Re: Publicity for the group

  • Edward Feustel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
      --- In BostonAreaTUG@yahoogroups.com, Linda Reinfeld
      <Linda.Reinfeld@...> wrote:

      > Ed -
      >
      > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
      > our meeting at the society.
      > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
      > confirmation.
      > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
      > hear anything.
      >
      > Linda
      > Edward A. Feustel wrote:
      > >
      > > All,
      > > We need to announce our meeting on the regular
      > > TMG list. I propose that we say something like:
      > >
      > > 'The Boston Area TMG Users Group will meet
      > > Saturday, June 16, 2007 at the New England
      > > Historic and Genealogical Society Library
      > > in Boston from 2 PM to 4 PM. See
      > > http://www.newenglandancestors.org/about/visit_nehgs/visit_main.asp
      > > <http://www.newenglandancestors.org/about/visit_nehgs/visit_main.asp>
      > > for driving directions and directions for using
      > > public transportation.
      > >
      > > The meeting will focus on basic use of the program
      > > "The Master Genealogist" (TMG) by showing
      > > Bob Velke's DVD introduction. Experienced
      > > users will be present to answer your questions about
      > > basic and advanced use of the program. Copies of the
      > > program are also available at the Society's store.
      > >
      > > The Boston Area TMG Users Group is a new
      > > organization seeking to educate TMG users
      > > and share experiences with it and other useful
      > > computer software related to TMG. It has
      > > a mailing list on yahoogroups.com called
      > > BostonAreaTUG. If you live in the Boston
      > > area and would like to learn from us or
      > > contribute your experience, please join
      > > us and request to be added to our mailing
      > > list.'
      > >
      > > Are there additions or subtractions that others feel
      > > desirable?
      > >
      > > Ed Feustel
      > > (603)298-5716

      Linda,
      I agree that it would be good to wait for confirmation, but if we
      don't get it SOON, I would be in favor of skipping this month.

      I wonder if NEHGS has announced it yet. I haven't seen anything.
      Ed
    • Edward Feustel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
        <Linda.Reinfeld@...> wrote:

        > Ed -
        >
        > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
        > our meeting at the society.
        > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
        > confirmation.
        > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
        > hear anything.
        >
        > Linda

        All,

        I think is time to cancel the meeting proposed for June 16.
        If NEHGS objects, I think we ought to say that so far we have not
        seen the cooperation we need to make meetings there successful.
        Let us try to set up a meeting for the 21st of July, but we
        really need NEHGS cooperation and their advertisement of our
        meeting.

        I can't see paying $42 for a meeting next weekend with this
        short a time to get out publicity for it. We might as well
        meet at Linda's son's office. No point in reviewing the basic
        dvd either.

        What do the rest of you think.

        Ed Feustel
        (603)298-5716
      • John Cardinal
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
          Message
          I agree with Ed that 1 week is not adequate time to publicize a meeting. Also, if NEHGS is going to make meetings difficult to schedule--despite good intentions on their part--we can't meet there.
        • Joseph Toland
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007

            I am inclined to agree with Ed and John. If it’s going to work for us, then July makes more sense.

            JoeToland

            joseph.toland@...

            "HE THAT WOULD MAKE HIS OWN LIBERTY SECURE MUST GUARD EVEN HIS ENEMY FROM OPPRESSION; FOR IF HE VIOLATES THIS DUTY HE ESTABLISHES A PRECEDENT THAT WILL REACH TO HIMSELF"

            > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
            > our meeting at the society.
            > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
            > confirmation.
            > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
            > hear anything.
            >
            > Linda

            All,

            I think is time to cancel the meeting proposed for June 16.
            If NEHGS objects, I think we ought to say that so far we have not
            seen the cooperation we need to make meetings there successful.
            Let us try to set up a meeting for the 21st of July, but we
            really need NEHGS cooperation and their advertisement of our
            meeting.

            I can't see paying $42 for a meeting next weekend with this
            short a time to get out publicity for it. We might as well
            meet at Linda's son's office. No point in reviewing the basic
            dvd either.

            What do the rest of you think.

            Ed Feustel
            (603)298-5716

          • Linda Reinfeld
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
              Hi to all -

              Sorry about this - perhaps I'm to blame for not getting back (being a squeaky wheel)  to NEHGS sooner. I wrote to Justine (my new contact) on Thursday, and received this in reply (within about 15 mins of my e-mail to her):
              Sorry about that.  I was not sure why your group was referred to me and thought perhaps I was just copied on the email.  Let me check regarding the times available and I will let you know shortly.
              I thought for sure I would hear from her on Friday - and I haven't.
              You are all right - less than a week is probably not enough time to publicize the meeting adequately. So I vote for cancellation also.
              I think we need to be a little patient with the society - I think it takes time & some false beginnings to start up a group like this.....but we are determined!!

              Linda

              <Linda.Reinfeld@ ...> wrote:

              > Ed -
              >
              > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
              > our meeting at the society.
              > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
              > confirmation.
              > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
              > hear anything.
              >
              > Linda

              All,

              I think is time to cancel the meeting proposed for June 16.
              If NEHGS objects, I think we ought to say that so far we have not
              seen the cooperation we need to make meetings there successful.
              Let us try to set up a meeting for the 21st of July, but we
              really need NEHGS cooperation and their advertisement of our
              meeting.

              I can't see paying $42 for a meeting next weekend with this
              short a time to get out publicity for it. We might as well
              meet at Linda's son's office. No point in reviewing the basic
              dvd either.

              What do the rest of you think.

              Ed Feustel
              (603)298-5716

              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.13/840 - Release Date: 6/8/2007 3:15 PM