Re: '58 Edsel Ad!

  • John P. Braungart
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, Cary A States <cary4@...> wrote:

      > re: '58 Edsel Ad!
      > Posted by: "DANNY ROBERTSON" dkr1949flyer@... dkr1949flyer
      > Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:43 am (PST)
      > My brother-in-law had a Corvair Spyder with the supercharged engine
      > way back when. Ran ok, but was fun to drive.

      Point 1) I thought (but could be wrong) that Edsel's big failing was
      to have too many heretofore experimental doodads included in the
      design (typewrite transmission was one such) that had included in the
      designs a LOT of bugs that were never successfully worked out.
      Basically it was too advanced for its day and didn't have
      enough "tried and true" features.
      Point 2) The Corvair was a nice car (GM's answer to the Volkswagen in
      design), but very difficult to work on (try changing the fan belt).
      Here's a question for you as well, back in the day, I ran across a
      Corvair "pickup" truck in a farmer's field. 'Twas in junk condition,
      so I wouldn't have considered trying to rescue it, even if I had the
      money. When I mentioned it to motorheads at work, I was informed that
      Corvair never MADE a pickup (done up in the style of an El Camino,
      not an F-100). Anybody familiar with this or was it really a custom
      job rotting in that field?
    • C. Bibbee
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
        John;

        I'm not aware of any sort of "Corvair El Camino". Maybe it was a modded Corvair Wagon?

        Any chance of a photo of the wreck, so to speak?

                                                                                                               Sincerely,
                                                                                                               Carl B.

        "John P. Braungart" <braungart@...> wrote:
        --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups .com, Cary A States <cary4@...> wrote:

        > re: '58 Edsel Ad!
        > Posted by: "DANNY ROBERTSON" dkr1949flyer@ ... dkr1949flyer
        > Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:43 am (PST)
        > My brother-in-law had a Corvair Spyder with the supercharged engine
        > way back when. Ran ok, but was fun to drive.

        Point 1) I thought (but could be wrong) that Edsel's big failing was
        to have too many heretofore experimental doodads included in the
        design (typewrite transmission was one such) that had included in the
        designs a LOT of bugs that were never successfully worked out.
        Basically it was too advanced for its day and didn't have
        enough "tried and true" features.
        Point 2) The Corvair was a nice car (GM's answer to the Volkswagen in
        design), but very difficult to work on (try changing the fan belt).
        Here's a question for you as well, back in the day, I ran across a
        Corvair "pickup" truck in a farmer's field. 'Twas in junk condition,
        so I wouldn't have considered trying to rescue it, even if I had the
        money. When I mentioned it to motorheads at work, I was informed that
        Corvair never MADE a pickup (done up in the style of an El Camino,
        not an F-100). Anybody familiar with this or was it really a custom
        job rotting in that field?

      • DANNY ROBERTSON
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
          Go to Ebay motors and type in Corvair rampside pickup. Bidding has just ended so be quick. There's a good photo or a "Corvair Rampside Pickup".

          "John P. Braungart" <braungart@...> wrote:
          --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups .com, Cary A States <cary4@...> wrote:

          > re: '58 Edsel Ad!
          > Posted by: "DANNY ROBERTSON" dkr1949flyer@ ... dkr1949flyer
          > Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:43 am (PST)
          > My brother-in-law had a Corvair Spyder with the supercharged engine
          > way back when. Ran ok, but was fun to drive.

          Point 1) I thought (but could be wrong) that Edsel's big failing was
          to have too many heretofore experimental doodads included in the
          design (typewrite transmission was one such) that had included in the
          designs a LOT of bugs that were never successfully worked out.
          Basically it was too advanced for its day and didn't have
          enough "tried and true" features.
          Point 2) The Corvair was a nice car (GM's answer to the Volkswagen in
          design), but very difficult to work on (try changing the fan belt).
          Here's a question for you as well, back in the day, I ran across a
          Corvair "pickup" truck in a farmer's field. 'Twas in junk condition,
          so I wouldn't have considered trying to rescue it, even if I had the
          money. When I mentioned it to motorheads at work, I was informed that
          Corvair never MADE a pickup (done up in the style of an El Camino,
          not an F-100). Anybody familiar with this or was it really a custom
          job rotting in that field?

          DANNY K. ROBERTSON

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • John P. Braungart
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
            --- In Box-Art@yahoogroups.com, DANNY ROBERTSON <dkr1949flyer@...>
            wrote:

            > Go to Ebay motors and type in Corvair rampside pickup. Bidding has
            > just ended so be quick. There's a good photo or a "Corvair Rampside
            > Pickup".

            Nope, that's NOT what I'm talking about. As was suggested, it was most
            likely cut down from a Corvair Wagon. The back of the "cab" did
            resemble the back (upper half) of the wagon. It was nicely done and NO,
            I wasn't able to take a photo, dammit!