      From: cindirixey@...
      To: braintmr@...; braintumor-treatments@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, May 9, 2011 6:05 am
      Subject: [BRAINTMR] Science Daily neurosurgery brain bypass technique

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110415124057.htm
      excerpts:
      Neurosurgeon Pushes Brain Bypass to New Heights

      cienceDaily (May 8, 2011) — On the cover of a recent edition of Neurosurgery,
      eaders saw an artist's intricate depiction of the high-flow brain bypass
      echnique developed by SLU professor of neurosurgery, Saleem Abdulrauf, M.D.

      Abulrauf likens brain bypass to bypass surgery for the heart. When a patient has
      n aneurysm involving a brain blood vessel or a tumor at the base of the skull
      rapping around a blood vessel, surgeons eliminate the problem vessel by
      eplacing it with an artery from another part of the body.

      rain bypass surgery was first developed in the 1960's in Switzerland by M. Gazi
      asargil, M.D, who is considered the father of modern neurosurgery. Used for
      omplex aneurysms and tumors deep in the base of the skull, Abdulrauf built upon
      he procedure developed by his mentor, Yasargil. Instead of replacing a problem
      rtery with a healthy one from the scalp, as the original procedure did,
      bdulrauf used an artery from the arm to allow a larger vessel to be replaced.

      With this new technique, we can treat patients in a way that minimizes recovery
      ime and offers the best chance at keeping their brains healthy," Abdulrauf
      aid.

      ournal Reference:
      Saleem I Abdulrauf, Justin M Sweeney, Yedathore S Mohan, Sheri K Palejwala.
      hort Segment Internal Maxillary Artery to Middle Cerebral Artery Bypass: A
      ovel Technique for Extracranial-to-Intracranial Bypass. Neurosurgery, 2011; 68
      3): 804 DOI: 10.1227/NEU.0b013e3182093355