      From: cindirixey@...
      To: braintmr@...; braintumor-treatments@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, Apr 2, 2011 6:21 am
      Subject: [BRAINTMR] Science Daily brain tumors annual cancer report Journal of National Cancer Institute

      ,,, according to an annual report on the status of cancer published online
      arch 31 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
      Trends in death rates during the most recent 10- and 5-year periods decreased
      or seven of the top 15 cancer types in both men and women (colon and rectum,
      rain [malignant], stomach, and kidney cancers, and non-Hodgkin lymphoma,
      eukemia, and myeloma); for cancers of the lung, prostate, and oral cavity in
      en; and for breast and bladder cancers in women. The decreases for ovary, lung,
      nd cervical cancers were limited to the most recent 5-year period.

      rain Tumors
      his year's report has a special section on brain tumors and includes, for the
      irst time, data on non-malignant brain tumors diagnosed from 2004 through 2007.
      he authors found that the incidence of neuroepithelial brain tumors, a common,
      sually malignant type, fell an average 0.4 percent a year from 1987 through
      007. This decrease balanced an increase of about 2 percent a year from 1980
      hrough 1987, leaving long-term incidence unchanged.

      ther highlights from the brain tumor section of the report:
      Nonmalignant tumors were about twice as common as malignant tumors among adults
      ged 20 and older.
      rain tumors in children were much rarer than in adults but much more likely to
      e malignant; 65.2 percent were malignant in children vs. 33.7 percent in
      umors of the neuroepithelial tissue were the most common kind of malignant
      rain tumor and glioblastoma was the most common subtype of neuroepithelial
      he most common nonmalignant tumor was meningioma, and it was 2.3 times more
      ommon in women than in men.
      In conclusion the authors write that the "decreases in overall cancer incidence
      nd death rates in nearly all racial and ethnic groups are highly encouraging."
      owever, they note that the number of people in the U.S. age 65 years and older,
      eople that are at increased risk of many common types of cancer, is expected to
      ouble in size by 2030 compared to 2000.

      Even with declining cancer incidence rates," they write, "the absolute number
      f individuals diagnosed with cancer will continue to increase because of these
      opulation changes…." They conclude that "effective management of the cancer
      urden will require the application of sound cancer control strategies in
      revention, detection, treatment, and survivorship, as well as resources to
      rovide good quality of care."
      You can subscribe to receive
      aily articles on health research through Science Daily. It's a good resource.
      Peace, joy, friendship, hope and healing,