WARNING FROM CO-MODERATOR

  • Ken Casseres-Palmer
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
      PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK JUST SENT FROM THE BELOW MEMBER.  It is possible or probable that this member's email address book was hijacked by a spammer, as this type of message is always suspicious.  THE LINK MAY BE DANGEROUS.  I am contacting the real member offline to try to resolve this situation.  I invite any computer gurus to do the same.

      Thank you,

      Ken Palmer, Co-Moderator

        Exactly. This one had all the markings of a Poison Apple: It was sent to multiple addresses 'in the clear' using the CC: line, there was no personal message from the supposed sender telling us why they were sending us this link or why we should be interested in it enough to click on it. Plus the link itself just looks weird, not like what a usual link to a hobbyist site would look like. Nor was the message signed by the supposed sender. When you get something like this it is always best to just delete it immediately. Don't click anything and most important do not reply to the message asking for clarification -- that just confirms you e-mail address to the spammer/hacker who sent the thing and opens you up to more attacks.

        -- JR

        Ken Casseres-Palmer wrote:
        PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK JUST SENT FROM THE BELOW MEMBER.  It is possible or probable that this member's email address book was hijacked by a spammer, as this type of message is always suspicious.  THE LINK MAY BE DANGEROUS.  I am contacting the real member offline to try to resolve this situation.  I invite any computer gurus to do the same.

        Thank you,

        Ken Palmer, Co-Moderator

          I sincerely apologize for this. I don't know how and where, but my Hotmail got hit. I changed my password and am trying to figure out what happened.

          To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011

            I clicked on it and it immediately told me my computer had been infected with trojans and spyware and all sort of stuff when I clicked cancell to get out of it it kept coming back and starting to run a program. Only thing I could think of doing was turning off the computer. It seemed to stop all of the problems and the Library computer seemed to do all right after that. I hope I did  not let anyone into my e-mail account with that trick. It caught me with the Star Trek in the address. I thought I was old enough to not do stupid things like that. I Guess Not.
            Charlie W. t

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
              Group,

              May I recommend two virus products that have kept my system 'healthy' for over two years now and that is with surfing the net into areas that are 'top shelf' in their content:

              Avast - I run it constantly in the back ground. It will alert me when a page loads with malicious content and block it out right! It is FREE and does the job. It is so good, that I went ahead and purchased it.

              DrWeb - Hands down the BEST software as it is designed by a former Russian hacker/Virus programmer! He maintains it almost daily, has a chat room, and is able to get to almost ANY virus that gets anywere on your system; i.e. ram, boot blocks/sectors, private disk areas, cab files, temp files, cookies, anything! It is also FREE, but I recommend you purchase it to support this guy and his product. His apps are sold to Educational and Military IT departments. He has been around for about 5 years if IIRC, so he just didn't show up last week!

              DO NOT RELY ON Norton, or Symmantec ... they suck and are really only there to aide you in RECOVERING from an attack.

              Avast prevents, and if it fails (rarely), DrWeb gets in and exterminates the virus/malware/spyware.

              Both products can be googled and I highly recommend them.

              Jonathan

              --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, "Charles 1 Model" <cwindes@...> wrote:

              > I clicked on it and it immediately told me my computer had been infected with trojans and spyware and all sort of stuff when I clicked cancell to get out of it it kept coming back and starting to run a program. Only thing I could think of doing was turning off the computer. It seemed to stop all of the problems and the Library computer seemed to do all right after that. I hope I did not let anyone into my e-mail account with that trick. It caught me with the Star Trek in the address. I thought I was old enough to not do stupid things like that. I Guess Not.
              > Charlie W. t

            • black_vises
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                Mike,

                Stop what you are doing, and go download DrWeb and the 'CureIt' software. It is FREE FREE FREE and it will clean 99.9% of what is out there. The .1% that it misses is due to the fact that the newest bi-weekly CureIt has yet to be released!

                http://www.drweb.com/?lng=en Look under the FREE Services column for CureIt.

                This link I just posted will save you and others hours/days and $$$ and its valid.

                Trust me on this one, DrWeb will find what you have and kill it!

                Jonathan

                > I sincerely apologize for this. I don't know how and where, but my Hotmail got hit. I changed my password and am trying to figure out what happened.
                >
                > To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com
                > From: jrlist@...
                > Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 21:11:11 -0400
                > Subject: Re: [Box-Art] WARNING FROM CO-MODERATOR

                > Exactly. This one had all
                > the markings of a Poison Apple: It was sent to multiple addresses 'in
                > the clear' using the CC: line, there was no personal message from the
                > supposed sender telling us why they were sending us this link or why we
                > should be interested in it enough to click on it. Plus the link itself
                > just looks weird, not like what a usual link to a hobbyist site would
                > look like. Nor was the message signed by the supposed sender. When you
                > get something like this it is always best to just delete it
                > immediately. Don't click anything and most important do not reply to
                > the message asking for clarification -- that just confirms you e-mail
                > address to the spammer/hacker who sent the thing and opens you up to
                > more attacks.
                >

                > -- JR
                >

                > Ken Casseres-Palmer wrote:
                >

                > PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK JUST SENT FROM THE BELOW
                > MEMBER. It is possible or probable that this member's email address
                > book was hijacked by a spammer, as this type of message is always
                > suspicious. THE LINK MAY BE DANGEROUS. I am contacting the real
                > member offline to try to resolve this situation. I invite any computer
                > gurus to do the same.
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Ken Palmer, Co-Moderator
                >

                > --- On Wed, 6/1/11, Mike R <mego73@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > From: Mike R <mego73@...>
                >
                > Subject: [Box-Art]
                >
                > To: lou@..., startrekfiero@...,
                > jsnmd1958@..., asgardfigures@...,
                > manager@..., krikzil@..., gullofive@...,
                > teeveecloset@..., box-art@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2011, 7:56 AM

                > to sender | Reply
                > to group | Reply via
                > web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
                > Recent Activity:
                >
                > New Members 1
                >
                > Visit Your Group
                >

                > Switch
                > to: Text-Only,
                > Daily
                > Digest • Unsubscribe
                > • Terms
                > of Use
                >

                > .

              • Charles 1 Model
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Thanks for the info but the Library is running a very old dMicrosoft Browser and they do not want to up-grade it so they probably will not go for that either. Their system is so slow it is acutally like watching paint really peeling off of a wal, and the paint would be faster.
                  Charlie

                  May I recommend two virus products that have kept my system 'healthy' for over two years now and that is with surfing the net into areas that are 'top shelf' in their content:

                  Avast - I run it constantly in the back ground. It will alert me when a page loads with malicious content and block it out right!  It is FREE and does the job.  It is so good, that I went ahead and purchased it.

                  DrWeb - Hands down the BEST software as it is designed by a former Russian hacker/Virus programmer!  He maintains it almost daily, has a chat room, and is able to get to almost ANY virus that gets anywere on your system; i.e. ram, boot blocks/sectors, private disk areas, cab files, temp files, cookies, anything!  It is also FREE, but I recommend you purchase it to support this guy and his product. His apps are sold to Educational and Military IT departments.  He has been around for about 5 years if IIRC, so he just didn't show up last week!

                  DO NOT RELY ON Norton, or Symmantec ... they suck and are really only there to aide you in RECOVERING from an attack.

                  Avast prevents, and if it fails (rarely), DrWeb gets in and exterminates the virus/malware/spyware.

                  Both products can be googled and I highly recommend them.

                  Jonathan

                  --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, "Charles 1 Model" <cwindes@...> wrote:

                  > I clicked on it and it immediately told me my computer had been infected with trojans and spyware and all sort of stuff when I clicked cancell to get out of it it kept coming back and starting to run a program. Only thing I could think of doing was turning off the computer. It seemed to stop all of the problems and the Library computer seemed to do all right after that. I hope I did not let anyone into my e-mail account with that trick. It caught me with the Star Trek in the address. I thought I was old enough to not do stupid things like that. I Guess Not.
                  >  Charlie W. t

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      Box-Art-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      Box-Art-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Charlie,

                    UGHH!

                    Using a library computer ... that isn't a form of 'Safe Hex'! Its probably one of the 'dirtiest' ways of surfing :(

                    Jonathan

                    --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, "Charles 1 Model" <cwindes@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the info but the Library is running a very old dMicrosoft Browser and they do not want to up-grade it so they probably will not go for that either. Their system is so slow it is acutally like watching paint really peeling off of a wal, and the paint would be faster.
                    > Charlie

                  • craviola990
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                      Mike wrote:

                      "I sincerely apologize for this. I don't know how and where, but my Hotmail got hit. I changed my password and am trying to figure out what happened."

                      No strain Mike, and we appreciate very much you taking the time to "Officially" identify yourself! :-)

                      Just got back into town, so this is the first I'm seeing of this.

                      All the Yahoo! groups have been getting hit lately, and I knew that our time was coming soon. As this problem gets worse (Hopefully not), it's bound to cause all kinds of problems; overkill on email, bad blood, etc, so, just try to hang on tight as best you can.

                      Please never click on any suspicious looking link you see here, even if it appears to be from one of our mainstay members.

                      Any of these we get in the future, we will do our best to properly identify said member FIRST, before we just send them packing.

                      Kudos to The Chief for getting on this so quickly...thanks Ken!

                      As far as the spammers...well, time wounds all heals...

                      Great trip to my hometown, and will share pics of the Hiller Air Museum (Hiller Flying Platform & Boeing SST cockpit included...oh boy!) shortly.

                      Best, Christian
                    • Mike R
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                        The spamming occurred in a short space of time and whomever it was didn't bother to mess with my password so I changed it quickly and there is no more rouge messages as far as I can see.

                        I have had this account for over 10 years and my password was pretty basic (a number written out) after what I have read, Password hacking involves many shots in the dark for so called "basic" passwords. That's why many people recommend a password that uses a word and numbers. You learn something new everyday :)

                        To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                          Well...I guess if one is going to click on suspicious links, one should use someone else's computer, though I suppose it might be possible to infect one's own email account even on someone else's computer?

                          Ken

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                            Mike wrote:

                            The spamming occurred in a short space of time and whomever it was didn't bother to mess with my password so I changed it quickly and there is no more rouge messages as far as I can see.

                            I have had this account for over 10 years and my password was pretty basic (a number written out) after what I have read, Password hacking involves many shots in the dark for so called "basic" passwords. That's why many people recommend a password that uses a word and numbers. You learn something new everyday :)

                            Great, thanks Mike...Ken, please feel free to move Mike back to normal status.

                            Best, Chris
                          • black_vises
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                              Ken and group,

                              If a system is infected, it will 'latch onto' any and all sites, accounts, e-mail programs, ect. that you use.

                              Say you send an e-mail from a Internet Cafe or Library computer.
                              The computer is infected.

                              Any e-mail you send, will carry the infection. It will also send a copy back to itself so that when you get home into your home system, that system gets infected.

                              It looks at your mailbox and sends itself to e-mail addresses you have received, and sent e-mail to/from. It will send to your address book, your blocked list...

                              You log onto your bank account from that library computer. Viruses and malware will record your key strokes and therefore passwords you use to log into bankamerica.com, what-ever-yourbank.com. Now it knows your username and password and the bank. It will e-mail that information directly to people who know how to drain your accounts and never be caught.

                              I could go on and on with all the nefarious tricks and methods, but it would frighten most from using the web.

                              The only way to keep your system truly safe is to never plug it into the internet and use only commercially available software from reputible companies. Anything beyond that, its a dice roll.

                              Jonathan

                              P.s. Library computers a nortorious for DoS (denial of service), hacking, and virus vectors.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                                Done!

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                                  Mike,

                                  The current slew of virus, malware, spyware, often record key board strokes ... changing the password or 64/128 bit encryption isn't the answer.

                                  The best way to keep your system free while having it on the net is to not visit ANY porn sites, not even accidentally, and only visit sites that use secure (https) urls.

                                  A virus can get on your system by simply opening an e-mail or clicking a link as we have just wittnessed.

                                  Think 'Safe Sex' when surfing the internet. Don't visit sites you are not familiar with unless youn understand the risks and can handle the situation.

                                  E.g., you visit a site and suddenly your web browser window increases in size for no reason ... *** ALERT *** !!!

                                  Don't click the 'Close this site 'OK' button' on the window that pops up ... the 'cancel' and 'close' buttons are both tied to a script that will run to infect your system.

                                  If you get a redirect or a strange page, hit control alt delete, select the task manager, in the task manager, kill the browser program. Don't attempt to close the browser through any of the 'X' or close buttons on the browser as your browser is now a loaded gun aiming at your computer and the personal information contained on it.

                                  If you are so inclined to visit, 'Top Shelf Reading' sites, then don't use your Windows or Mac software. Instead, down load a bootible Linux CD. KNOPPIX is one that I use on occassion. You download the ISO, and burn a bootible DVD/CD.

                                  You place the Bootible CD in your CDROM drive, reboot your system and a Linux O/S that is NON-Writabel (its on a CD/DVD that can't be writen to so no virus get in!!!). You can surf, run into unsafe hex sites and have no issues ... well not completely because your Windows hardrive will be visible under the Linix O/S and that leaves it open to attack.

                                  I know people who have diskless CD/DVD booting system that have nothing but RAM and DVD/CD Player and only use that to surf the net. Its a bit extreme but for some they go to that extreme.

                                  I hope what I have posted helps keep the internet safe for all of us.

                                  Personal side note, I hate what the intenet has become. If I had to weigh the good against the bad, I would say the internet is an overall bad thing.

                                  And I am not some 'Johnny come lately' to the net. I was there at Silicon Graphics in 1992 when two of the founders of SGI moved down the street from us on Shoreline BLVD in Mountain View CA, and formed Netscape. I was a Netscape beta tester before the rest of the world even knew what a commecial internet was ... I experience the 'end of the internet' often in those days.

                                  I just have come to the conclusing that if you look at the overall good and the overall evil of the internet, evil wins hands down. This howsoever is JUST my opinion ;)

                                  Jonathan

                                  --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, Mike R <mego73@...> wrote:

                                  > The spamming occurred in a short space of time and whomever it was didn't bother to mess with my password so I changed it quickly and there is no more rouge messages as far as I can see.
                                  >
                                  > I have had this account for over 10 years and my password was pretty basic (a number written out) after what I have read, Password hacking involves many shots in the dark for so called "basic" passwords. That's why many people recommend a password that uses a word and numbers. You learn something new everyday :)
                                  >
                                  > To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: craviola880@...
                                  > Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:19:21 +0000
                                  > Subject: [Box-Art] Re: WARNING FROM CO-MODERATOR-Thanks Ken & Mike!

                                  > Mike wrote:
                                  >

                                  > "I sincerely apologize for this. I don't know how and where, but my Hotmail got hit. I changed my password and am trying to figure out what happened."
                                  >

                                  > No strain Mike, and we appreciate very much you taking the time to "Officially" identify yourself! :-)
                                  >

                                  > Just got back into town, so this is the first I'm seeing of this.
                                  >

                                  > All the Yahoo! groups have been getting hit lately, and I knew that our time was coming soon. As this problem gets worse (Hopefully not), it's bound to cause all kinds of problems; overkill on email, bad blood, etc, so, just try to hang on tight as best you can.
                                  >

                                  > Please never click on any suspicious looking link you see here, even if it appears to be from one of our mainstay members.
                                  >

                                  > Any of these we get in the future, we will do our best to properly identify said member FIRST, before we just send them packing.
                                  >

                                  > Kudos to The Chief for getting on this so quickly...thanks Ken!
                                  >

                                  > As far as the spammers...well, time wounds all heals...
                                  >

                                  > Great trip to my hometown, and will share pics of the Hiller Air Museum (Hiller Flying Platform & Boeing SST cockpit included...oh boy!) shortly.
                                  >

                                  > Best, Christian

                                • Charles 1 Model
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                                    Jonathan
                                    I don't got no internet at home little lone a computer so I have to go the the local Library to get the alotted one hour on the internet that I get. It is very bad to be in my shoes.
                                    Charlie

                                    Using a library computer ... that isn't a form of 'Safe Hex'!  Its probably one of the 'dirtiest' ways of surfing :(

                                    Jonathan

                                    --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, "Charles 1 Model" <cwindes@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks for the info but the Library is running a very old dMicrosoft Browser and they do not want to up-grade it so they probably will not go for that either. Their system is so slow it is acutally like watching paint really peeling off of a wal, and the paint would be faster.
                                    >  Charlie

                                  • James Richard
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011
                                      No, the good stuff on the internet still far outweighs the bad, it's just that you have to be more careful then you used to be. For starters, do *not* go or sign up on any of the so-called 'social networking' places like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and all the others -- they are hot beds of hackers and spammers looking to grab at you. Look, we all lived our lives just fine *without* online social networking up until a few years ago and none of us really need it. As for the rest of the internet and e-mail, there's no question that some bad apples are making it more of a hassle for the rest of us, but with a good anti-virus program, firewall and spyware/malware defense program installed on your system you can be safe so long as you don't click on a bomb (like the one that was sent as a link to this list by someone claiming to be a member but who was not). Just be very careful about clicking on any links in any email you receive, even if you think you know who it is from (because there are lots of ways for bad sorts to impersonate others these days).

                                      And... if you do not have a good anti-virus and the other programs running on your computer, then you are a victim waiting to happen and, quite honestly, you deserve what you get because everyone should know by now that you *must* have an anti-virus program, a firewall and a spyware/malware defense program running on your system if you are going to go on the internet or do e-mail

                                      I can recommend the free version of Avira anti-virus program, the free version of Zone Alarm firewall, and the free version of MalwareBytes for spyware/malware protection.

                                      -- JR

                                      To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: craviola880@...
                                      Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:19:21 +0000

[...]

                                    • Christos G. Psarras
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011

                                        Just to say a couple of things myself, since others have said plenty already.  Most (not all) of what has been said is very correct, but there are a few statements which are greatly exxagerated, and technically not 100% correct; you can go anywhere you want, and you can click on anything you want, *as long as* you have the right tools, the knowledge to know how to surf, and the right way of handling the potential situations you will definitely encounter.  If you don't, obviously don't go there, but let's not make blanket over-generalizations :)

                                        I feel too lazy to go over the points and elaborate as it will take lots of typing, but if you want another piece of advice which nobody mentioned, dump IE.

                                        Christos

                                      • black_vises
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011
                                          Christos,

                                          Right on with the dumping of Windows Internet Explorer!

                                          I use Lynx, Firefox, and a little Google Chrome but it depends on the sites that I know I am visiting. Lynx for the text sites, Chrome for apps and AV, and Firefox for general surfing.

                                          I think the bottom line is that most people don't spend 40+ hours a week writing CGI/Java Apps, nor de-code or de-compile viruses. Most peple really don't realize how vunerable they are on the web... people have lost their lives, property and sanity due to the web.

                                          Just be careful! I could send anyone in this group a 'friendly' e-mail and within a month have your credit, marriage (if applicable), and reputation permanently damaged (employers and government now use the web for background checks).

                                          Becareful! The web is a VERY dangerous place for the ignorant.

                                          Your children can be lured to their deaths if they get into the wrong chat room and get in proximity of a child molester/killer. Its not milk and honey!

                                          And no I will never myspace, twitter, linkden, facebook, blog, et al....

                                          Jonathan

                                          P.s. How did they ever design and build the A-12/SR-71 and reach the Lunar surface without an Internet, Google, or not even a computer for that matter?

                                          --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, "Christos G. Psarras" <christos@...> wrote:

                                          > Just to say a couple of things myself, since others have said plenty already. Most (not all) of what has been said is very correct, but there are a few statements which are greatly exxagerated, and technically not 100% correct; you can go anywhere you want, and you can click on anything you want, *as long as* you have the right tools, the knowledge to know how to surf, and the right way of handling the potential situations you will definitely encounter. If you don't, obviously don't go there, but let's not make blanket over-generalizations :)
                                          >
                                          > I feel too lazy to go over the points and elaborate as it will take lots of typing, but if you want another piece of advice which nobody mentioned, dump IE.
                                          >
                                          > Christos

                                        • James Richard
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011
                                            Christos,

                                            Absolutely. Friends don't let Friends drive IE. Firefox is so much better in every way.

                                            -- JR

                                            Christos G. Psarras wrote:

                                            Just to say a couple of things myself, since others have said plenty already.  Most (not all) of what has been said is very correct, but there are a few statements which are greatly exxagerated, and technically not 100% correct; you can go anywhere you want, and you can click on anything you want, *as long as* you have the right tools, the knowledge to know how to surf, and the right way of handling the potential situations you will definitely encounter.  If you don't, obviously don't go there, but let's not make blanket over-generalizations :)

                                            I feel too lazy to go over the points and elaborate as it will take lots of typing, but if you want another piece of advice which nobody mentioned, dump IE.

                                            Christos

                                          • doug deaton
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011
                                              Hi All!
                                              From one of your newest members, and one in the business of digital technology...
                                              The suggestion to dump IE, is, like the man said, PRICELESS!  I did that this morning, and FIREFOX is like HIGH SPEED RAIL compared to a one-horse covered "wagon-like" IE.

                                              Thanks for the hint!  We can all learn something every day...
                                              Doug in Michigan