Re: [BoundaryPoint] Sokh, Vorukh, and others

  • Peter Smaardijk
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
      Thank you Brendan for the clarification.

      > >On this site: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sota/fergana.htm , there is talk of
      > >seven enclaves within
      > >Kyrgyzstan, 4 Uzbek ones (of which two are identified as Sokh and
      > >Shakhimardan), and 3 Tadzhik ones
      > >(one identified as Vorukh, and another one, not named, is probably the
      > >long, narrow one).
      > >
      > No, as in my previous post, there are 7 total, 6 in Kyrgizia (4 Uzbeki and 2
      > Tajiki) and 1 Tajiki in Uzbek. The article makes this clear too.

      You are quite right. I should have read it with more attention.

      > >Also, there should be Kyrgyz enclaves in Uzbekistan too, according to this
      > >news item (Kabar, Kyrgyz
      > >national news agency): http://www.kabar.gov.kg/english/opi/2001/2/26.html .
      > >Look for the item
      > >"Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan reached agreement on border delimitation
      > >issues". Anybody has names and
      > >locations for these?
      >
      > This is wrong. There are no Kyrgyz enclaves in Uzbekistan. If there are,
      > they are VERY SMALL as they do not appear on 1:200k and even 1:100k mapping
      > of the area.

      Wouldn't be the first example of a prime minister (in this case the Uzbek pm) who is misinformed.

      Anyway, I decided to have a look in my Soviet atlas (1987), not having very much hope to find a good
      map in there, but to my surprise I _did_ find those seven enclaves. So I made this little scan, to
      which I added the names. The ones I don't know the name of I just numbered T-1 and T-2 (the Tajik
      ones) and U-1 and U-2 (the Uzbek ones). By the way, the Shakhimardan enclave has a village in it
      called Iordan, and in Sokh enclave there is a village called Tul'.

      Have I found the correct ones, or are there still other ones?

      Peter S.
    • Brendan Whyte
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
        That's the boys!
        got 'em all.
        Soviet maps from late 50s show Sokh was still connected to the rest of
        Uzbekistan. It seems to have been the last to be created, at least of the
        big 3 which show up on most maps of the area. The others are often
        overlooked as they are so small, even if they did exist. For example, Soviet
        1:100k mapping doesn't show U2 even though 1:200k maps of a later date do
        show it, as do 1:500k maps of earlier date.

        Brendan