Regarding Transfer Enchantment.

  • Patricia Adams
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi all,

      I went back over the rules tonight. And I think that a couple of us
      were incorrect about the transfer enchantment ritual.

      To transfer the enchantment, you have to have:
      * same item type (rod, wand, weapon, etc..)
      * same item slot (chest, helm, waist)
      * be compatible (ranged weapon powers cannot go on melee weapons,
      cloth armor only enchantments cannot go on chain mail)

      Also, since it's LFR you need to:
      * be fourth level and purchase a scroll.
      * be adventuring with someone who has the transfer enchantment ritual
      and pay the material component cost for them (25G)
      you also need to buy the base item to be enchanted, or have one already

      My artificer is very happy to do this for anyone that she adventures
      with.

      So:
      Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Your Monk's Magic Fists +3 is valid.
      Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Magic Longbow +3 is valid.
      Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Magic Fullblade +3 is valid.

      Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Magic Armor +3 is not valid.

      Sorry guys, no "magic weapon +X -> magic armor +X" for you..

      I think a reasonable argument can be made for other item swaps in the
      generic +X case. I'm going to ask wotc for a clarification before
      I say anything more and lead people astray.

      Seems item "type" isn't really defined clearly anywhere...

      Trysha
    • Patricia Adams
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
        A couple more notes on magical weapons, transfers and enchantments.

        On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:21:27AM -0500, Patricia Adams wrote:
        > * be fourth level and purchase a scroll.

        (this costs 200G - 175 for the scroll and 25 for the components)

        > * be adventuring with someone who has the transfer enchantment ritual
        > and pay the material component cost for them (25G)
        > you also need to buy the base item to be enchanted, or have one already

        (the DM has to allow this, without the dungeon enchanter feat it takes
        one hour to do the enchantment so odds are you can't likely do until
        the end of the adventure..)

        > Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Your Monk's Magic Fists +3 is valid.
        > Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Magic Longbow +3 is valid.
        > Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Magic Fullblade +3 is valid.
        > Magic Pointy Thing +3 -> Magic Armor +3 is not valid.

        > Sorry guys, no "magic weapon +X -> magic armor +X" for you..

        ---------------------------
        In regards to implements, I asked WoTC to be sure, and customer service said.

        Magic Implement +X can't be transferred between implement types.
        Magic Wand +X -> Magic Rod +X is a no-go.
        Magic Holy Symbol +X -> Magic Sword +X is certainly not allowed either.

        Magic Staff +2 -> Sword would work, as a sword and staff are both weapons.
        But, Force Staff +2 -> Force Sword +2 is not valid.

        ---------------------------
        I overheard someone say at a table that magic items could be downgraded.
        "Vicious Fullblade +3" could become "Magic Fullblade +3".

        That's NOT the case, unless the item or character in question has been
        nerfed/changed to be made invalid. So your avenger can no longer
        wear armor? Then you can turn in that veterans armor +2 for something
        else... BUT you can't at any other time.

        Sorry for the spam, but hopefully people will find this information useful.
        If you can contractict these things with specific rules, please let me know.

        Trysha
      • Patricia Adams
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
          On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:40:12PM -0500, bostonharp@... wrote:
          > With the new LFR rules allowing unlimited retraining and now the Transfer
          > Enchantment ritual...4e is become more and more of a power-gamer's game
          > than it already was. Too bad.

          Well, transfer enchantment was a ritual in adventuers vault.
          So it's been around a long while, people just have only seemed to
          be using it recently...

          Blame me :D I have a character whose IC concept is that she's
          facinated with magical items, and tinkering with them.

          So yes, after I mentioned it once a few weeks ago... >.>

          The unlimited retraining, it does seem a bit excessive IMO as well.
          But, it has its uses...

          Trysha
        • bostonharp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010

[...]

          • Michael Kosteva
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              > The unlimited retraining, it does seem a bit excessive IMO as well.
              > But, it has its uses...

              Yup: selling books. :)