Free Download Alert 03MAY10

  • JeanA
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2010
      Hello Boxsters,
      It is Monday and time for a new Free Download.
      This week the Chairman presents us with a classic boxart from great model maker Hawk. The Free Download is the white box art for the chrome plated MiG-15 Korean War jet fighter.
      I remember the first Hawk plated kit I built, the P-47D Thunderbolt. It took me a while to develop the techniques needed to deal with the plated parts. The plating had to be removed from surfaces that are to be glued together. This made for a very noticable seam. I got to the point where the seams on my models was almost invisible.
      From my archives I scanned in some slides of the recently retired Grumman F-14 Tomcat. The star of screen, TV, and Southwest Asia military actions and all around great aircraft.
      These photos were taken at Andrews AFB, MD (ADW) and Patuxent River NAS, MD (NHK).
      As usual all the images are 1280 pixels for the PC.
      Get them at http://theboxartden.com/free_downloads

      Jean
    • Brooks Rowlett
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        Hi - the bottom right pic is only the thumbnail; no link.
      • C. Bibbee
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2010
          Jean;

           I was always amused by the fact that the box art called for me to cover up half that "beautiful" (not!) plating with Gloss Red paint. In fact, when I built any plated Hawk kit its first stop was a bath in Clorox or, later, a good soaking down with oven cleaner in a large Ziploc bag (fumes) to strip the plating off. The translucent white plastic underneath always looked a bit strange to me, but assembly including filling and sanding seams was 100% easier.

           It always surprised me that since Hawk had the MiG-15bis in their lineup, they never did a kit of its adversary, the F-86 Sabre. At that time, the only Sabre in 1/48 was the old Lindberg "A" model, which frankly wasn't even as good as the average Hawk offering.

           Thanks!

                                                                                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                                                                            Carl B.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2010
            OOPS!
            Now let that be a lesson to all you programmers out there.
            Never work with html when hungover.
            Sorry Brooks ... it is fixed.

            Jean

            --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Rowlett <brooks.rowlett@...> wrote:

            > Hi - the bottom right pic is only the thumbnail; no link.

          • Ed Wesly
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2010
              Didn't somebody make a chrome-plated F-104 Starfighter?  It became my favorite jet fighter when I read that its wings tapered to razor blade sharpness.._,___

            • JeanA
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2010
                That was also Hawk.

                Jean