Re: An Interesting Couple of Kits

  • john_braungart
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
      --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, cwindes@... wrote:

      > OK I kept looking at these two kits I bought at a yard sale a few years back, guess I will throw out the info on the boxes and let you guys chew on the resulting discussion, Here Goes.
      > First kit
      > Miniature Masterpieces MM
      > "The Marquis de Lafyatte Carriage" Complete with General, Lady, Driver, and Horses
      > Kit No. K-502:98
      > Los Angles 34, California

      That's a real old timer! I made the kit a couple of years back from the Life-Like repop from the 1960s(?). Your kit is from the early 1950s and except for a lack of tack for the horses, a nice kit. I'm not sure of its current value, but you could check ePay for that.

      > I have not opened the Carriage box in a long time so I do not know the exact condition of the insides but I believe it is complete and in the same condition as tghe Hind.
      > Any discussion of the kits in question, just thought I would throw them out there and see if anybody wanted to talk about them.
      > C.A.W.

      Just out of cutiosity, what did you pay for then, if you remember? Garage sale prices are usually a bargain at best and sometimes a legal theft. I've scored some of my old favorites at those sales, sometimes gotten burned. Once I almost bought a Wankel Engine kit (mostly I wanted to see how that engine worked) but found a Volkswagen dune-buggy kit in the box instead. A co-worker who loved Volkswagens took it off my hands for what I paid for it, but that was just good luke that he wanted it.
    • cwindes@mindless.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
        I do not believe I paid over a dollar apiece for them. Just strange little kits I don't think I will ever build them just too Dam* small for me but I am a very bad collector. I buy anything I can get at a Garage sale. about twenty years ago I bought about twelve old AURORA and Revell kits, some had damage to boxes and some had parts midding but they were not cheap, did get a pretty good Yak-25 Flashlight and a AURORA Traker kit in pretty good shape, but like I said they were not cheap back then.
        C.A.W.

      • jaime hudson
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
          C.A.W.,

          How about some images of these kits, the Box Art, etc.?

          They sound, (as Spock says...) "Fascinating!"
          - Jaime H.

          OK I kept looking at these two kits I bought at a yard sale a few years back, guess I will throw out the info on the boxes and let you guys chew on the resulting discussion, Here Goes.
          First kit
          Miniature Masterpieces MM
          "The Marquis de Lafyatte Carriage" Complete with General, Lady, Driver, and Horses
          Kit No. K-502:98
          Los Angles 34, California

          Second Kit
          Shipyard
          Golden Hind G.H.-309S
          Copyright 1952 GOWLAND and GOWLAND
          Gowland Creations
          Kellogg Avenue
          Santa Barbara. California

          The Marquis box is in excellent condition except for a small spot on the top, The Golden Hind box is in prestine shape for the allleged age, the instructions are inside along with the kit in a brittle original bag with the Transfers and the clear rigging also.
          I have not opened the Carriage box in a long time so I do not know the exact condition of the insides but I believe it is complete and in the same condition as tghe Hind.
          Any discussion of hte kits in qusetion, just thought I would throw them out there and see if anybody wanted to talk about them.
          C.A.W.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Box-Art-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Box-Art-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Ken Casseres-Palmer
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
            We always hope that group members will send 600dpi scans of their rare kits to Christian Bryan so he can work on them and post them in the Gallery.  If you aren't sure about scanning proceedures, please drop a note to Chris either offline or here.

            Ken P.