Re: [brain tumor] American Academy of Neurology Conference - Back to Work

  • bcarvellso@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      I think the title is terrific, not too harsh at all.

      It's clear that you've worked with the medical services community alot; the
      hands-on part will be great. Basically I think your approach is quite good.

      Thanks for doing this.

      Beverly Somers
      glioblastoma multiforme
      craniotomy 1/00
    • Kim Chrane
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        Hello Trisha,

        Just got back from Hawaii, so I'm all messed up with time zones, that's why
        you're getting this e-mail at a late time. In any case, it looks like you
        are pulling everything together quite nicely. I like the seminar title.
        I'm interested in hearing more about 3. the hands-on approach...what dr's
        think.

        Kim Chrane~ium

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2000
          Thanks for your feedback everybody! So far, it looks like the title
          is a hit. I'm still open for other suggestions if anyone wants to
          post to the group or, if you feel more comfortable sending your
          suggestions to me privately you can do so at kpfields1@...

          Kim, you asked about my idea for obtaining doctors' ideas. I used to
          conduct "HIV train the trainer" workshops for the State of Florida.
          As part of these workshops, we used many sensitivity exercises to
          help the participants break down any biases or predjudices they may
          have about the subject. I kept copies of these exercises and want to
          review them to see how they could be modified to use for the
          conference.

          Another idea would be to use some of the poll questions and
          questionnaire questions and have the conference participants/doctors
          answer them. Say, "When do you think is the most difficult time for
          patients who undergo brain surgery for removal of tumors?" Or, "What
          is the #1 most appreciated aspect of care stated by brain tumor
          patients?" Do you think they will be surprised by the answers? I
          do. Do you think they may learn something by the answers? I do.

          This is why the questionnaires and the polls are so important. It is
          that information that will support us. The more people that
          participate, the more valid the data. If you haven't sent in your
          questionnaire or taken part in the polls, please do so. Also, please
          pass on the word about the site. The more the merrier!

          Phew! I slept 12 hours last night and have a little too much energy
          this morning...

          Later - Trisha