RE: [Box-Art] Ebay insanity continues

  • Harold Mcpherson
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
      I'd sell both of mine for that and pay the postage.  It will probably be released again any minute now.
      Wow.

      Harold

      To: Box-Art@yahoogroups.com
      From: quadgop2000@...
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:13:21 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Box-Art] Ebay insanity continues

      Rick;

       Ok, it looks like I'll have to look harder for the port gun blister off my half-built one (that overcame its cement anchor, "sprang" off, and disappeared under-or into- my sofa), instead of just buying another one to snitch the bit from and complete as an R4Y-2 Liberator transport.

       Unless Revell/Germany wises up and reissues the critter.

                                                                                                           Sincerely,
                                                                                                           Carl B.

      RNelson898@aol. com wrote:

      Guess I'll raise my price on this one.

      Rick

    • Bobby
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
        --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, RNelson898@... wrote:

        > _MATCHBOX 1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item 230216243948 end time
        Jan-30-08
        > 17_
        > (http://cgi.ebay.com/MATCHBOX-1-72-PB4Y-2-
        PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDVW
        QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

        > Guess I'll raise my price on this one.
        >
        > Rick
        >

        > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
        shape.

        That is absolutly rediculous price for that kit. The kit is full
        of inaccuracies, and really can't be built into anything more than a
        fair representation of the actual aircraft looked at from six feet
        away.

        I still have two or three of them sitting packed away in the
        attic....maybe I should do some searching over the weekend.
      • james galloway
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008

          Hers something that I hope some of our members in England can answer. I just picked up Vol. 14 #1 of this magazine, the one with the Sopwith 1 ½ strutter on the cover.  There is an Airfix ad on page 7 which shows the box art for a Falklands War 25th. The aircraft on the cover show among others (total of 5 kits) a Pucara and what looks like the AV-8A Harrier. Does airfix have a Pucara? And I was under the impression that only the Sea Harrier was used in that conflict.  Jim galloway

        • Gene Gatti
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
            Hi Jim,
            I can't answer all your questions but I've read that the Pucara
            included in that set is the Special Hobby kit. I think these were mainly
            used for targets during the Falklands War :-)
            See ya,
            Gene

          • RNelson898@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
              In a message dated 2/1/2008 2:04:00 P.M. Central Standard Time, jgallo31@... writes:
              There is an Airfix ad on page 7 which shows the box art for a Falklands War 25th. The aircraft on the cover show among others (total of 5 kits) a Pucara and what looks like the AV-8A Harrier. Does airfix have a Pucara?
              I recently got a list of Airfix kits for pre-order, and IIRC there was a 1/72 Pucara as well as a 1/24 Mosquito.  Some Dr. Who and Wallace and Grommitt kits were new as well.

              Rick

            • RNelson898@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:49:05 P.M. Central Standard Time, bjk869@... writes:
                MATCHBOX  1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item 230216243948 end time
                Jan-30-08
                > 17_
                > (http://cgi.ebay.com/MATCHBOX-1-72-PB4Y-2-
                PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDVW
                QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
                I just found out the same buyer paid over $250 for another one, and 127 for a 3rd.  Must be trying to corner the market.

                Rick

              • Christian Bryan
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                  This won't happen, but I'd sure like to see a conversion fuelage for
                  the Model 39 "Liberator Liner.

                  Would look cool, and a great conversation piece as American
                  Airlines "City of Salinas".

                  Open the side cargo door, etc.

                  You could even use the Privateer vertical fin and landing gear.

                  All you'd really need is a "Tube" for the fuse.

                  And maybe Christos or somebody to make the decals? :-)

                  Chris

                  i'ducalfin; all you'd real8--- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com,
                  RNelson898@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:49:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                  > bjk869@... writes:
                  >
                  > MATCHBOX 1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item 230216243948 end time
                  > Jan-30-08
                  > > 17_
                  > > (http://cgi.ebay.com/MATCHBOX-1-72-PB4Y-2-

                  PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDV
                  > QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
                  >

                  > I just found out the same buyer paid over $250 for another one, and
                  127 for
                  > a 3rd. Must be trying to corner the market.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >

                  > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                  Music.
                  > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                  NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                  > 48)

                • Ken Palmer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                    In THAT case, I'll keep mine until it hits $1,000!
                    Still seems unnecessarily high (for what I thought was
                    an average kit) even if he has an obsession for
                    Privateers!

                    KCP

                    --- RNelson898@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:49:05 P.M. Central
                    > Standard Time,
                    > bjk869@... writes:
                    >
                    > MATCHBOX 1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item
                    > 230216243948 end time
                    > Jan-30-08
                    > > 17_
                    > > (http://cgi.ebay.com/MATCHBOX-1-72-PB4Y-2-

                    PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDVW
                    > QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
                    >

                    > I just found out the same buyer paid over $250 for
                    > another one, and 127 for
                    > a 3rd. Must be trying to corner the market.
                    >
                    > Rick
                    >

                    > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all
                    > time on AOL Music.

                    > 48)

                  • Bobby
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                      --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, RNelson898@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:49:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                      > bjk869@... writes:
                      >
                      > MATCHBOX 1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item 230216243948 end time
                      > Jan-30-08
                      > > 17_
                      > > (http://cgi.ebay.com/MATCHBOX-1-72-PB4Y-2-

                      PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDV
                      > QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
                      >

                      > I just found out the same buyer paid over $250 for another one, and
                      127 for
                      > a 3rd. Must be trying to corner the market.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >

                      > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                      Music.
                      > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                      NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                      > 48)

                      I'll gladly sell them my pair for a cool $200 even...I'll even
                      pick up the shipping!!! In my opinion, a totally worthless
                      inaccurate kit, hence the reason why mine are still sitting unbuilt.

                      The old vac-u-form conversion kit (I forgot who made it, but was
                      in the early 1970's for use with the Revell kit) was more accurate.
                    • Ken Palmer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Damn! I got mine to avoid building a vacuform kit! My
                        inventory list shows a "Sutcliffe Product. Airfix
                        Liberator to Consolidated Vultee PB4Y-2 Privateer" --
                        so was there another one for a Revell kit? Guess I'll
                        keep it until I get practice with vacuforms or I
                        wither away....

                        KCP

                        --- Bobby <bjk869@...> wrote:

                        > --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, RNelson898@...
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:49:05 P.M. Central
                        > Standard Time,
                        > > bjk869@... writes:
                        > >
                        > > MATCHBOX 1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item
                        > 230216243948 end time
                        > > Jan-30-08
                        > > > 17_
                        > > > (http://cgi.ebay.com/MATCHBOX-1-72-PB4Y-2-

                        PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDV
                        > > QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
                        > >

                        > > I just found out the same buyer paid over $250 for
                        > another one, and
                        > 127 for
                        > > a 3rd. Must be trying to corner the market.
                        > >
                        > > Rick
                        > >

                        > > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of
                        > all time on AOL
                        > Music.

                        (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                        > NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                        > > 48)
                        > >

                        > I'll gladly sell them my pair for a cool $200
                        > even...I'll even
                        > pick up the shipping!!! In my opinion, a totally
                        > worthless
                        > inaccurate kit, hence the reason why mine are still
                        > sitting unbuilt.
                        >
                        > The old vac-u-form conversion kit (I forgot who
                        > made it, but was
                        > in the early 1970's for use with the Revell kit) was
                        > more accurate.

                      • Bobby
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                          --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, Ken Palmer <kendall_c_p2@...> wrote:

                          > Damn! I got mine to avoid building a vacuform kit! My
                          > inventory list shows a "Sutcliffe Product. Airfix
                          > Liberator to Consolidated Vultee PB4Y-2 Privateer" --
                          > so was there another one for a Revell kit? Guess I'll
                          > keep it until I get practice with vacuforms or I
                          > wither away....
                          >
                          > KCP
                          >
                          > --- Bobby <bjk869@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, RNelson898@
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:49:05 P.M. Central
                          > > Standard Time,
                          > > > bjk869@ writes:
                          > > >
                          > > > MATCHBOX 1/72 PB4Y-2 PRIVATEER - eBay (item
                          > > 230216243948 end time
                          > > > Jan-30-08

                          PRIVATEER_W0QQitemZ230216243948QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2587QQssPageNameZWDV
                          > > > QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
                          > > >

                          > > > I just found out the same buyer paid over $250 for
                          > > another one, and
                          > > 127 for
                          > > > a 3rd. Must be trying to corner the market.
                          > > >
                          > > > Rick
                          > > >

                          > > > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of
                          > > all time on AOL
                          > > Music.
                          > > >

                          > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                          > > NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                          > > > 48)
                          > > >

                          > > I'll gladly sell them my pair for a cool $200
                          > > even...I'll even
                          > > pick up the shipping!!! In my opinion, a totally
                          > > worthless
                          > > inaccurate kit, hence the reason why mine are still
                          > > sitting unbuilt.
                          > >
                          > > The old vac-u-form conversion kit (I forgot who
                          > > made it, but was
                          > > in the early 1970's for use with the Revell kit) was
                          > > more accurate.

                          The Sutcliff vac-u-form conversion was based on the Airfix kit
                          fuselage and wings with the proper length fuselage(which is the major
                          problem with the Matchbox kit....the fuselage is too short!!), and
                          truthfully wasn't too bad of a starting point.

                          The conversion I was referring to was made by a small time
                          company and I only have it on my inventory list as "vac-u-form", no
                          company name!! It included fuselage extensions, and replacement
                          engine nacelles and such other parts as necessary for the
                          conversion. The detail was quite good and even the panel lines a
                          rivits matched the Revell kit nearly perfectly. I wish I could
                          remember the company name??!!
                        • C. Bibbee
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
                            James;

                             The FMA IA-58 Pucara'  was a twin turboprop counterinsurgency (COIN) aircraft roughly equivalent to the North American OV-10A Bronco. During the 1982 Falklands War, the Fuerza Aerea Argentina (Argentine Air Force, aka "The Other FAA" to proponents of the Fleet Air Arm or employees of the Federal Aviation Administration), deployed a flight of 10 Pucara's to the Falklands as part of the defenses they put in on East Falkland and South Georgia Islands. Of the 10,  4 were "war losses", two destroyed on the ground by British troops (one taken out by a LAW shoulder-fired anti-tank rocket, another thoroughly shredded by 7.62mm machine-gun fire), another was destroyed by an airstrike by RAF Harriers on East Falkland, and at least one was shot down by a Harrier while attempting a takeoff from South Georgia to "intercept" a Harrier strike.  As for the others;

                             "A total of six Pucara's captured in the Falklands Islands was transported back by ship to the UK, albeit one in an unflyable condition. One aircraft, ex-FAA serial A-515, was registered ZD485 and evaluated by the A&AEE at Boscombe Down. It now rests in the Aerospace Museum at RAF Cosford. The others ended up at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton (A-522/8768M), Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop (A-528/8769M and A-533/ZD486), the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (A-549/ZD487) and with a private owner in the Channel Islands (A-517/G-BLRP)."

                             -  "FMA IA-58 Pucara'; Pampas Warrior", by David Donald. World Air Power Journal, Vol. 6, Summer 1991. P.136-146. (quote from p. 141.)

                             I don't know if Airfix has a 1/72 scale Pucara', but if they do, I want one!

                             (I've already got about every Bronco kit there is.)

                                                                                                                                           Sincerely,
                                                                                                                                           Carl B.

                            james galloway <jgallo31@...> wrote:
                            Hers something that I hope some of our members in England can answer. I just picked up Vol. 14 #1 of this magazine, the one with the Sopwith 1 ½ strutter on the cover.  There is an Airfix ad on page 7 which shows the box art for a Falklands War 25th. The aircraft on the cover show among others (total of 5 kits) a Pucara and what looks like the AV-8A Harrier. Does airfix have a Pucara? And I was under the impression that only the Sea Harrier was used in that conflict.  Jim galloway

                          • Dionys Seb Eusebio
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 2, 2008
                              Jim, in short:
                              Airfix does not have a Pucara and
                              during the Falklands conflict only Sea Harriers were in action "down there".
                              Seb

                              james galloway wrote:

                              / ... /  Does airfix have a Pucara? And I was under the impression that only the Sea Harrier was used in that conflict.  Jim galloway/ ... /

                            • John McKenna
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 2, 2008
                                Both RAF and RN Harriers were used.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 18, 2008
                                • Christian Bryan
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 18, 2008
                                    Wow; $75 for a '70's/'80's white box??? :-/

                                    Is there something particular special about this certain kit?? Any
                                    more T-28's out there that are more state of the art by today's
                                    standards as a builder kit??

                                    Who would know, would be our member Tom P.; he rarely posts, but has
                                    supplied us with those MEGA RARE Lindberg three plane gift sets, and
                                    even has a full scale T-28 that he flies to airshows.

                                    That's alot for a white box though, to be sure!

                                    Chris

                                    gat'sp OP.ra;lyingn--- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, RNelson898@...
                                    wrote:

                                    > Guys, what am I missing here?
                                    >
                                    > Rick
                                    >
                                    > _http://cgi.ebay.com/Monogram-TROJAN-T-28B-1-48-Model-AirPlane-Kit-
                                    1975_W0QQit

                                    emZ150270009818QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
                                    ewItem_
                                    > (http://cgi.ebay.com/Monogram-TROJAN-T-28B-1-48-Model-AirPlane-Kit-
                                    1975_W0QQit

                                    emZ150270009818QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
                                    ewItem)

                                    > **************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up
                                    for
                                    > FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

                                  • C. Bibbee
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 18, 2008
                                      Christian;

                                       AFAIK, the old Monogram is the only actual Trojan in any scale. The 1/72 Heller is actually the Sud-Ouest license built "Fennec", which is slightly different, has a different canopy unlike the early T-28 canopy on the Monogram kit, and needs some fairly involved conversion work to turn it into a presentable USAF/USN version. (As a Fennec, OTOH, it's great.)

                                       Hmm. I have one of the Monograms, and I could use the money for a project I have in mind.

                                       Decisions, decisions.....

                                                                                                                                              Sincerely,
                                                                                                                                              Carl B.

                                      wrote:

                                      > Guys, what am I missing here?
                                      >
                                      > Rick
                                      >
                                      > _http://cgi.ebay. com/Monogram- TROJAN-T- 28B-1-48- Model-AirPlane- Kit-
                                      1975_W0QQit

                                      emZ150270009818QQih Z005QQcategoryZ5 0297QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmd ZVi
                                      ewItem_
                                      > (http://cgi.ebay. com/Monogram- TROJAN-T- 28B-1-48- Model-AirPlane- Kit-
                                      1975_W0QQit

                                      emZ150270009818QQih Z005QQcategoryZ5 0297QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmd ZVi
                                      ewItem)

                                      > ************ **Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up
                                      for
                                      > FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
                                      > (http://www.fanhouse .com/fantasyaffa ir?ncid=aolspr00 050000000020)

                                    • John P. Braungart
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 19, 2008
                                        --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, RNelson898@... wrote:

                                        > Guys, what am I missing here?
                                        > Rick

                                        "A fool and his money are soon parted?"

                                        I noticed that most on th efolks involved in this were newbies, but the
                                        guy who won it should have known better.