Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Gibraltar

  • Lowell G. McManus
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 10, 2004
      Mike wrote:

      > but you will have a hard time selling such fine distinctions in america
      > where no such problems exist

      While the contortions of the EU as to what and where their various rules do and
      do not apply are quite amusing to us Americans, we have our own idiosyncrasies
      that defy understanding elsewhere (and sometimes here).

      For instance: Guam is an organized but unincorporated territory, while Palmyra
      is an unorganized but incorporated Territory. Puerto Rico is a possession, but
      neither a territory nor a Territory. It is a Commonwealth, but so is Kentucky,
      which it is a state. Persons born in US possessions are US citizens, except
      those in American Samoa, who are US nationals, but not US citizens. Goods
      brought to the rest of the USA from the Virgin Islands are subject to customs
      duties, but not those from Puerto Rico. The CIA and State Department claim that
      the Republic of Palau is an independent and sovereign nation, but "in free
      association" with the USA. The address of the office of the President (chief of
      state and head of government) of that sovereign and independent nation is a post
      office box at the United States Post Office, Palau, PW 96940, USA. The US
      Postal Service says that "Republic of Palau" is "unacceptable" in the last two
      lines of addresses.

      Lowell G. McManus
      Leesville, Louisiana, USA
    • Michael Kaufman
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 11, 2004
        Saint-Martin is part of Guadeloupe, an overseas
        department of France. Yet the area (1780 sq km) is
        not included in France (547,030 sq km) - it even notes
        this on the CIA Factbook page for France. Under
        Netherlands Antilles: "border countries: Guadeloupe
        (Saint Martin) 10.2 km." But under France, the
        overseas departments (French Guiana, Guadeloupe,
        Martinique, Reunion) and territorial collectivities
        (Mayotte, Saint Pierre and Miquelon) are included in
        administrative divisions, while 10 dependent areas are
        also shown in another category. Still if you go to
        Saint Pierre and Miquelon it says it is a
        "self-governing territorial collectivity." What are
        the arguments for and against overseas departments and
        overseas territories being France? And if they are
        France and not French possessions or dependencies,
        shouldn't they be included in the area of France?

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/