in that area. when they opened her up during surgery they had a tumor, not an inflamed appendix laughing out at them. they removed the tumor, started MRI's and CT scans and all sorts of other tests and chemo. afte the 2nd round she is now completely bald adn a sad sight to see although she herself seems to be acting much more nomral than most people around her. she is only 4 so doesn't exactly get it which i consider a blessing to her. the cancer samples were sent to st. jude's in memphis - oh by the way, these friends of ours moved to colombia where my friend is from in june 2007. st. jude's returned the diagnosis as being
      'cancer del abdomen desmoplasico' supposedly an extremely rare sort of cancer and they don't know what to do. there is a nother tumor that needs to be removed but they will only decide after a 2nd huge avaliation of the chemo and other treatments between feb and april. she also has many metastasis but they are not yet to be called tumors. chemo might take care of that they said.
      this family's private insureance covers big med issues only after 6 months and they have 4 months with the insurance, so they are broke, desperate, and jobless. the father went with only a commision job and is not yet making any money - it has been since june that he is trying. the mother was looking for a job but now needs to stay with the girl.

      i was wondering if you, having gone through cancer treatment and issues, have any ideas of how to help this family, raise funds, get them into other treatments, any ideas what to do with this rare kind of cancer, ... ANY thing really. i feel helpless. i live in brazil, sao paulo right now, but just spent christmas in orem and boise. i wish i had seen a post from you before, i would have loved to meet and chat with you.
      maybe you can ask your oncologist about this stomach/abdominal cancer and see if you has heard of treatments or outlooks for this girl.....??????

      katja

      Greetings from:

      KATJA ZARCO - making a difference in this world!!!

      www.onemakesadifference.com
      info@...

    • Ursula Morgan

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
          Yes St Jude is great and the expert pediatric cancer care there is free and I think Gleevec is now suggested for abdominal cancer and any spread of disease, but maybe not in pediatrics yet. My 52 year old male cousin died from abdominal cancer a few years ago, I sure wish he could have tried Gleevec.
          GBYAY  Anne Breen