Preparation for surgery Re:Scared

  • Patricia Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
      Kara,

      It's ok to be afraid, who wouldn't be? How many times before I had my brain
      surgery did I say in lesser circumstances "Well, it's not like it's brain
      surgery!". This is something that, before it happens to you, you never in a
      million years think it will ever happen to you. Brain tumors happened in
      the movies and to strangers we didn't even know. That's what I always
      thought, anyway.

      But even though you are afraid, you have much you can do to help yourself
      later. This is a blessing in disguise because it will keep you busy until
      your day comes.

      One of the most important things to do is something you have already
      started. Gathering information. If you hadn't started that, you wouldn't
      be here. So, congratulations! Many of us began looking for this
      information after our surgeries. You now have an advantage in that you can
      prepare.

      Would anyone in your family be interested in communicating with us online
      while you recover? That way, if you have any issues arise, such as needs
      for referrals, problems of any sort, etc., we could offer suggestions for
      them or ideas for them to assist you better. Sometimes it's hard for our
      families to truly understand what we need after our surgery. We could help
      with that. So my first suggestion would be to ask a family member if they
      would join the group as your spokesperson.

      There is so much to tell you. I am including some excellent links for you.
      No need for to reinvent the wheel. Also, visit the LINKS section of the
      website for more. In the meantime, if you would like, I will send you my
      phone number as one of the things most people wish they could have done is
      to have spoken with someone who had had this type of surgery.

      In the meantime, here are some of the links:

      http://www.tbts.org/virtual_html/telephon.htm <-- this is a patient/family
      telephone network run by the Brain Tumor Society. Your family members could
      possibly benefit (and you as well!) by visiting this site and making a phone
      call.

      http://www.tbiguide.com/familymembers.html <-- keep in mind that this link
      is for brain injury patients. Even though we don't have what is considered
      to be a "brain injury" in common diagnostic terms, we have to admit that a
      tumor in the brain causes injury and entering the brain to remove a tumor
      can "startle" the brain. Because of this, many of the symptoms head injury
      or brain injury patients experience are the same as what we experience after
      surgery (and before). Because of this, I feel this article is very valuable
      to caregivers. Please remember that EVERYONE IS NOT THE SAME. For example,
      this article talks about the possibility of an "agitated phase". I never
      experienced this phase at all.

      Here are a few comments taken from responses to the Patient Care
      Questionnaire:

      List things that may have helped you prior to surgery/treatment:
      1. "I wish I had asked my doctor to better describe what to expect after
      surgery and how long and what would be involved in my recovery" R.D.
      2. "I did fine after my surgery..... I was only in the hospital 5 days and
      had no complications......."
      3. "CONNECTING WITH OTHERS THAT HAD GONE THROUGH THE SAME EXPERIENCE" K.C.
      4. "I would just advise people to research, research, research. You are
      you're own best advocate. Sometimes you are your only real advocate. If you
      don't know your body and what's going on, no one will. Read, read, read.
      Catch up on the latest advances and research for your particular ailment.
      Join online groups in case you have questions. We are the best experts.
      We've been there. " -SJA

      5. "I believe someone should have been assigned, either by the neurosurgeon
      or by the neurologist, to provide management of my follow-up. Reminders of
      appointments, calls to the home to see what types of problems were occuring,
      review of Instructions, assessment of total care. I.E. - CASE MANAGEMENT"
      -P.W.

      6. I wish that I would have been told about the fatigue, weight gain and
      other problems associated with my medications and surgery.-K.A.

      You are going to make it through this and you, believe it or not, will
      probably feel this was actually a positive experience. I kid you not.

      Question: Your children must be very young, as I see you are only 25. You
      are going to need rest after your surgery. Is there someone who can help
      with caring for them after you come home?

      Sorry this is so long. I could write on this all day.

      Hope this helps.

      Trisha

        List moderator: Trisha4080@...

        The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute for medical advice: THIS
        WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. All
        content, including text, graphics, images, and information, available on or
        through this Web site ("content") are for general informational and support
        purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for
        professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD
        PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING
        YOU HAVE READ ON THIS WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE
        IN PLACE OF SEEKING PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: BrainSurgery@...
        List moderator: Trisha4080@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        The BrainSurgery@Yahoo website is not a substitute for medical advice: THIS WEBSITE IS NOT DESIGNED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, available on or through this Web site ("content") are for general informational and support purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, OR DELAY IN SEEKING IT, BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON THIS WEB SITE. NEVER RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE IN PLACE OF SEEKING PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: BrainSurgery@...
        List moderator: Trisha4080@...

        Brain tumor Symptoms of brain tumors Symptoms of a brain tumor Health care provider

        ---------------------------------

      • Asli
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
          Please do not be afraid. It will all go fine. You are young and
          powerful. My dad´s complication came out of his blood problems and
          he had pneumenia and heart rythm problems too. I spent my last 5
          days between all brain surgered people in the intensive station and
          they make at least 6 ope everyday and everyone is recoevered even
          after some hours, Its like magic.Dont worry.
          Hope the best for you too.
          Ashley
          --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, kevin hebert <gdbmk@y...> wrote:

          > sorry, my name is kara thankyou for writing back
          >
          > Kim Chrane <kchrane@m...> wrote: Hello gdbmk (did not catch your
          name),
          > So sorry to hear what you are going through. So difficult and all
          your
          > feeling is very normal...I am so glad you wrote to us--stay strong
          and have
          > faith--this waiting for the surgery is quite overwhelming we know.
          > My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.
          >
          > Kim Chrane~ium
          > Recovering Meningioma Temporal and Frontal SX 11/1/2005
          > SX 91&99 Frontal and Falx, Superior Saggital Sinus
          > TX Gamma Knife 00 & '03 Tufts-NEMC
          > Next surgery December 7, 2005 @ TUFTS -New England Medical Center
          Boston for
          > Parietal & Convexity Meningiomas

          Service.

        • Susan Heigl
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
            Hi.
            I don't know where your tumor is located, but just wanted to share my experience with my son who had a pilocytic astrocytoma removed on 10/13. He is doing great. His was in the posterior fossa (cerebellum). He had some complications after surgery, swelling and somehow came down with meningitis, but even after all of that, he is doing really well. He is 99.9% back to normal. He is active and does all the things he did before surgery. He is 17 and they said his tumor may have been there since birth.
            The doctor hasn't prescribed chemo or radiation, so I don't have any personal experience with that, except that my friend's mom had breast cancer removed and is going through chemo right now. She is 65. Her first dose she got pretty sick for a couple of days, but her next treatment they cut it in half when she told them how it made her feel and since they've done that it is much much easier on her, she just gets a little tired for a day or so. So that is something for you to keep in mind. They may be able to adjust it so it doesn't affect you as much.
            I understand how scared you are and I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. You have come to a good place for support and information. When I found out my son had to have brain surgery I was really freaked out. But it has all turned out fine. Please keep us posted. You will be in my prayers.

            Susan

            Asli <yukselasli@...> wrote:
            Please do not be afraid. It will all go fine. You are young and
            powerful. My dad´s complication came out of his blood problems and
            he had pneumenia and heart rythm problems too. I spent my last 5
            days between all brain surgered people in the intensive station and
            they make at least 6 ope everyday and everyone is recoevered even
            after some hours, Its like magic.Dont worry.
            Hope the best for you too.
            Ashley
            --- In BrainSurgery@yahoogroups.com, kevin hebert <gdbmk@y...> wrote:

            > sorry, my name is kara thankyou for writing back
            >
            > Kim Chrane <kchrane@m...> wrote: Hello gdbmk (did not catch your
            name),
            > So sorry to hear what you are going through. So difficult and all
            your
            > feeling is very normal...I am so glad you wrote to us--stay strong
            and have
            > faith--this waiting for the surgery is quite overwhelming we know.
            > My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.
            >
            > Kim Chrane~ium
            > Recovering Meningioma Temporal and Frontal SX 11/1/2005
            > SX 91&99 Frontal and Falx, Superior Saggital Sinus
            > TX Gamma Knife 00 & '03 Tufts-NEMC
            > Next surgery December 7, 2005 @ TUFTS -New England Medical Center
            Boston for
            > Parietal & Convexity Meningiomas

            List moderator: Trisha4080@...

            Brain tumor Symptoms of brain tumors Symptoms of a brain tumor Health care provider

          • kevin hebert
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
              my tumor is located in my left temoral lobe and a little has crossed over to the right side, my dr. said he won't try to get the tumor from the right side. so hopefully chemo and radiation will get rid of it.I am gad to hear about your son susan, It gives me hope to hear stories. Asli I am glad to hear your father is doing better today. when i first found out I went to a chemotherapist and her and her little side kick told me pretty much that I had a year or two to live. Can you imagine being 25 with 4 children who depend on you and being told your going to die. Well lets just say my mother told here off and we found another chemotherapist (who i really like) who told me that YES the other dr. was right if i was really old he said you have to look at statistics on ages. he said I will go into remission if the surgeon can get most of the tumor,and 50% of people that go into remission never have another problem.

              Susan Heigl <suziestzu@...> wrote: Hi.

              List moderator: Trisha4080@...

              List moderator: Trisha4080@...