Free Download Alert 08MAY17

  • xs750rider
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2017

      Hello Boxsters,

      Although the calendar reads May, the weather says March.

      The temps this morning were in the 30s and 40s F in the DC area.

      I had to turn the heat on to keep lovelywife Cherie from freezing!

      A slight warm up is forecast for this week, but only slight.

      This week the Chairman floats out an unusual kit from Asian repopper, UPC.

      The evidence supports that this kit was originally released by Frog.

      Maybe the Chief can pipe in with some additional info on this kit.

      I was able to find a half dozen images claiming to be the Cadiz, or it's Pakistani Navy incarnation, the PNS Khaibar.

      It was sunk in 1971 by the Indian Navy during one of their frequent military confrontations.

      All the images are 1280 pixels.

      Get them @ http://www.boxartden.com/FD/

      Jean

    • Robert Eleazer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2017

        I assume that ship is a destroyer?  Looks funny with two guns in the forward turrets and no apparent guns aft.

        Thanks!

        Robert

        Although the calendar reads May, the weather says March.

        The temps this morning were in the 30s and 40s F in the DC area.

        I had to turn the heat on to keep lovelywife Cherie from freezing!

        A slight warm up is forecast for this week, but only slight.

        This week the Chairman floats out an unusual kit from Asian repopper, UPC.

        The evidence supports that this kit was originally released by Frog.

        Maybe the Chief can pipe in with some additional info on this kit.

        I was able to find a half dozen images claiming to be the Cadiz, or it's Pakistani Navy incarnation, the PNS Khaibar.

        It was sunk in 1971 by the Indian Navy during one of their frequent military confrontations.

        All the images are 1280 pixels.

        Get them @ http://www.boxartden.com/FD/

        Jean

        No virus found in this message.

      • Brooks Rowlett
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2017
          The Frog issue was HMS TRAFALGAR. The kit was also, as other Frog its when Frog sold their molds, re-issued by Novo, in Russia. A later UPC boxing with photo boxtop was released just as "Battle Class Destroyer". I'm not sure but Frog may also have released the kit with the generic class name as well.

          A detailed build, with the comment that this was Frog's first ship model kit:
          http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic. php?t=3604

          Brooks A Rowlett

          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2017
            Robert;

            The lack of heavy guns aft was so they could fit more Bofors AA. War experience had shown that Japanese airmen liked a six o'clock high attack on surface combatants, so the heaviest concentration of rapid-fire guns was put on the aft superstructure and quarterdeck.

            The Battles were designed from the outset for Pacific warfare. Ironically, only one, HMS Barfleur, was actually finished in time to see service with BPF in the closing days of the war.

            The Battle "design philosophy" was carried forward postwar with the Daring class, which were simply referred to as "Daring class ships" because even the Admiralty could never really figure out if they were destroyers with a primary escort mission, frigates with a primary ASW mission (like the Hunt class), or light AA cruisers, basically  Didos that "shrank in the wash".

            And we thought we had problems with the Leahys.

            Sincerely,

            Carl B.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2017

              Keep in mind that relative to what constitutes a "Destroyer" the USN's latest Destroyer, the USS Zumwalt, is 3 ft longer than the USS Arizona - and is commanded by Capt James Kirk.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2017
                Robert;

                Another Captain James T. Kirk (no, really) commanded the U.S. Army rocket artillery unit that shot up Chapultepec Palace in Mexico City in 1848 as the Marines stormed the place. I've often wondered how well the original Star Trek went over south of the border.

                Sincerely,

                Carl B.