Medical decision

  • Camachoent@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3 11:42 PM
      Hi mates,
            Hope you are all doing well.  I just wanted to let you know that I went to NYU and have decided for the GAMMA KNIFE treatment.  I feel it is the best thing for me and I was excited when I was told I was a candidate!  How I love hearing those words! LOL!! (some of you know what I mean).  My tumor is still small enough for them to do this.  The doctor told me that I held a record in as far as the number of years I have survived with this ticking time bomb in my head.  I can go home in two days and continue with my life with this "bought" time.  He said it can hold the tumor(s) for about 5 years or eventually kill it.  They then made an appt to see a neuro-oncologist in the same hospital to plan on future treatments or decisions.
        In addition, I am excited to inform that after several years of searching for a good Neurologist, I finally found one.  He is HUMAN!!!  Can you imagine that?  He is actually very concerned about my overall health and called me twice today because of concerns about my low white blood cell count.   He did a very thorough neuro exam to the extreme on taking blood pressure on both sides!  He spent almost an hour and a half with me and during that time I was only able to cover my first surgery in detail.  I gave him a "run-down" of the other 5 LOL!!  He's got a great bedside manner, and that was something that took me a long time to find.  I am sharing this with you because I would like all of you to know that it's really OK to keep changing doctors until you find one that you are happy and comfortable with.  I got many remarks from my surgeon and my internist because of the constant change, but it was well worth it since I am no longer intimidated by doctors.
            Anyway, I have continued to fall, dear friends.  After falling at home, I fell in the street, and then I fell in church; I literally fell on my knees, no pun intended!  I don't know what is happening, but my family tease me by telling me they're gonna have to get me a rubber suit.
             For the first time in a very long time, I feel that everything is in place for my next round with the beast that has taken my life apart, and I am in the process of getting it back, again, and being able to share it with all of you.  I think I have all my bases covered.  I will be posting tomorrow after I see the neuro-oncologist.
            Please tell me what you think, guys.  I value your opinion.
      Love ya all,
      Delia
      malignant meningioma
      surgeries X6, Columbia Presbyterian Med Cr. and NYU Hospital.
      radiation therapy,
      other therapies