Re: [BostonAreaTUG] Publicity for the group

  • Linda Reinfeld
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
      Ed -

      Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming our meeting at the society.
      I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have confirmation.
      I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't hear anything.

      Linda
      Edward A. Feustel wrote:

      All,
      We need to announce our meeting on the regular
      TMG list. I propose that we say something like:

      'The Boston Area TMG Users Group will meet
      Saturday, June 16, 2007 at the New England
      Historic and Genealogical Society Library
      in Boston from 2 PM to 4 PM. See
      http://www.newengla ndancestors. org/about/ visit_nehgs/ visit_main. asp
      for driving directions and directions for using
      public transportation.

      The meeting will focus on basic use of the program
      "The Master Genealogist" (TMG) by showing
      Bob Velke's DVD introduction. Experienced
      users will be present to answer your questions about
      basic and advanced use of the program. Copies of the
      program are also available at the Society's store.

      The Boston Area TMG Users Group is a new
      organization seeking to educate TMG users
      and share experiences with it and other useful
      computer software related to TMG. It has
      a mailing list on yahoogroups. com called
      BostonAreaTUG. If you live in the Boston
      area and would like to learn from us or
      contribute your experience, please join
      us and request to be added to our mailing
      list.'

      Are there additions or subtractions that others feel
      desirable?

      Ed Feustel
      (603)298-5716

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.11/837 - Release Date: 6/6/2007 2:03 PM

    • Edward Feustel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
        --- In BostonAreaTUG@yahoogroups.com, Linda Reinfeld
        <Linda.Reinfeld@...> wrote:

        > Ed -
        >
        > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
        > our meeting at the society.
        > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
        > confirmation.
        > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
        > hear anything.
        >
        > Linda
        > Edward A. Feustel wrote:
        > >
        > > All,
        > > We need to announce our meeting on the regular
        > > TMG list. I propose that we say something like:
        > >
        > > 'The Boston Area TMG Users Group will meet
        > > Saturday, June 16, 2007 at the New England
        > > Historic and Genealogical Society Library
        > > in Boston from 2 PM to 4 PM. See
        > > http://www.newenglandancestors.org/about/visit_nehgs/visit_main.asp
        > > <http://www.newenglandancestors.org/about/visit_nehgs/visit_main.asp>
        > > for driving directions and directions for using
        > > public transportation.
        > >
        > > The meeting will focus on basic use of the program
        > > "The Master Genealogist" (TMG) by showing
        > > Bob Velke's DVD introduction. Experienced
        > > users will be present to answer your questions about
        > > basic and advanced use of the program. Copies of the
        > > program are also available at the Society's store.
        > >
        > > The Boston Area TMG Users Group is a new
        > > organization seeking to educate TMG users
        > > and share experiences with it and other useful
        > > computer software related to TMG. It has
        > > a mailing list on yahoogroups.com called
        > > BostonAreaTUG. If you live in the Boston
        > > area and would like to learn from us or
        > > contribute your experience, please join
        > > us and request to be added to our mailing
        > > list.'
        > >
        > > Are there additions or subtractions that others feel
        > > desirable?
        > >
        > > Ed Feustel
        > > (603)298-5716

        Linda,
        I agree that it would be good to wait for confirmation, but if we
        don't get it SOON, I would be in favor of skipping this month.

        I wonder if NEHGS has announced it yet. I haven't seen anything.
        Ed
      • Edward Feustel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
          <Linda.Reinfeld@...> wrote:

          > Ed -
          >
          > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
          > our meeting at the society.
          > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
          > confirmation.
          > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
          > hear anything.
          >
          > Linda

          All,

          I think is time to cancel the meeting proposed for June 16.
          If NEHGS objects, I think we ought to say that so far we have not
          seen the cooperation we need to make meetings there successful.
          Let us try to set up a meeting for the 21st of July, but we
          really need NEHGS cooperation and their advertisement of our
          meeting.

          I can't see paying $42 for a meeting next weekend with this
          short a time to get out publicity for it. We might as well
          meet at Linda's son's office. No point in reviewing the basic
          dvd either.

          What do the rest of you think.

          Ed Feustel
          (603)298-5716
        • John Cardinal
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
            Message
            I agree with Ed that 1 week is not adequate time to publicize a meeting. Also, if NEHGS is going to make meetings difficult to schedule--despite good intentions on their part--we can't meet there.
          • Joseph Toland
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007

              I am inclined to agree with Ed and John. If it’s going to work for us, then July makes more sense.

              JoeToland

              joseph.toland@...

              "HE THAT WOULD MAKE HIS OWN LIBERTY SECURE MUST GUARD EVEN HIS ENEMY FROM OPPRESSION; FOR IF HE VIOLATES THIS DUTY HE ESTABLISHES A PRECEDENT THAT WILL REACH TO HIMSELF"

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
                Hi to all -

                Sorry about this - perhaps I'm to blame for not getting back (being a squeaky wheel)  to NEHGS sooner. I wrote to Justine (my new contact) on Thursday, and received this in reply (within about 15 mins of my e-mail to her):
                Sorry about that.  I was not sure why your group was referred to me and thought perhaps I was just copied on the email.  Let me check regarding the times available and I will let you know shortly.
                I thought for sure I would hear from her on Friday - and I haven't.
                You are all right - less than a week is probably not enough time to publicize the meeting adequately. So I vote for cancellation also.
                I think we need to be a little patient with the society - I think it takes time & some false beginnings to start up a group like this.....but we are determined!!

                Linda

                <Linda.Reinfeld@ ...> wrote:

                > Ed -
                >
                > Thanks for reminding me - I haven't heard back from Justine confirming
                > our meeting at the society.
                > I wrote to her last week. I think we should wait on this until we have
                > confirmation.
                > I just sent her another e-mail, and will call her tomorrow if I don't
                > hear anything.
                >
                > Linda

                All,

                I think is time to cancel the meeting proposed for June 16.
                If NEHGS objects, I think we ought to say that so far we have not
                seen the cooperation we need to make meetings there successful.
                Let us try to set up a meeting for the 21st of July, but we
                really need NEHGS cooperation and their advertisement of our
                meeting.

                I can't see paying $42 for a meeting next weekend with this
                short a time to get out publicity for it. We might as well
                meet at Linda's son's office. No point in reviewing the basic
                dvd either.

                What do the rest of you think.

                Ed Feustel
                (603)298-5716

                No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.13/840 - Release Date: 6/8/2007 3:15 PM