Free Download Alert 04OCT10

  • JeanA
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010

        From: JeanA <jfa23@...>
        To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Tue, October 5, 2010 9:57:53 PM
        Subject: [Box-Art] Free Download Alert 04OCT10

            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Box-Art-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Box-Art-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Gene Gatti
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
          Hi Jean,
          That box top has a 3D look to it... was Chris wearing those funky
          glasses when he did this restoration? :-)
          Thanks,
          Gene

          On 10/5/2010 10:57 PM, JeanA wrote:

          > Hello Boxsters,
          > The Free download is up and ready.
          > No time for banter ... just go get them @
          > http://theboxartden.com/free_downloads
          >
          > Jean
          >
          > __
        • jaime hudson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
            These pics got me drooling!
            What year is the Renwal Howitzer box art? Very wunderful!!! Kicks a** on today's stuff.
            Quality art like that got is what made me take an hour to pick out just one kit (of many),
            back in the days that my parents would take the family to the toy/hobby store far away.

            The Blue Angels A-4 Skyhawks were always my fave jet that they ever flew.
            I saw the F-11F Tigers one time, then the F-4's, A-4's and last the F-18's, all at El Toro MCAS.
            (QUIZ: Can anyone name the TWO sci-fi films that mention/show El Toro Marine Base?)

            And the 'Ark' kit review was great two! Never knew George Pal wanted to do a sequel
            to 'When Worlds Collide'. I never knew there was a book sequel before either... Neat!
            Cheers and THANKS JEAN!!!
            -- James

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
              I'm thinking Top Gun and Independence Day.

              Jean

              > (QUIZ: Can anyone name the TWO sci-fi films that mention/show El Toro Marine Base?)
            • Ed Wesly
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                No banter from the chief?  Plenty from me!

                Holy cow! One of my all-time favorite kits!  The Renwal Big Shot!  I'm a fan of Adams, Revell and Renwal armor, but this one is with its jumbo 1/32 scale and all those doors that open, the hood over the engine, the blade or whatever it's called at the back of the tank, was just so incredibly cool when I built it the first time, like when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, and then found another one when I was in high school.  And I was somewhat crushed because a while ago Chris (I believe) was saying Revell was going to reissue the kit with his restored artwork, but then it sounds like that fell through.  Maybe someday...

                Has anyone ever seen one of these in real life?  The 1:1 scale I mean, not the model.  Or even is a veteran of one?

                And Jean's contribution, another Holy Cow!  You really have a super collection of slides! And of course, the subject, one of the greatest color schemes on an aircraft!  What era are these from?

                Pictures like this bring out kit-building reminisces.  I remember building a set of Blue Angels with my friends and we "flew" the heck out of them.  They were molded in blue plastic and very glossy, anyone know who would have made them, time frame late '50's, like the Big Shot?

                And the piece de resistance, the Worlds Collide kit!  That web page is another labor of love!  Plus it convinces me to buy that kit!

                My hat is off to the team that keeps this group one of the high points, in fact, probably the high point of my working week, as it has nothing to do with students, teaching, grad school, art, photography, holography, etc.!

              • CaptainOD@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                    Jean;

                     "Top Gun" really isn't sci-fi, although the idea that anyone in their right mind would let Tom Cruise anywhere near a Tomcat comes close.

                     You are, however, half right. "Independence Day" shows El Toro (not long before it was closed).

                     To my knowledge, the first SF film to mention the base (and I believe the only other one to do so) was George Pal's 1953 version of "The War of the Worlds", written by Barre' Lyndon and directed by Byron Haskin. Marines from El Toro are mentioned by the radio newscaster as being the first troops arriving to surround the crater where the first cylinder comes down, basically in Dr. Clayton Forrester's (Gene Barry's) lap.

                                                                                                                                          Sincerely,

                                                                                                                                          Carl B.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                      Ed;

                       The big honkin' "plow blade" at the rear is the recoil spade. The 8 inch needed it, too, because it had about twice the "trunnion pull", or recoil impulse transmitted to the vehicle after the recoil system took its share, of the 155mm howitzer on the same chassis. There was also a 105mm version, but it was quickly decided that putting a 105 on that much chassis was (as Ian Hogg said of an early postwar British SP 25 pounder on a freakin' Centurion MBT chassis) sort of like putting a .22 rifle on top of a city bus.

                       I still have one of these monsters (the Revell History Makers reissue). The main thing about it is that the running gear is OK, except that instead of proper drive sprockets, they give you two more "idler wheel" looking things with the shape of the sprocket moulded into the outer side of each one. (I replaced mine with drive sprockets from a trashed Monogram M-48; worked just fine.) Also, the muzzle brake shown was never used operationally; it wasn't very efficient, and the mass of the vehicle plus the recoil system and spade handled the "kick" of the 8 inch just fine without it. All the photos I've ever seen of operational 8-inch SPs show a "plain" barrel, with a thread protector screwed onto the muzzle, on the same principle as the arrangement on the WW II M4A3 76 (W) Sherman's gun.

                       Other than that, the kit's OK. Well, except that the .50 cal on the ring mount up top sucks, and as usual with Renwal, the crew figures all look like they were sculpted by Edvard Munch.

                                                                                                                                         Sincerely,

                                                                                                                                         Carl B.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 8, 2010
                        Carl takes the prize!
                        You nailed it, with the 2 sci-fi films that have El Toro Base in them!
                        A toast to you (of your fave beer) in your honor!
                        Your post (v) has me LMAO!

                        ".... "Top Gun" really isn't sci-fi, although the idea that anyone in their right mind would let Tom Cruise anywhere near a Tomcat comes close."

                        Great posts from all the gang!
                        Have a super-duper weekend, ya'll... James

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 8, 2010
                          James;

                           Thanks! (I stick to Mountain Dew, actually. ;-))

                           Have a great weekend!

                                                                                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                                                                            Carl B.