Surgery on 1/27

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hello everyone! About a year ago my tumor was discovered. We watched
      it very closely & over a year's time it grew from 1.3cm to 1.7cm. Not
      much growth, but a concern nonetheless. My neurosurgeon thinks it
      might be a ganglioneuroma & it is in my 3rd ventricle. I opted to
      have surgery before it grew any further & surgery is scheduled for
      Jan 27th. I've never even had general anesthesia before. My NS
      explained the procedure to me in detail & I have a lot of medical
      background. I've been a vet tech for 20 years & am also a massage
      therapist. Is there anything to expect, ask about, etc. that the NS
      might not have mentioned? I'll be happy to answer any questions
      regarding my condition, health, etc. Thanks!
      Sheryl
    • Kevin Keply
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        I had brain surgury tumor removal 14 years ago.  I dont know anything about ventracles, but I can tell you my surgury went fine.

        Looking back, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.  You just have to make up your mind and be strong and rely on the Lord.  Thats what I did, and my recovery went fast.  I had a headache the first day that seemed bad, but I tried to opt to not have the tylenol.  That was stupid.  I gave in and took the tylenol.

        With my head all bandaged up, it seemed worse that what it really was.  I am in perfect health today tumor free.

        Im so glad I had the surgury!  My life has changed for the better.  Remember that with God, All things are possible, and he wants nothing but the best for his children.

        Trust me.  each day after surgury you will get better and better and better.  Each Day!

        Sheryl <massagebysher@...> wrote:
        Hello everyone! About a year ago my tumor was discovered. We watched
        it very closely & over a year's time it grew from 1.3cm to 1.7cm. Not
        much growth, but a concern nonetheless.  My neurosurgeon thinks it
        might be a ganglioneuroma & it is in my 3rd ventricle. I opted to
        have surgery before it grew any further & surgery is scheduled for
        Jan 27th. I've never even had general anesthesia before. My NS
        explained the procedure to me in detail & I have a lot of medical
        background. I've been a vet tech for 20 years & am also a massage
        therapist.  Is there anything to expect, ask about, etc. that the NS
        might not have mentioned? I'll be happy to answer any questions
        regarding my condition, health, etc.    Thanks!
        Sheryl

        ***IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, STOP BY AND COMPLETE THE PATIENT CARE QUESTIONNAIRE CONTAINED IN MESSAGE NUMBER 429***

        Community email addresses:
          Post message: BrainSurgery@...

        Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.egroups.com/community/BrainSurgery

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Trisha Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          Wow...  your email really hit me because it is for exactly this type of question that this website/maillist was started.

          In some ways, the sudden nature of the discovery and surgery for my tumor was a blessing.  I didn't have to watch and wait and I had very little time to anticipate what may be ahead.  But, you have a great advantage as well.  You have time to educate yourself.

          Do you feel you were adequately informed of what may lie ahead after your recovery?
          Absolutely 2 6.90%
          I was somewhat informed 8 27.59%
          I was vaguely informed 10 34.48%
          I had absolutely no information of what was to come 6 20.69%
          Due to extenuating circumstances (stroke, unconsciousness, etc.) my doctor had no way to explain this information to me. 3 10.34%

          The above poll was sad to me because it shows many people were uninformed about what was to come.  So, now you're one step up in this area! ________________________________________________________________________

          Select up to three services which would have been of significant value to you in your recovery period after treatment and/or surgery. Check "no services needed" if you feel that is the case.
          No services needed 1 1.33%
          Someone to make therapy and/or doctors' appointments for me 4 5.33%
          Someone to accompany me to therapy and/or doctors' visits for explanation and reminders of what was said 3 4.00%
          Transportation to visits 2 2.67%
          Assistance in the home (cleaning, shopping, preparation of meals, chores) 5 6.67%
          Assistance with personal care (dressing, bathing, feeding, etc.) 0 0.00%
          Education of the patient 8 10.67%
          Education of the family 6 8.00%
          Information about resources such as hotlines, mail lists, etc. 12 16.00%
          Written information about compensation techniques 7 9.33%
          Being able to talk to someone who had or has a brain tumor 12 16.00%
          Just having someone listen to how I felt 9 12.00%
          Having a written schedule prepared for me (med times, appointments, daily tasks, etc.) 1 1.33%
          Having someone keep a diary of my progress 1 1.33%
          Someone to pray with me 2 2.67%
          Someone to read to me 0 0.00%
          Something else (SEND POST TO SITE WITH EXPLANATION) 2 2.67%
          This poll revealed the importance of educating yourself and having emotional support - they came in first.  I am so glad you have posted your question.  Now you'll have some resources.

          Also, where do you live?  Since most of us did wish we had someone to talk to that would understand what we were experiencing, maybe someone lives in your area.  Another common wish was just having someone to listen to how we were feeling as we recovered.  It may be good to identify a friend who will support you in this way and to prepare them to be there to listen.  Maybe you could give him or her the information about this website and they could keep in touch with us for some support and answers to questions that may arise for them.

          There is so much to say, I don't know where to start.  Mostly, remember that your experience may differ from mine in that the area of the brain affected is different.  One thing that I find to be common is people expected to be back to "normal" alot quicker than was actually the case.  It takes time to heal and you need to be easy on yourself.  Take care of yourself and be good to yourself - if company is too much for you when you get home, limit the time you spend with others.  Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.  Write all your questions down and ask the doctor to explain.  Examples, what might I expect after my surgery?  Will I be on steroids?  Will I be able to return to work within ?? weeks?  Do I need someone to care for me temporarily after my surgery?  What should I expect after the surgery?

          I'm sure there are many other questions, this is just to name a few.  Maybe some other members will have more suggestions to add for you.

          As for me, I am not the same as before, I am better.  I appreciate the smallest things and don't let the big things bother me as much.  I can clear my mind for meditation easier than ever before because I am not so bogged down with the "should I have, why did I, maybe I should" thoughts.  I have to say, I like myself and my life so much better than ever before.  On that note, I'll show you one more poll.  You can view all the polls at the website:

          In what way has a brain tumor impacted your life in a most positive way?
          Newfound appreciation for life
          5 20.00%
          spiritual growth 8 32.00%
          Taking my time to really enjoy family and friends 5 20.00%
          Learning my/our own limits 7 28.00%

          Please stay in touch and let us know how you are feeling.  I myself will be out of town from Jan 3 through Jan 10 but there are almost 100 people in here so you are never far from support.

          Best of luck and good health to you - the actual surgery experience was not nearly as bad as I would have thought.  The recovery was the most difficult part, but with family/friends, emotional support and information, it can be easier for you.  Just take your time and don't rush yourself to do too much before you are ready.

          Trisha Williams, R.N.
          List Moderator
          5cm left frontal/temporal/parietal meningioma removed May 1999
          Still improving day by day

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
            Hi Sheryl,

            I had/have a colloid cyst in the 3rd ventricle. Had surgery in 1986 to remove it, but the doc decided to drain it instead. He felt removing it would put me in danger because of it's location. That type of surgery has improved so much since 1986, I've heard. Are you having any symptoms? I only had minor symptoms prior to surgery. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

            Sandy