Re: [BrainSurgery] Emergency---Something just happened to my dad, need answers or advice?

  • eveh
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
      No, the anti-seizure med I was on was 600 mg Neurontin 3 x day, and they upped it to 900 mg Neurontin 3 x day.

      Eve H.
      San Diego
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
        Tammy,

        I agree with this episode most likely being a seizure. You've described a
        type of "focal" (or "simple") seizure called a "Jacksonian" seizure.
        Jacksonian seizures begin in one isolated part of the body such as a hand
        and then appear to "march up" the limb. Sometimes this occurs only once,
        and sometimes they recur.

        In view of your father's diagnosis and history, it's probably not unusual
        for him to have this happen. But, I hope by now that you have contacted his
        doctor/neurologist and let him/her know about it. If your Dad is not
        already on anticonvulsants, he/she may well prescribe some.

        Some tips for you in dealing with seizures (like you don't have enough to do
        already... sorry): keep working on helping him eat a good diet and get
        enough sleep. If there is something that helps him relax, this may help in
        controlling stress levels as best as possible. Avoid hyperventilation. See
        if he had any "odd feelings or sensations" prior to the episode. Maybe he
        smelled an unusual odor or saw lights, felt tingling, something like that.
        If so, this may be what is called an "aura" that could help him to recognize
        when and if he is to have another seizure. With that warning, he can make
        sure he is sitting or lying down and in a safe place or let someone around
        him know he thinks he is going to have a seizure.

        I also agree with Eve about you needing some help. Where do you live again?
        (sorry, I forgot). Do you need help finding someone to help? I can try to
        help you with that if you give more information.

        Please, if it is helping you to vent by writing emails, keep doing it!!!! I
        would love to find a way we could help you through this.

        How is he doing now?

        Hang in there, Tammy. He is lucky to have you there for him. When you look
        back at this time, you will cherish it. Stay in touch!!!

        Trisha
        Trisha Williams, R.N.
        BrainSurgery@Yahoo Group Founder/Moderator
        4.8 cm meningioma left frontal/parietal/temporal lobes resected 5/3/99
        Living, laughing and loving better than ever!
        HAVE YOU VOTED IN THE POLLS???? CHECK THEM OUT:
[...]

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada