Re: [BrainSurgery@Yahoo] Is hair loss normal even before treatment?

  • Lene
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi Jeanie....My name is Arleen, I got an Brain Aneurysm which I got surgery 2 years ago. But after my surgery I get so much hair loss, which I though was the stress and depression I was going thru and didnt go to the doctor for that on time, then all the sudden one day I lost a big spot full of hair, on the back of my head was a big spot with not hair at all after that, then I went to the doctor and he sent me to a Dermatologist, which I found out I got Alopecia Areata. So, I suggest you to talk to your doctor right away and just in case, be refer to a Dermatologist. I did to get after couple medications, Cortison shots for that and finally I get my hair back.
      Hope this help you out.
      TAKE CARE !!!

      Jeanie <optimistic_biz_mom@...> wrote:
      For about a month now I've been losing quite a bit of hair. I'm not
      noticing any bald spots or anything, but every time I shower, when I
      wash my hair and rinse it, I get a handful of hair. It's enough that
      it clogs the drain just after 1 shower (and my hair length is only to
      my chin). I never have had this happen before. I was only diagnosed
      last week as possibly having a tumor, but still have another MRI to do
      before we know for sure. I wanted to ask about this to see if I should
      tell my Dr. or not. I thought at first it may be from a lack of a
      vitamin or something.

      Thanks
      Jeanie

      The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute for medical advice: THIS WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, available on or through this Web site ("content") are for general informational and support purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON THIS WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE IN PLACE OF SEEKING PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

      Community email addresses:
      Post message: BrainSurgery@...
      List moderator: Trisha4080@...

      Brain tumor Brain tumor cancer Brain tumor in child Brain tumor symptoms Brain tumor treatment Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumor

    • bill
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
        --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanie"
        <optimistic_biz_mom@...> wrote:

        > For about a month now I've been losing quite a bit of hair. I'm
        not
        > noticing any bald spots or anything, but every time I shower, when
        > wash my hair and rinse it, I get a handful of hair. It's enough
        that
        > it clogs the drain just after 1 shower (and my hair length is only
        > my chin). I never have had this happen before. I was only
        diagnosed
        > last week as possibly having a tumor, but still have another MRI
        to do
        > before we know for sure. I wanted to ask about this to see if I
        should
        > tell my Dr. or not. I thought at first it may be from a lack of a
        > vitamin or something.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jeanie

        Ummmmmm...... Hair loss....

        Iwas operated on in 1985 (twice). Things happened so quickly the
        first time, that even though I actually had the chance to go to the
        barber the day I transfered from one hospital to another, I didn't
        think to do it. (And I really needed a haircut!) I would have taken
        the extra 15 minutes to get a "buzz" cut. Consequently, when I was
        operated on, the surgeon(s) did (could) not (be) take too much care
        in cutting where he had to. I lost about 30% of my hair. Only
        several days prior to my 2nd operation I had had a haircut, so when
        it came to removing hair in that operation, the doctorrs were able
        to give from cutting any more than had to be cut.

        The barber I use has taken great pains over the years to have as
        much hair cover those parts of my scalp where there is no hair. So
        well has he do his job, that feel realize how much (if any) hair I
        have lost. Worse (or better, depending on your viewpoint), my hair
        STOPPED graying after the second operation. So, now, not only do I
        appear to have all my hair, but I do not look my age (55). And the
        brain surgeries are the only things that I can account for this,
        unless eating a diet high in anti oxidents ccould also be to blame.

        My advise to anyone about to have brain surgery and who has the
        opportunity is to get a haircut (as short as possible) so the
        surgeon can be as precise as possible and keep any hair loss to a
        minimum. In fact, if you can, you might bring the subject up.

        Of course, most who have brain surgery do so on an ASAP basis making
        the option of getting a haircut beforehand academic.

        Bill
      • Jeanie Christensen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
          Wow, thanks for the advice! I've been trying to grow my hair out to my shoulders after having it cut pretty short ( for reasons of having a new hairstyle that was short so my baby wouldn't pull my hair anymore ). My husband LOVES long hair and wants me to grow my hair out again. To be honest, I hate my hair and always have! It's naturally curly but since I've had kids it's not as curly on top and is just flat and ugly if you ask me. I always tell my husband I want to shave my head bald, so I might have a good reason to actually do it now!! HAHA... and he can't be mad at me for it, lol.

          Jeanie

          List moderator: Trisha4080@...

          Brain tumor Brain tumor cancer Brain tumor in child Brain tumor symptoms Brain tumor treatment Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumor

        • Kelly
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2006
            I started to shave my head prior to my surgery and the doctor said
            that he is very careful to only cut what he has to. Since they
            would have went in at the back of my head you wouldn't have even
            been able to see it. The only parts anyone could see was when they
            shaved 8 spots on my head for the MRI. But because you can't wash
            you hair for a long time after I would have shave it anyhow.

            My grandfather had cancer and went through treatments where he lost
            all his hair. It really bothered him and I couldn't understand
            until now why it was such a big deal. I understand completely now.

            --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, Jeanie Christensen
            <optimistic_biz_mom@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Bill
            >

            > The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute for medical
            advice: THIS WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE
            MEDICAL ADVICE. All content, including text, graphics, images, and
            information, available on or through this Web site ("content") are
            for general informational and support purposes only. The content is
            not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice,
            diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE,
            OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON THIS
            WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE IN PLACE OF
            SEEKING PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: BrainSurgery@...
            > List moderator: Trisha4080@...

            > Brain tumor Brain tumor cancer Brain tumor in
            child Brain tumor symptoms Brain tumor treatment

            Service.

          • Vickie Taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2006
              Well that was a nice doctor. My doctor's comment was
              that he went to brain surgery school not barber
              school.

              --- Kelly <myuncertainty@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > the option of getting a haircut beforehand
              > academic.
              > >
              > > Bill
              > >

              > > The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute
              > for medical
              > advice: THIS WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES
              > NOT, PROVIDE
              > MEDICAL ADVICE. All content, including text,
              > graphics, images, and
              > information, available on or through this Web site
              > ("content") are
              > for general informational and support purposes only.
              > The content is
              > not intended to be a substitute for professional
              > medical advice,
              > diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL
              > MEDICAL ADVICE,
              > OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU
              > HAVE READ ON THIS
              > WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE

              === message truncated ===

              Vickie Taylor,
              Service Coordinator, WVBTT and Care Coordinator, RFTS
              Children's Home Society of WV, 485-0650 Cell 588-2704
              This email message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information which is legally protected through the IDEA,FRPA,and HIPA. The information is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unathorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Kelly
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2006
                He said that to you??? Oh my!