FIVE YEARS AND 300 MEMBERS

  • Patricia Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      To my BT* family:

      This is a deviation from our usual type post, but I wanted to announce to
      you that, just now, our 300th member joined our group. I thought this would
      be a good time to say a few things.

      First, welcome Lori! You have come to a wonderful place, if I may say so
      myself.

      All of us know that the last place we ever expected to find ourselves was as
      part of a Brain Surgery "anything"! Right? How melodramatic would it have
      been to even suggest that any of our symptoms had been due to a brain tumor!
      I know everyone thought I was just a hypochondriac; even I was beginning to
      wonder whether I was or not! As were many of you, I was told that it was
      all in my head. Well, they were right about that! That's exactly where the
      brain tumor was.

      But, this journey has not been a laughing matter for any of us. This group
      started in February of 2001 and in the past five years it has grown to
      become a wonderful family to me. A place for me to turn when no one else
      understands how I feel, what my fears are, my confusions, my frustrations.
      This, and other communities where I am able to share time and space with
      fellow survivors and their families, has been my true salvation for sanity.
      It's amazing. Each and every person has a story which is different, yet the
      same. So many unique situations with so many similarities.

      It is wonderful that I receive notes from people all the time saying how
      they feel the same way about having this place to turn to. Validation of
      one's feelings is critical in many situations and this situation is no
      exception. An example of this would be when I first started having seizures
      following my surgery. I would have episodes where I would feel as though
      all of a sudden I had grown to 15 to 20 feet tall. Like a person on stilts
      or something. The ground would look so far away, I would even lose my
      balance for a second. Sometimes this type of seizure would present itself a
      little differently and I would see things across the room change. Usually,
      it was a table or counter. The legs would grow underneath it and it would
      become very tall. All the while, I would know this was not really
      happening, I never had a doubt about whether or not things were really
      physically changing or not, but when I told my parents about these
      experiences the first time, they got really quiet and gave each other that
      "look." You know that "look". The look that's supposed to have the rolling
      eyes with it... Anyway, I was afraid if I told them the rest of the things
      that were happening they would get those "little white men in the little
      white coats" to come take me away. So I stopped telling them.

      But, the wonderful thing about this community is when you share something
      even as strange as this, there is SOMEONE ELSE, who knows EXACTLY what you
      mean and how you feel. Bingo! That's all I needed. Somehow that feeling
      of knowing "it's not just YOU" is so important. So in addition to the
      information we share, the resources we direct each other to and the advice
      we give each other, support is also knowing what it means to "GET TALL."

      Not all 300 members are still with us. We have lost a few. Some people
      have come and stayed. Some people have come, shared their struggles with
      us, let us get to know them and when they made it through, they emerged
      through to the other side stronger and ready to move on. Wasn't it great
      to be able to have them with us during those times? We watched them grow
      and we, too, grew more. I do truly believe that we are stronger because of
      all of this.

      I don't know if any of this makes any sense or not. What I have tried to do
      is summarize some of the feelings I have about the miracle of this community
      to me. Mostly I just want to say thank you to all of you for being here and
      I look forward to five more years with all of you as we journey on and see
      who else we can find along the way.

      All my best to you all,

      Trisha

      Trisha Williams, R.N.

      Braingels Fundraising Project Director

      CHECK OUT OUR BRAIN TUMOR PATIENT FUNDRAISING WEBSITE AT:

      *Best Test

    • Kim Chrane
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        Trisha:

        Thank you for your kind spirit, thoughtfulness and inspiration. You're a
        truly magnificent and gifted person who just also happens to be a brain
        tumor survivor. You have given me a wonderful place to come to in my
        life...THANK YOU for the support this site has given me.

        Congratulations on 5 YEARS and 300 MEMBERS. Might I add, folks visit this
        site from all over the world. This is HUGE! Congrats again, you should be
        very proud, I am.

        Kim Chrane~ium
        Just completed my temporary retirement! It's back to working for me and I'm
        thrilled.
        SX 12/7/05 & 11/1/05
        Meningioma Temporal, Posterior Frontal Falx
        SX 91&99 Frontal and Falx, Superior Saggital Sinus
        TX Gamma Knife 00 & '03 Tufts-NE
[...]

        The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute for medical advice:
        THIS WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. All
        content, including text, graphics, images, and information, available on or
        through this Web site ("content") are for general informational and support
        purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for
        professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD
        PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING
        YOU HAVE READ ON THIS WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE
        IN PLACE OF SEEKING PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: BrainSurgery@...
        List moderator: Trisha4080@...

        Health care provider

        Service.

      • Cathy
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          Trisha,
          Thank-you for all that you do for this site. Even though I am
          just a caregiver to my husband this site has really helped me out. It
          has made him a lot stronger to know there are others out there, he
          isn't alone. Thank-you!

          Cathy