How do you enter a "Boarder"

  • Toni Picariello
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2008
      There was a boarder at my ggrandmother's house. How do I enter or
      list this boarder??

      At one of the BostonAreaTUG meetings, it was mentioned that it could
      be done, but I can't remember.

      Please HELP!! Thanks,

      Toni Picariello
    • Bob Geldart
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2008
        In TMG, enter the boarder as a witness. You can change the sentence to be appropriate.

        Might want to post this to the TMG list as a whole.

        At 2/24/2008 10:25 AM, you wrote:
        There was a boarder at my ggrandmother's house.  How do I enter or
        list this boarder??

        At one of the BostonAreaTUG meetings, it was mentioned that it could
        be done, but I can't remember.

        Bob Geldart                BGeldart@...
        Maynard, MA
      • Dick Shryock
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2008
          Toni,

          There are a couple of ways that this can be done, as Bob pointed out the
          person can be listed as a witness to the census. Another more advanced
          way is to add a new role to the census called boarder and design an
          appropriate sentence for that role such as: [W] appeared on the 1930
          Federal Census <of [LCI],>< [LCN],> [LS] in the household of [P] <and
          [PO]>, as a boarder <[WM]><[M]>.

          Terry Reigel, has good information about using roles in sentences at:
          http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Sentences.htm

          I always add boarders and other unrelated people to my data base, there
          is no telling when that boarder may end up marring one of the children
          in the household.

          Be sure to add the boarder as an unrelated person to your database.

          Hope that this helps.

          Dick Shryock
          On the rock bound coast of Maine