5045MNG A revised updated version of old dental xrays risk for meningioma news story

  • Anne McGinnis Breen
    Apr 8, 2012
      My dear Meningimates,
      Here's a link my son found on google search that should still work,
      however it is a toned down version of what I read last week online.
      I have cut and pasted the revised edition below.

      http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:F4Yn9-bQKvAJ:thegazette.com/2012/04/05/study-frequent-dental-x-rays-linked-to-most-common-brain-tumor/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

      Study: Frequent dental x-rays linked to most common brain tumor
      People who received frequent dental x-rays in the past have an increased risk of developing the most commonly diagnosed primary brain tumor in the United States. That is the finding of a study published early online in CANCER, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Cancer Society. Although dental x-rays are necessary in many cases, these findings suggest that moderate use of this form of imaging may be of benefit to some patients.
      Ionizing radiation is the primary environmental risk factor for developing meningioma, which is the most frequently diagnosed primary brain tumor in the United States. Dental x-rays are the most common artificial source of exposure to ionizing radiation for individuals living in this country.
      To examine the link between dental x-rays and the risk of developing meningioma, Elizabeth Claus, MD, PhD, of the Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and her colleagues studied information from 1,433 patients who were diagnosed with the disease between the ages of ages 20 and 79 years and were residents of the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Carolina, the San Francisco Bay Area, and eight counties in Houston, Texas, between May 1, 2006 and April 28, 2011. The investigators also studied information from a control group of 1,350 individuals who had similar characteristics but who had not been diagnosed with a meningioma.
      Over a lifetime, patients with meningioma were more than twice as likely as controls to report having ever had a bitewing exam, which uses an x-ray film held in place by a tab between the teeth. Individuals who reported receiving bitewing exams on a yearly or more frequent basis were 1.4 to 1.9 times as likely to develop meningioma as controls. (Risks differed depending on the age at which the exams were done).
      An increased risk of meningioma was also linked with panorex exams (which are taken outside of the mouth and show all of the teeth on one film) taken at a young age or on a yearly or more frequent basis. Individuals who reported receiving these exams when they were younger than 10 years old had a 4.9 times increased risk of developing meningioma. Those who reported receiving them on a yearly or more frequent basis were 2.7 to 3.0 times (depending on age) as likely to develop meningioma as controls.
      The researchers noted that today’s dental patients are exposed to lower doses of radiation than in the past. Nonetheless, “the study presents an ideal opportunity in public health to increase awareness regarding the optimal use of dental x-rays, which unlike many risk factors is modifiable,” said Dr. Claus. “Specifically, the American Dental Association’s guidelines for heathy persons suggest that children receive 1 x-ray every 1-2 years, teens receive 1 x-ray every 1.5-3 years, and adults receive 1 x-ray every 2-3 years. Widespread dissemination of this information allows for increased dialogue between patients and their health care providers,” she added. A 2006 statement by the American Dental Association highlights the need for dentists to examine the risks and benefits of dental x-rays and confirms that there is little evidence to support the use of dental x-rays of all teeth in patients who do not experience any symptoms.
      Article: “Dental X-rays and Risk of Meningioma.” Elizabeth B. Claus, Lisa Calvocoressi, Melissa L. Bondy, Joellen M. Schildkraut, Joseph L. Wiemels, and Margaret Wrensch. CANCER; Published Online: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 (DOI: 10.1002/cncr.26625).

      Author Contact: Michael Greenwood of the Yale University School of Public Health’s public affairs and communications office at michael.greenwood@... or +1 (203) 737-5151.

      CANCER is a peer-reviewed publication of the American Cancer Society integrating scientific information from worldwide sources for all oncologic specialties. The objective of CANCER is to provide an interdisciplinary forum for the exchange of information among oncologic disciplines concerned with the etiology and course of human cancer. CANCER is published by Wiley-Blackwell and can be accessed online at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/journal/cancer

      Some additional AMB notes
      It is the cumulative lifetime total doses of medical and other radiation exposure that can cause cancer eventually. Thats why it is wise to limit your cat scans, especially in young children. Multiple full mouth dental xrays ( more than 5 or 6) from more than twenty or forty years ago in then very young people, especially in young girls like I had are a non-modifiable increasing long term hazard for eventual growth and development of meningiomas. pituitary adenomas, parotid "salivary gland" tumors and acoustic neuromas. Frequent CAT scans done for head injury or for epilepsy consultations in children and young adults may be an additional risk factor. . No one seems to think much about major storms that may have damaged hospital or old dental radiation equipment that can accidentally leak radiation to the public or the medical computer mistakes made when too much brain radiation is used accidentally because of human error. I sincerely do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I just went last week and heard the world renowned Dr Andrew Weil speak where he works at the University Medical Center in Tucson, Arizona of the real risks of over exposure to medical radiation from too many Cat scans to our future health safety and longevity.

      The earlier version of this story also mentioned prior head or neck radiation therapy for leukemia or thyroid cancer and prior Gamma Knife radiation to that list of increasing risk factors simply because I want everyone to know as much as possible about their current treatment options. It is also an established fact that multiple US abdominal cat scans, also more commonly done on women with female problems like uterine fibroids than men caused abdominal cancer in 27,000 Americans in 2007.

      I am educating and informing all our readers of long term medical radiation treatment risks. Some of our newer readers who had already made their best possible treatment choices because of tumor location or other major health risks and their doctors advice may have chosen radiation therapy over surgery, although until they approve some form of chemotherapy, brain surgery is still the primary initial treatment in order to get an accurate pathology and the correct prognostic diagnosis needed to plan future treatment options unless a needle brain biopsy is done first. .

      Radiation exposure risks are cumulative over your individual lifetime usually after a long latency period, thats why meningioma is so common in older women. So please be considerate of all group members who have a need to know all the available facts, Some people like me have inherited a known genetic tendency to greater radiation risks based on prior rad exposure levels of my American father who fought to defend our country or those in the Japanese population who we dropped atomic bombs on during World War II.
      . .

      GBYAY Anne McGinnis Breen
      See my ponytail bouncing and my smiley face winking at you? &;>)

      Please scroll all the way down to my first two blog entries for my list of 28 questions to ask your medical team about brain tumor treatments plus my personal meningioma alternative drug therapy RU486 Mifepristone and my new blog comments about the obsolete 1990s EPA radiation risk calculations for women and children are found at http://gbyay.blogspot.com
      Keep you faith, cherish your reason, treasure your mind and hold to your own good purpose...be not afraid!