Charity Knitting Request - Scaves for Troops

  • Tara Jon Manning
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hey All -

      Sorry I missed you last night. I do miss you guys!

      I received this message from an organization requesting hand knitted
      scarves to include in care packages to service men and women. Perhaps
      the guild wants to organize around this or individuals might want to
      contribute. - Tara

      From: Scottyhauser@...
      Subject: Knitted Scarves for our troops
      To: info@...

      Dear Tara,

      My name is Susan and I'm a volunteer with Operation Gratitude, a
      501(c)(3) non-profit, all-volunteer corporation, funded entirely by
      private donations. Our website is- www.opgratitude.com.

      I was wondering if you and your knitting friends could help our
      servicemen and women by Knitting Scarves!! We will put them into our
      Holiday Drive care packages starting November 11. We accept scarves
      year-round. Anyone who donates scarves will be mentioned on our
      website and included in our Newsletter to our very large contact
      group. Our website gets an average of 50,000 hits/day. We will also
      send you a thank you letter for tax purposes. You can use your own
      scarf-knitting recipe or contact Sharon Howard at: sharhoward39@...

      Mail scarves to:

      Operation Gratitude
      Carolyn Blashek
      16444 Refugio Road
      Encino, California 91436

      Operation Gratitude seeks to lift troops' morale, and bring a smile to
      their faces by sending care packages to service members overseas. Our
      care packages contain food, toiletries, knitted scarves, entertainment
      items and personal letters of appreciation, all wrapped with good
      wishes of love and support. To date, we have sent out more than
      153,000 packages.

      Tara, here is a letter that Op Gratitude received from a medic and
      what our packages meant to him. It made me cry.

      "Thank you for keeping our spirits up! Your packages have helped us
      in some unexpected ways. Some time ago we received several of your
      packages at the Battalion Aid Station where I work. We placed them in
      our waiting room, and our patients would rummage through then taking
      what they liked and needed. We slowly consolidated the boxes down to
      just a few when we had an unusual visitor. A soldier stopped by and
      asked if he could take everything that was left. He packed the last
      of the boxes into his truck and drove away. Two weeks later he
      stopped again. He had taken the boxes out on one of his patrols and
      given them to a couple local families. These families in turn gave
      out the names and locations of insurgents in the area. Your boxes
      saved the lives of many soldiers who patrol the streets where these
      insurgents were setting up bombs. Not only are your boxes lifting
      spirits they are also saving lives. That makes you our Heroes! Once
      again Thank You for all you've done for us. You never know how
      completely you can effect someone's life. SPC S.R., U.S. Army Medic."

      Tara, thank you for your valuable time.

      Susan Hauser
    • Diane/Gary Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hi Tara, I like this idea and will print it out and bring it to the
        next meeting in November!
        -Diane