Re: [Fwd: RE: Boston-area TMG user's meeting]

  • Edward A. Feustel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2007
      Linda,
      Thank you for your hard work!

      I have also copied the BostonTUG@yahoogroups.com  because all mail to it is archived and it can be
      found through search of the yahoogroups. (This means you may get this twice.) Let's try to
      always include BostonTUG in the future. Those not wishing to join the BostonTUG group
      on yahoogroups should let us know so that we can address mail to them separately.

      Let's meet for two months, preferably not on the second Saturday of the month.
      I am willing to advance the funds for the deposit. We need to advertise as
      widely as possible and indicate that we need donations to cover costs.

      A beginner's session featuring one of the following might be a good starter:
      1. Data Entry
      2. Search for direct ancestors
      3. Simple report
      4. Preferences for the program
      5. Conversion of a data set to TMG.
      A second session the same day might feature user's questions
      and answers from the assembled group.

      Alternatively, I have the TMG Advanced DVD that we could use for part of the program.
      In the future, if John Cardinal could introduce us to Second Site that would be useful.

      If these ideas don't meet the needs of the group, I'll try to find some additional ones
      from the Arlington RUG.

      What do others think/need/hope to get out of the group?
      Ed Feustel
      (603)298-5716

      Linda Reinfeld wrote:
      Hi Everyone -

      I finally got a response from Marie at NEHGS - and the reason for her delay. I guess I am naive, but I didn't expect to have to 'rent' the facility. But it does make sense. I'm not sure how to co-ordinate this, but everyone should e-mail everyone and share ideas. I think my idea is that we should meet a couple of times to make sure there is interest & people can attend meetings, and then sign up with the society. Everyone's idea should be shared - whatever you're thinking.

      Linda Reinfeld

      PS - Excuse this if I am not doing this correctly - I have never started a group like his (or actually even attended one!)
      PPS - There is a 5-page document attached to this which identifies the facilities at the society. If you can't download this, let me know....

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2007
        Message
        I sent this message to everyone on the original CC: and TO: lists because it does not appear that most people have joing the BostonTUG group.

        A comment on the BostonTUG group: Membership in the group is moderated, i.e., new members must be approved by a moderator, and I think that's appropriate. I also think messages sent to botsontug@yahoogroups.com should only be accepted from members, but I am not sure if that is how the mailing list is configured at this time.

        Regarding the cost of renting the meeting room, I understand why the NEHGS would charge a fee. $42 seems very reasonable, and I appreciate the 50% discount and waver of the minimum charge.

        On the other hand, there are two aspects of the rental which surprised me. First, leaving the room in as as-found condition, like returning tables and chairs to the initial state, makes sense. I think the renter should assume some responsibility for basic cleaning such as vacuuming the carpet. I was also surprised by the requirement that the renter assume legal responsibility for "damage to property or injury to any person occurring directly in connection with, or as a direct result of negligence or omissions of the client, its employees, agents or guests." I'm no lawyer, but that seems to mean that if attendee "A" accidentally trips attendee "B", the renter may be a legal target if attendee "B" decides to sue. I suspect that's not a big concern because in our case, the renter has no assets and organizations with no assets are not typically legal targets. Still, it gives one pause. I wouldn't want my personal assets jeopardized by participating in some way in the space rental.

        My experience in this area is limited to reserving meeting rooms, usually at hotels, for business meetings. In those cases, there was no similar requirement on the part of the renter; the hotel was offering a service, getting paid for it, and presumably having insurance was part of the cost of doing business borne by the hotel.

        If we are going to pay for meeting space, I wonder if we should check prices at hotels and other facilities. Personally, getting in and out of Boston, finding parking near NEHGS, and paying for parking, are negatives associated with the NEHGS space. The space is wonderful, overall, and would certainly add to the genealogical ambiance, but I'd be just as happy at a more convenient location with free parking.

        Lastly, I think it's very generous of Ed to volunteer to advance the funds for the deposit for the first couple months. Prior to doing that, we need to find out if people are willing to make a $7 per meeting donation in order to attend the meetings. Perhaps it would be less at another facility. I think $7 is enough to reduce participation. I'd pay it, but I think other people might not.

        John

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2007
          John,
          Thanks for your comments.

          Non-BostonTUG-members so far are Lillian and Jim. There are 6 members
          and two non members
          of us so far. Only members may post, but all may look at the archives.
          If you want me to limit
          access to the archives, I will.

          Perhaps Linda could fill us in on parking. I understand that there is
          some available in the immediate area.
          As to the cost, I would hope that we would have more than the 8 of us
          present. If only 8 will come, then I agree
          we should seek other quarters. I believe both Jim and Linda suggested
          we meet at their houses (I may not be remembering
          correctly). I would hope that our meetings would bring 25-50 people
          within a matter of a few months. That is
          too many for a residence.

          It is my understanding that the Library is open in the morning, so a person
          coming a distance such as I (130 miles each way) would be encouraged by
          visiting it first and then staying
          after Lunch for the Boston TUG group. I certainly am open to other
          venues, but am not in a position to
          search them out. . But the library has good facilities for projection
          from a desktop. This turned out to be
          important in the Arlington RUG meetings. Further because of the issues
          of Homeland Security, many
          venues once open are now closed.

          The insurance issue does not bother me that much. Perhaps I am naive.
          Perhaps because we are asking for donations and I am fronting them,
          I would be the only person responsible.

          What do others have to say?
          Regards,
          Ed Feustel
          (603)298-5716

        • Donna Milley
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2007
            Jointed yahoo and requested to join BostonTUG. I live in Reading and am located between two commuter rail stations.  The Woburn/Anderson Transportation Center directly off Rt. 93 has good train service on Saturdays. Rather than drive/park in Boston, I drive to Sullivan Square and take the Orange line T to Back Bay station. Parking is easy at T stations on weekends. Check out the MBTA website for the T station nearest to your drive into Boston.  If you want to park near NEHGS, there is also a parking garage on Clarendon Street next to Back Bay station -- maybe names Hancock something? It's about 3 blocks north of Newbury. If anyone is travelling down 93, I'd be happy to pick up at a convenient location near 93 and drive the T at Sullivan Square.

            Having worked at several churches, I know they charged 2 and 3 times that for room usage. I think the NEHGS price is probably the best we can do, unless someone has a "connection" to a function room. At the NH TMG group, admittance is a $5 donation to the Library.

            Donna Milley

            On 4/14/07, Jim Byram <jim.byram@...> wrote:
            I just initiated a request to join the mail list.

            > Personally, getting in and out of Boston, finding parking near NEHGS, and
            > paying for parking, are negatives associated with the NEHGS space. The
            > space is wonderful, overall, and would certainly add to the genealogical
            > ambiance, but I'd be just as happy at a more convenient location with free
            > parking.

            This is my one hang-up with using NEHGS. Meeting there is a major
            inconvinience and expense. I have no issue with the meeting space cost.

            Jim

            --
            donnamilley@...
          • Edward Feustel
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2007
              Donna,
              These are excellent suggestions! Ride sharing could be an excellent
              option. And the subway avoids
              parking charges, even though it is somewhat less convenient. Please
              feel free to let the NH group know about the list. It is the easiest
              way to keep up.

              All,

              You should all be able to send to the entire group now through
              BostonTUG@yahoogroups.com except for Lillian. She is the only person
              who needs to be addressed individually now.

              Just as soon as the group has a date, venue, and program, we should
              announce it on the TMG list and to the NH Group.

              As I mentioned previously, the Arlington RUG adjourns for lunch after
              its Saturday Morning meetings. Perhaps
              some of us could have lunch or dinner depending on the time of the
              meeting and on agreement about a restaurant/food type.

              What would you like meetings to cover? Genealogy? TMG? Add on TMG
              products? Audio? Video? Scans? Web Sites? (I owe thanks to John for
              his Second Site and TMG Utility!) With some luck, we might even get
              Bob Velke to visit our meetings when he is in the area.

              Regards,
              Ed

              --- In BostonTUG@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Milley" <donnamilley@...> wrote:

              > Jointed yahoo and requested to join BostonTUG. I live in Reading
              > and am located between two commuter rail stations. The Woburn/Anderson
              > Transportation Center directly off Rt. 93 has good train service on
              > Saturdays. Rather than drive/park in Boston, I drive to Sullivan
              Square and
              > take the Orange line T to Back Bay station. Parking is easy at T
              stations on
              > weekends. Check out the MBTA website for the T station nearest to
              your drive
              > into Boston. If you want to park near NEHGS, there is also a
              parking garage
              > on Clarendon Street next to Back Bay station -- maybe names Hancock
              > something? It's about 3 blocks north of Newbury. If anyone is travelling
              > down 93, I'd be happy to pick up at a convenient location near 93
              and drive
              > the T at Sullivan Square.
              >
              > Having worked at several churches, I know they charged 2 and 3 times
              that
              > for room usage. I think the NEHGS price is probably the best we can do,
              > unless someone has a "connection" to a function room. At the NH TMG
              group,
              > admittance is a $5 donation to the Library.
              >
              > Donna Milley
              >

              > On 4/14/07, Jim Byram <jim.byram@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just initiated a request to join the mail list.
              > >
              > > > Personally, getting in and out of Boston, finding parking near
              NEHGS,
              > > and
              > > > paying for parking, are negatives associated with the NEHGS
              space. The
              > > > space is wonderful, overall, and would certainly add to the
              genealogical
              > > > ambiance, but I'd be just as happy at a more convenient location
              with
              > > free
              > > > parking.
              > >
              > > This is my one hang-up with using NEHGS. Meeting there is a major
              > > inconvinience and expense. I have no issue with the meeting space
              cost.

              > > Jim
              > >

              > --
              > donnamilley@...

            • Linda Reinfeld
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2007
                Hi all -

                I received this from Marie, and it looks as though they are expecting us. Tomorrow, Tuesday, I will write to Justine to firm up plans.
                I will keep the list informed.

                Linda

                Thank you for your patience. We have had our initial meeting of our group, to decide what to do and where to do it, and have decided that the Society would be an excellent place for meeting. People would be able to combine meetings with research at the society. You mentioned Saturday - would the third Saturday of the month work for you? That would make the first meeting be June 16th. Are you flexible for time - mornings or afternoons? Some would prefer morning, some afternoon - I believe we didn't know about the availability of the Society. Also, if we reserve a time every month, would this include the summer months?

                For the first meeting we had 6 people attending. We have not advertised the group on the TMG mailing list, or on the TMG web site - I expect we will have more interest when we do that. The charge that you suggested ($42) sounds very reasonable to us. We are looking forward to any help you can give us.

                I noticed in the rental information you sent out Justine Eachus was listed as a contact person - should we be dealing with her? or continue to contact you?

                Thank you for your help. We are all looking forward to the development of this group, in aiding and promoting the use of TMG, and inspiring good genealogical research!

                Linda Reinfeld
                Daly, Marie wrote:

[...]

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.