Fwd: Pregnancy and Meningiomas

  • Camachoent@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2003
      In a message dated 8/18/2003 10:46:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Camachoent writes:

      In a message dated 7/22/2003 10:59:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LDelaneu@... writes:

      Hi, I was thinking about getting pregnant. My meningioma is 1 cm right now adjacent to the gyrus or something like that. Some have said that getting pregnant will make this tumor bigger causing problems and I should leave well enough alone since I have two children already and am 38.
      Has anyone gotten pregnant and their tumor stayed the same size. How  long have some of you monitored your tumors and they did not grow. Are their other websites where I could learn what estrogen type things I should avoid. Thanks Lisa

      Hi Lisa,
      My tumor recurred after the birth of my first child.  Although doctors reassured me there was no connection back then to my pregnancy, it remained in the back of my mind.  Now, all of a sudden, their "grand discovery" is that pregnancy can trigger hormones that cause tumors.   I decided not to risk it and not have any more children after my second child even though I always wanted three children.  Despite the fact that the tumor recurred anyway, I didn't want to make matters worse and was thankful for the two boys I was able to have.  But this had always been a big issue in my life anyway.   I also weighed the risks during pregancy regarding seizures, labor etc.
      All the best to you,
      Delia
      mallignant meningioma
      surgeries X6