AMAZING 1930's RUSSIAN PLANE Hoax

  • peter murrie
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Boxophiles

      A few days ago I got a forwarded email, three times actually from three different people, basically about a "fantastic Russian bomber" and what idiots the Russians were for "building" it.

      None of the senders are "aircraft-aware" and only one of them guessed that something was not right.  Some of you will probably also get the email or have it already so for those of you that are not steeped in the mysteries of obscure Russian designers and their aircraft here is the 'truth' , only slightly less fantastic then the hoax!

      My son guessed it was a fake, this was my reply to him.  The spam filter at his work junks anything with attachments so there are only links.

      "No it's not real just a nice bit of CGI art which has later been put about on the net with a story as if it was real.  When I saw it on a site about a year ago it didn't have the gun turrets.  There is a "what-if?" site for aircraft fantasies and artwork featuring fictional markings on real aircraft (eg British planes in USAF Vietnam markings etc) and this probably comes from there.  It's originally a piece by a computer artist showing off his talent, which someone else has got hold of and turned it into a hoax.

      There was a real aircraft like this fantasy but it was much smaller, although just as unconventional, the Kalinin K-7.

      Here is a link to the real aircraft - http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/k-7.html

      More info here (clunky translation from Russian) - http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/k7giant.html

      Here is a CGI 'model' work-in-progress using Google's SketchUp 3D graphics program -

      Kalinin was arrested on trumped up espionage and sabotage charges and shot in1938.  During the 30s Stalin slaughtered ("purged") about a quarter (?) of Russia's officers as well as hundreds of thousands of others.  It was one of the reasons the Russians took so long to win the war against the Nazis."

      The real K-7

      In reply to one of the senders of the hoax a friend found this site with more CGI images - http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=2231 - but don't bother scrolling down to the comments, nutters one and all!

      This one really gives the game away, I love it!  The guy who did these was really having a good time!!

      Note, the 'Kalinin' is now carrying Skybolts . . die Deutsche schwein ist tot!)

      Do svidaniya,

      Pete M

    • mike wegener
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        Die deutsche schwein is tot? I don't think so.. I am sure they had forcefields to go with their advanced flying saucer technology.....
        Auf Wiedersehen
        Mike

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2010
          I guess I am a bit slow in replying, but I don't get a chance to look or stalk here that often.  But the whole story of this plane is what makes me go crazy over this site, where else would one find the details of such a bizarre machine?

          There is a sketch and maybe a model of a huge plane that would have had machine shops to keep the engines running by the great American designer, Norma Bel Geddes, but leave it to the Russians to actually build a thing like that!

          Plus the addendum to the download of last , that link to the Dryden high res images of pictures I have seen elsewhere but now can get the downloads that can print a glossy 8 by 10 or bigger makes this site a real gem!

          Keep up the good work!

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
            Hear is the plane I was talking about, Airliner Number 4.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
            Airliner No.4?  Hey, I make a model kit of that!  (Shameless Plug)

            http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/BelGeddesAirliner4CataloguePage.htm

            - Allen B. Ury
              Fantastic Plastic Models

            [Attachment(s) from Ed Wesly included below]

            Message 6 of 6 , Feb 18, 2010
              If I only had a couple of hundred dollars of disposable income...