Re: [brain tumor] Fwd: "Meningioma" on CNN

  • Camachoent@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
      In a message dated 5/28/2003 2:51:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, PurpleJule@... writes:

      I just wondered if there are any other M patients that still suffer from
      short term
      memory problems after 5 years or more from surgery/treatment??

      Julie in Kansas

      Dear Julie,
      I am a 24 year survivor and suffer from short term memory loss as a result of brain surgery.  It has gotten progressively worse with repeated surgeries.  So, I can definitely empathize and sympathize with you.
      Sometimes it's very embarrasing.  But I have developed my own ways of somewhat masking it in public.  For example, if I am speaking and lose my frame of thought, I will ever so casually change the subject by saying something you supposedly forgot to say.
      Delia
    • Trisha4080@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2003
        Julie:

        I'm four years since surgery and I, too, have had problems with short term
        memory loss.

        I'm going out on a limb here... catch me if I fall... You may all think I'm
        crazy (or is that, "know" I'm crazy?) but, I truly believe I have found
        something that has helped me with memory problems. I've been doing this for some
        time to help my organization, attention and short term memory skills and I, as
        well as people who know me well, have been amazed at the progress I have made.
        It used to be that I couldn't even make it through reading a sentence because
        I would forget the beginning by the time I got to the end. I progressed to
        essays, then short stories and finally, I have read my first Stephen King novel.
        I know it seems crazy, but I believe that computer games have really helped
        me.

        Computer games. Solitaire, Freecell, aol.com gamezone games like Whomper,
        Tumblebees, Poppitt, Concentration... I'd find a game I had trouble with
        keeping up with... then, when I found it easy to beat, I'd move on to another game.
        That, in addition to "uncluttering" my mind by freeing it up using programs
        like Outlook, the Palm Pilot... I was so worried I would forget something, I
        kept going over and over my "list" in my mind. Once it's on my "Things to Do"
        List, all I had to do was have a note on the frig (and bathroom mirror) saying
        "Don't forget to check your Things to Do list". I'll bet some of you can
        identify with that! Happy to say, I don't need those notes anymore.

        Maybe it was just improvement which I would have experienced anyway, but,
        based on the prognoses I'd received prior, I don't think so. I still have
        occasional problems with this, but not nearly as bad as before and I can definitely
        see the correlation between fatigue/stress/being overwhelmed and the degree of
        problems with memory. With that in mind, by working to minimize the mental
        "clutter" I CAN control (i.e., time for quiet time, expectations of myself,
        the length of my to do list, obligations I commit to, etc) I have been happy
        with the results.

        Just an idea...

        Trisha Fields, R.N.
        5cm right frontal/temporal/partietal meningioma
        removed May 1999