Re: [Box-Art] Funky bus

  • C. Bibbee
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      Christos;

       This is just a guess, but I suspect it's a prototype bus base on either the designs of Norman bel Geddes or R. Buckminster Fuller. In the 1930s, both men advocated a "teardrop"  design for motor vehicles with a rear-mounted engine, to reduce air resistance and improve both performance and gas milage. Fuller actually built one car on his principles, called the "Dymaxion Car"- it was a three -wheeler that was driven by the two front wheels and steered by the center-mounted rear wheel acting like a boat rudder. This bus, while four-wheeled, has several designe elements similar to that car. Bel Geddes vehicle designs were never acted upon AFAIK, but his 1932 book "Horizons" includes a double-decker bus design very much like this single-deck item.

                                                                                                       Sincerely,
                                                                                                       Carl B.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
        Thanks for that link Christian, I wasn't aware of that good-looking ferry!

        Christos

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
          Apparently that bus (and the city it was pictured in) is in Brazil after all, Sao Luis. It's an old city (right below the Equator) hence the old architecture and dark-skinned people that threw us off (we were in the general lattitude, albeit half a world away!)

          Here's the direct link to the Museum page on it (page 2)

          It was apparently built on a Dodge chassis in the 1940s by a fan of Zeppelins (go figure :)  Maybe a stretched 2x2 old WWII Doge, or the 2x4 Dodge with one bogie removed -- or was it GMC?  You know, the archetypal American WWII truck/fuel truck (I'm not into vehicles as you noticed :)

          Beyond that I don't have a clue.  A Brazilian friend of mine is doing research on it, and I'll post more on it as I learned it myself.

          I find it very intriguing as a bus/vehicle, and it should be very easy to scratch in either 1:72 or 1:144 estimating the dimensions using people as size reference, or the wheelbase if it is based on a known chassis.  At the thickest part of the body, it could be close to a DC-3 fuselage size, and the MC DC-3s are cheap, and in 1:72 there are plenty of WWII trucks out there to provide the chassis.

          Christos

        • Gianni Carrara
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
            Congratulations, you solved the enigma! I confess that I lost a lot of time searching in the wrong continent.

            Gianni