Dec 13th - And Question about a pattern instruction

  • energyone26
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi All! It's looking like I may be able to make the 13th - before I
      head back to PA for the holidays. Is that still on?

      I had a question about an instruction for a felt bag I'm working on.
      I've done the handles and now I'm working on casting on for the edge
      of the bag which will attach the handles at the same time.

      I have 10 stitches at the end of the handle on my left needle. Then
      it says to do a cable cast on of 10 additional stitches (which I
      did) and then it says to transfer the 10 stiches from the other end
      of the handle from the stich holder to the working needle. Done (as
      long as working needle means on the left needle where the other
      stitches are). But then it says to "knit across these stiches" and I
      should have 30 stitches (but that is how many I already have with
      the 10 handle end + 10 cast on + 10 handle end).

      So I can't figure out what they mean by "knit across the stitches".
      It's probably very obvious, but my brain just ain't getting it!
      Anyone have an idea of what they are talking about?

      Thanks and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday!
      Kelley
    • Diane/Gary Carlson
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hi Kelley , I can take a couple guesses at this.
        First, yes, I'm planning on attending the Dec. 13th "meeting", unless
        there's a blizzard or something.

        As for the quandary you are in, what I'm thinking is that the "working
        needle" is the right hand needle. So you put the 10 stitches from the
        other side of the handle onto the right needle. Is there yarn coming
        off the end of that side? If so, use it to knit across the 10 + 10
        stitches on the left needle, and there you've got your 30!

        May I ask what pattern this is? It *almost* sounds familiar, and if I
        can look at it I might be able to help you better. I've got a zillion
        pattern books here at home...
        -Diane

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
          Wait. Now that I've thought about it some more, maybe it means this:

          After you cable cast on 10 stitches, then you've got 20 on the LH
          needle. Turn that needle around and make it your RH needle, then knit
          the other 10 live stitches that you have put on the left needle.
          There - 30 stitches!

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
            Thanks, Diane! I think that did it. At least I now have the 30
            stitches connected. It's the Felted Market Bag from the book
            Knitting the Easy Way. It was in the Borders bargain section.

            --- In BoulderHKG@yahoogroups.com, Diane/Gary Carlson <dg3909@...>
            wrote:

            > Wait. Now that I've thought about it some more, maybe it means
            this:

            > After you cable cast on 10 stitches, then you've got 20 on the LH
            > needle. Turn that needle around and make it your RH needle, then
            knit
            > the other 10 live stitches that you have put on the left needle.
            > There - 30 stitches!
            >
            > On Dec 4, 2007, at 5:12 PM, energyone26 wrote:
            >
            > Hi All! It's looking like I may be able to make the 13th - before I
            > head back to PA for the holidays. Is that still on?
            >
            > I had a question about an instruction for a felt bag I'm working
            on.
            > I've done the handles and now I'm working on casting on for the
            edge
            > of the bag which will attach the handles at the same time.
            >
            > I have 10 stitches at the end of the handle on my left needle.
            Then
            > it says to do a cable cast on of 10 additional stitches (which I
            > did) and then it says to transfer the 10 stiches from the other
            end
            > of the handle from the stich holder to the working needle. Done
            (as
            > long as working needle means on the left needle where the other
            > stitches are). But then it says to "knit across these stiches"
            and I
            > should have 30 stitches (but that is how many I already have with
            > the 10 handle end + 10 cast on + 10 handle end).
            >
            > So I can't figure out what they mean by "knit across the
            stitches".
            > It's probably very obvious, but my brain just ain't getting it!
            > Anyone have an idea of what they are talking about?
            >
            > Thanks and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday!
            > Kelley

          • Diane/Gary Carlson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
              Glad I could help. Oddly enough, I haven't heard of that book! I'll
              have to look that one up. :O
              -Diane

              wrote:

              > Wait. Now that I've thought about it some more, maybe it means
              this:

              > After you cable cast on 10 stitches, then you've got 20 on the LH
              > needle. Turn that needle around and make it your RH needle, then
              knit
              > the other 10 live stitches that you have put on the left needle.
              > There - 30 stitches!
              >
              > On Dec 4, 2007, at 5:12 PM, energyone26 wrote:
              >
              > Hi All! It's looking like I may be able to make the 13th - before I
              > head back to PA for the holidays. Is that still on?
              >
              > I had a question about an instruction for a felt bag I'm working
              on.
              > I've done the handles and now I'm working on casting on for the
              edge
              > of the bag which will attach the handles at the same time.
              >
              > I have 10 stitches at the end of the handle on my left needle.
              Then
              > it says to do a cable cast on of 10 additional stitches (which I
              > did) and then it says to transfer the 10 stiches from the other
              end
              > of the handle from the stich holder to the working needle. Done
              (as
              > long as working needle means on the left needle where the other
              > stitches are). But then it says to "knit across these stiches"
              and I
              > should have 30 stitches (but that is how many I already have with
              > the 10 handle end + 10 cast on + 10 handle end).
              >
              > So I can't figure out what they mean by "knit across the
              stitches".
              > It's probably very obvious, but my brain just ain't getting it!
              > Anyone have an idea of what they are talking about?
              >
              > Thanks and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday!
              > Kelley

            • Penny Hause
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                As a follow-up to our entrelac meeting some months ago, did y'all see
                the entrelac headband in Knitty?

                http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTquant.html

                Penny (snowed in, I think, and getting more so)
              • Jenifer Farrell
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                  Hi Penny!  I did, and I'm actually almost finished with one!  I'll let you all know when I finish it!

                  I've been missing all the bhk meetings lately and I'm getting bummed out about it!  Unfortunately I won't make it this week because I'll be at a district retreat up in Estes Park ... about the last place I want to drive to this week, but oh well.

                  Happy holidays to all of you if I don't run into any of you soon!
                  Jenifer

                  --
                  Jenifer James Farrell

                  "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."  Mahatma Gandhi
                • Diane/Gary Carlson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                    Hi Jenifer and Penny!
                    I'm still planning on going to Border's on Thursday, unless we get icy
                    conditions. I'll keep in touch about that. And if nobody shows up,
                    well I'll just have myself some coffee and knit anyway!

                    Penny, I did see that entrelac headband and it's beautiful! I made
                    something similar a while ago, and it was a headband like that and it
                    tied at the back. I didn't like the way that worked, so I passed this
                    one by, but it's a lovely pattern. It would be nice to convert it to
                    a hat, with the brim still being entrelac!

                    I'll check out your headband on ravelry, Jenifer!
                    -Diane

                    On 12/11/07, Penny Hause <phause@...> wrote:As a follow-up to

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                      That would require me updating my ravelry account, Diane ... but we've moved our computer upstairs, we're about to go online (thus the big absence from blog life!), and then maybe I'll start updating again ... :)

                      Jenifer

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 11, 2007
                        Well that explains where you've been!
                        On Dec 11, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Jenifer Farrell wrote:

                        That would require me updating my ravelry account, Diane ... but we've
                        moved our computer upstairs, we're about to go online (thus the big
                        absence from blog life!), and then maybe I'll start updating again ...
                        :)