Re: [Box-Art] Free Download Alert 01MAY17 [1 Attachment]

  • Robert Eleazer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2017

      There is a painting similar to that artwork hanging in the Pentagon.  It is  a similar kind of snow "scramble" scene, with the red markings.  But from what I recall it shows the B model of the F-89, with cannon rather than rocket armament.

      I understand that compared to the troublesome F-86D the F-89 was a fairly reliable and well regarded airplane, at least fro the maintenance crews..

      How many airplane snow scenes can y'all think of?  I recall the Aurora XB-70, and I think the Revell 1/72 I-16, the Revell P2V Neptune, and probably the Accurate Miniatures IL-2.

      Thanks!

      Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2017
        Robert;

        There's also the 1/48 Revell USN Antarctic Sikorsky H-19, moulded in orange, which being Antarctic shows it (of course) in snow (darned near a whiteout, in fact).

        The Hobbycraft Canada 1/72 DHC Otter shows one in U.S. Army (?) markings with skis, so of course it's a snow scene. The old Matchbox 1/72 DHC Twin Otter was similar.

        IIRC, at least one release of the old Revell 1/96 Fokker Friendship (Frontier maybe?) showed a snowy night scene at an airport.

        "Snow" scenes are more common with armor kits. The original release of the Monogram 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf. H back in 1968 showed snow in the background. And it seems almost unheard of for a T-34 tank kit to have artwork not showing it in winter- the Ostfront, and all that. (The kit makers obviously never experienced a Ukraine summer, let alone the Rasputitza mud of the spring.)

        Sincerely,

        Carl B.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2017
        Not a beautiful example of boxart but the Minicraft 737-300 in American markings has quite the snow scene going.   Rumor has it that -300 mold has gone missing so the kit though not that old has become rare.

        Ken