Brain tumor

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Hi Gayle,

      I read your letter in the BrainSurgery@Yahoo group. I found this group a
      few weeks ago while searching other information on brain tumors. There are
      a lot of good people here that will be glad to answer questions and share
      their information with you. I was having headaches daily for a couple of
      weeks early in April of this year. I finally went to my family doctor and
      he sent me for a brain scan. Just the thought of that scared me. I had my
      MRI done on 04/27/05. When I got out of there, they told me that my doctor
      wanted me to stop at his office before going home. That scared me, too. I
      knew it couldn't be good information. He told me that they had found a
      tumor in my brain about the size of a golf ball. I am 47 years old, an
      engineer on the railroad and enjoying life. Now all of a sudden the picture
      changes.

      Trying to make a long story short; I had my surgery on 05/02/05. It was a
      successful surgery (100% resection). I am in my 2nd week of radiation
      treatments and chemotherapy (Temodar). It is a scary process. I casually
      asked my oncologist if I would be able to go back to work after the
      radiation treatments. He said that I might as well get in touch with the
      Railroad Retirement Board and request disability papers to fill out. I
      really wasn't ready to hear that.

      Sorry that I rattled on about my situation. The nature of brain tumors is
      they can recur. The surgery is serious of course. Mine was in the left
      frontal lobe and was easy to get to. Did you have any radiation of
      chemotherapy after your surgery? It is easy to say but hard to actually do
      in real life... Try not to be scared. I know that doesn't really help you
      for me to say that. Just try to have faith and have a positive outlook on
      things. I've been told that mental attitude goes a long way with this.
      Another thing is "You are not alone" in this. There are lots of good people
      in this group that will share information with you and try to set you at
      ease.

      I wish you well. Good luck on your next MRI.

      Keith Herald
      Nebraska