Free Downlad Alert 24APR17

  • xs750rider
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2017

      Hello Boxsters,

      Today is the last Monday in April, May will be here soon, and it is Free Download time.

      This week the Chairman floats out an oldie from long time balsa kit maker, Sterling.

      Sterling took a quick dip into the plastic kit market, but quickly returned to their wooden ways.

      This weeks FD is one of their nautical plastic kits.

      The boxart is a festive painting of a couple blasting through the water in a 1955, Chris-Craft, 21 foot two-seat runabout.  They normally came with a Chris-Craft KBL straight six motor, but many were modified with huge eight-cylinder and even a 12-cylinder engine.

      Restored Cobras sell today for well over $300K!

      From my archives and the Web I dug up sixteen images that portray the Northrop entry into the 1971, USAF competition for a new Light Weigh Fighter (LWF), the YF-17 Cobra.

      The other competitor was the General Dynamics YF-16 Fighting Falcon.

      We all know how that turned out!

      The F-16 got the USAF contract, and the YF-17 morphed into the F/A-18 Hornet for the Navy & Marines.

      It is a bit ironic that both have been produced in large numbers, and are still in production with the latest versions.

      All the images are 1280 pixels.

      Get them @ http://www.boxartden.com/FD/

      Jean

    • J.R.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2017
        Jean,

        Fantastic period boxart... but, y'know, looking at it I could swear it really does say that inside the box is a "21 Foot Plastic Boat Kit".

        -- J.R.

        fa23@... [Box-Art] wrote:

        Hello Boxsters,

        Today is the last Monday in April, May will be here soon, and it is Free Download time.

        This week the Chairman floats out an oldie from long time balsa kit maker, Sterling.

        Sterling took a quick dip into the plastic kit market, but quickly returned to their wooden ways.

        This weeks FD is one of their nautical plastic kits.

        The boxart is a festive painting of a couple blasting through the water in a 1955, Chris-Craft, 21 foot two-seat runabout.  They normally came with a Chris-Craft KBL straight six motor, but many were modified with huge eight-cylinder and even a 12-cylinder engine.

        Restored Cobras sell today for well over $300K!

        From my archives and the Web I dug up sixteen images that portray the Northrop entry into the 1971, USAF competition for a new Light Weigh Fighter (LWF), the YF-17 Cobra.

        The other competitor was the General Dynamics YF-16 Fighting Falcon.

        We all know how that turned out!

        The F-16 got the USAF contract, and the YF-17 morphed into the F/A-18 Hornet for the Navy & Marines.

        It is a bit ironic that both have been produced in large numbers, and are still in production with the latest versions.

        All the images are 1280 pixels.

        Get them @ http://www.boxartden.com/FD/

        Jean

      • Robert Eleazer
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 25, 2017

          I can't believe they put  fin on it!  Well I guess the cars of that time had them, so...

          But why is the steering wheel on the right side?

          Thanks!

          Robert

          Today is the last Monday in April, May will be here soon, and it is Free Download time.

          This week the Chairman floats out an oldie from long time balsa kit maker, Sterling.

          Sterling took a quick dip into the plastic kit market, but quickly returned to their wooden ways.

          This weeks FD is one of their nautical plastic kits.

          The boxart is a festive painting of a couple blasting through the water in a 1955, Chris-Craft, 21 foot two-seat runabout.  They normally came with a Chris-Craft KBL straight six motor, but many were modified with huge eight-cylinder and even a 12-cylinder engine.

          Restored Cobras sell today for well over $300K!

          From my archives and the Web I dug up sixteen images that portray the Northrop entry into the 1971, USAF competition for a new Light Weigh Fighter (LWF), the YF-17 Cobra.

          The other competitor was the General Dynamics YF-16 Fighting Falcon.

          We all know how that turned out!

          The F-16 got the USAF contract, and the YF-17 morphed into the F/A-18 Hornet for the Navy & Marines.

          It is a bit ironic that both have been produced in large numbers, and are still in production with the latest versions.

          All the images are 1280 pixels.

          Get them @ http://www.boxartden.com/FD/

          Jean

          No virus found in this message.

        • ABU625
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 25, 2017
            Robert:

            Lots of speedboats have steering wheels on the right. I've driven several. Don't know the logic behind it, but they're common.

            - Allen

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2017
              J.R.;

              Round2 is reissuing the Lindberg 1959  Century Coronado and Owens Deluze Cruiser powerboat kits in 1/24 scale. I'm wondering if the Sterling moulds still exist, and if so what scale that kit was actually in.

              Sincerely,

              Carl B.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26, 2017
                Allen & Robert;

                I suspect it's because of nautical tradition. We call "left" and "right" on a boat "port" and "starboard" because way back when, boats were steered by a tiller with a rudder over the right side of the stern. That was called a "steering board" or "steerboard", which was just what it was, hence the right side was called the "steerboard" side. Ergo, "starboard".

                By the same token, the left side was called the "docking" or "porting" side, because it was the side you put up against the stone quay so you wouldn't bust the "steerboard". Therefore "port" or "portside".

                It stands to reason that a pilot of a small boat ought to be on the starboard side, since that way when he's docking he can see what's on the "water" side better than if he was stationed to port.

                At sea, the rules of navigation tend to favor "driving" the boat "English style", keeping "left" instead of "right" as we do in the States. I suspect British cars are right hand drive simply due to an odd extension of nautical tradition.

                Just a guess.