Drive Busy ???

  • hookpool
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 2 10:20 PM
      Perhaps someone can explain this to me. I was panning tracks(on the
      br900) and suddenly the song stopped and the read out said "drive
      busy".The entire machine was non responsive so I turned it off then on
      again and it loaded up fine but now after about 40 seconds of playing
      it keeps happening. This is very frustrating and I have never had this
      happen. What should/can I do about this??
      Thanks,
      Hook
    • sixtyfourguitars
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3 8:38 AM
        --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "hookpool" <hookpool@...> wrote:

        > Perhaps someone can explain this to me. I was panning tracks(on the
        > br900) and suddenly the song stopped and the read out said "drive
        > busy".The entire machine was non responsive so I turned it off then
        > on again and it loaded up fine but now after about 40 seconds of
        > playing it keeps happening. This is very frustrating and I have
        > never had this happen. What should/can I do about this??

        Before you do anything, backup your song.

        According to page 214 of the BR-900 manual, this error is caused by
        slow memory card access due to data fragmentation. However, I noticed
        that someone else has asked the same question in the BR-900 group (or
        is that you too?). Since I don't recall hearing of this problem on any
        other BR model, I suspect that it may be due to a bug in the BR-900
        firmware. What version are you using? If you don't know, see this page:

        http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/Tutorials/FirmwareVersion.html

        The latest version I'm aware of is 1.02. If your version number is
        lower, you should probably update your BR to version 1.02. You can
        download it from this page:

        http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?dsection=d_downloads&ObjectId=718

        It fixes several problems with the BR-900 so it's probably worth
        updating even if it doesn't solve your Drive Busy problem (although it
        might).

        You could also try optimizing your song, as described on page 78 of
        the BR-900 manual. Or you could try a different memory card. I think a
        faster card might be less likely to produce this error.

        - 64Guitars
        http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/
      • Eric Halvorsen
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3 5:38 PM
          Thanks 64. Optimizing didn't help so I'll try this. Now we have already established my technical deficiencies so I download this onto my computer then hook up the 900 w/ usb (I have never done this). Then what? there seem to be no instructions to update does it do it automatically?
           Thanks
           Hook

          sixtyfourguitars <sixtyfourguitars@...> wrote:
          --- In BossBr@yahoogroups. com, "hookpool" <hookpool@.. .> wrote:

          > Perhaps someone can explain this to me. I was panning tracks(on the
          > br900) and suddenly the song stopped and the read out said "drive
          > busy".The entire machine was non responsive so I turned it off then
          > on again and it loaded up fine but now after about 40 seconds of
          > playing it keeps happening. This is very frustrating and I have
          > never had this happen. What should/can I do about this??

          Before you do anything, backup your song.

          According to page 214 of the BR-900 manual, this error is caused by
          slow memory card access due to data fragmentation. However, I noticed
          that someone else has asked the same question in the BR-900 group (or
          is that you too?). Since I don't recall hearing of this problem on any
          other BR model, I suspect that it may be due to a bug in the BR-900
          firmware. What version are you using? If you don't know, see this page:

          http://www.geocitie s.com/sixtyfourg uitars/BossBr/ Tutorials/ FirmwareVersion. html

          The latest version I'm aware of is 1.02. If your version number is
          lower, you should probably update your BR to version 1.02. You can
          download it from this page:

          http://www.rolandus .com/products/ productdetails. aspx?dsection= d_downloads& ObjectId= 718

          It fixes several problems with the BR-900 so it's probably worth
          updating even if it doesn't solve your Drive Busy problem (although it
          might).

          You could also try optimizing your song, as described on page 78 of
          the BR-900 manual. Or you could try a different memory card. I think a
          faster card might be less likely to produce this error.

          - 64Guitars
          http://www.geocitie s.com/sixtyfourg uitars/BossBr/

          always stay connected to friends.

        • sixtyfourguitars
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3 7:12 PM
            --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, Eric Halvorsen <hookpool@...> wrote:

            > Thanks 64. Optimizing didn't help so I'll try this. Now we have
            > already established my technical deficiencies so I download this
            > onto my computer then hook up the 900 w/ usb (I have never done
            > this). Then what? there seem to be no instructions to update does
            > it do it automatically?

            The update file you downloaded is a zip archive. So the first thing
            you need to do is unzip it into an empty directory. Inside, you'll
            find a file called "readme.pdf" which describes very clearly how to
            perform the update. Basically, you have to burn a CD with several of
            the files included in the zip archive.

            If you don't know how to unzip the files and burn them to a CD, I
            think it would be best if you got a computer-literate friend or
            relative to help you.

            It's important to do a full backup of your BR-900 before doing the
            update as it will reset everything to factory defaults. However, a
            backup doesn't include any user effects you might have on your BR. If
            you have any user effects you want to keep, you'll need to create a
            new song and copy each of these user effects into the corresponding
            position in the song effects (so U01 is written to S01, U02 to S02,
            and so on). Then do the full backup. Unlike user effects, song effects
            ARE saved with the backup. After doing the firmware update, you can
            restore the backup and copy the effects from the song area back to the
            user area (S01 is written to U01, S02 to U02, etc.)

            After you've updated the firmware and restored the backup, check your
            song for the Drive Busy problem. If it's still there, do another song
            optimize. It's possible that the optimize code may have been improved
            in the new version so it's worth trying.

            Good luck.

            - 64Guitars
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 5 10:26 AM
              Well surprisingly enough I was able to successfully update my br900 but it did not correct the drive busy problem.Are there any other suggestions? Will this effect other songs on the same card(old or new)? Thanks for your help!!!
               Hook

              sixtyfourguitars <sixtyfourguitars@...> wrote:
              --- In BossBr@yahoogroups. com, Eric Halvorsen <hookpool@.. .> wrote:

              > Thanks 64. Optimizing didn't help so I'll try this. Now we have
              > already established my technical deficiencies so I download this
              > onto my computer then hook up the 900 w/ usb (I have never done
              > this). Then what? there seem to be no instructions to update does
              > it do it automatically?

              The update file you downloaded is a zip archive. So the first thing
              you need to do is unzip it into an empty directory. Inside, you'll
              find a file called "readme.pdf" which describes very clearly how to
              perform the update. Basically, you have to burn a CD with several of
              the files included in the zip archive.

              If you don't know how to unzip the files and burn them to a CD, I
              think it would be best if you got a computer-literate friend or
              relative to help you.

              It's important to do a full backup of your BR-900 before doing the
              update as it will reset everything to factory defaults. However, a
              backup doesn't include any user effects you might have on your BR. If
              you have any user effects you want to keep, you'll need to create a
              new song and copy each of these user effects into the corresponding
              position in the song effects (so U01 is written to S01, U02 to S02,
              and so on). Then do the full backup. Unlike user effects, song effects
              ARE saved with the backup. After doing the firmware update, you can
              restore the backup and copy the effects from the song area back to the
              user area (S01 is written to U01, S02 to U02, etc.)

              After you've updated the firmware and restored the backup, check your
              song for the Drive Busy problem. If it's still there, do another song
              optimize. It's possible that the optimize code may have been improved
              in the new version so it's worth trying.

              Good luck.

              - 64Guitars
              http://www.geocitie s.com/sixtyfourg uitars/BossBr/

              Get your own web address.

            • sixtyfourguitars
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 5 12:13 PM
                --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, Eric Halvorsen <hookpool@...> wrote:

                > Well surprisingly enough I was able to successfully update my br900
                > but it did not correct the drive busy problem.Are there any other
                > suggestions? Will this effect other songs on the same card(old or
                > new)? Thanks for your help!!!

                At this point I would do a full backup of the card, then Initialize it
                (page 196 of the BR-900 manual), and restore the backup to the empty card.

                If you still get the Drive Busy error, try another card. They're
                fairly inexpensive now and it's always good to have spares. You can
                get a 1GB card for under $20 (US). Here are some prices of various 1GB
                cards:

                http://www.flash-memory-store.com/1gb-compact-flash.html

                I've never dealt with this company and I don't mean to recommend them
                -- they just came up on a Google search for CompactFlash.

                You can get a 128MB card (same size as the one that came with your
                BR-900) for about $10 US but why bother when you can get a 1GB card
                for only $10 more? (eight times the capacity for only two times the
                price!) Also, CompactFlash cards under 1GB are getting hard to find.

                If you buy a new card, make sure you buy it from a retailer who will
                give you a refund (or exchange for another brand) if it doesn't work
                in your BR-900. I think most cards will work in the BR-900 but some
                may be incompatible and there's no easy way to tell except to try it.
                Don't forget to Initialize the new card in the BR before you use it
                (otherwise, it won't work).

                If you still get the Drive Busy error with a new card, you should
                contact Roland support (in the USA, phone 323-890-3741).

                It's possible that there's something about this particular song that's
                causing the problem. But, if a Song Optimize won't fix it, I don't
                know what will. Try some other songs. If they work okay with no Drive
                Busy errors, then you might have to consider re-doing the problem
                song. You might be able to salvage some or all of the recorded tracks
                with the Roland BR wave converter. Come to think of it, that might be
                something worth trying. Convert all your tracks to wave files with the
                BR wave converter, then initialize the memory card and create a new
                song. Import your wave files into the new song and see if you still
                get the Drive Busy error. BR wave converter can also be used for the
                import, or you can use the method on page 167 of the BR-900 manual.

                A Google search for "drive busy" didn't find anything very helpful,
                although there was a suggestion that the Punch In/Out feature might be
                a factor. So, if you re-do the song, you might want to avoid punch
                ins. Also, I found an old pdf document about Roland V-Studios which
                suggests that re-recording tracks can lead to Drive Busy errors.
                Roland suggests using the Undo button when you're not happy with a
                track and you want to record it again, instead of just recording over
                it. Although, I would think that Song Optimize should clean things up
                just as well.

                One final thought: make sure you don't have a CD in the CD drive while
                you're working on this song. It's possible that the BR may be trying
                to access the CD occasionally and this could affect its ability to
                access the memory card reliably -- especially if it's having trouble
                reading the CD.

                Good luck, and keep us posted -- others may have the same problem and
                learn from your efforts. And that's what this group is all about.

                - 64Guitars
                http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/
              • John Rosencutter
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 5 12:35 PM
                  Look inside the drive slot and see if you have any bent pins.  I don't remember my exact error, but I've (twice now) had a similar issue with my BR-864.  The problem was caused by a single bent pin in the card slot (it happened to be the middle pin both times).

                  By the way guys, you may remember a few weeks (maybe months) ago I sent out a message saying my BR-864 had a bent pin for the second time.  Well, because I was out of warranty this time, I decided to perform surgery on the recorder and bend the pin back myself.  The surgery was a success and the 864 is working once again.  The only downside is that I'm now afraid to remove the memory card, so I think I will just leave it in from now on on and transfer everything via USB.

                  --
                  John Rosencutter
                  jrrosencutter@...
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 5 1:44 PM
                    --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "John Rosencutter" wrote:

                    > Look inside the drive slot and see if you have any bent pins.

                    Good point John. It's certainly worth checking. Could also be some
                    dust or something in the card slot that's preventing it from making
                    good contact.

                    > I decided to perform surgery on the recorder and bend the pin back
                    > myself. The surgery was a success and the 864 is working once
                    > again. The only downside is that I'm now afraid to remove the
                    > memory card, so I think I will just leave it in from now on on
                    > and transfer everything via USB.

                    Yeah, I'd be afraid to remove the card too. The metal is probably so
                    fatigued now that the pin might break off!

                    If you could find some kind of extender or adapter, you could leave it
                    in the BR-864 and swap cards from the other end.

                    This Panasonic SD-CF adapter looks interesting:

                    http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr13pz.cgi?E+BA+3+AFB4007+BN-CSDAB+7+WW

                    Unfortunately, it looks like the SD card goes in the side so you'd
                    still have to remove the whole adapter from the BR when you wanted to
                    swap the SD card. If you could find something similar where the SD
                    card went in the end, you could leave the adapter in the BR-864.

                    This looks like it might work:

                    http://www.sycard.com/cf162.html

                    Only thing is, it would stick way out from the BR, so it could easily
                    get knocked. But if you don't move your BR-864 very often, that might
                    not be a huge problem. I don't know what the cost is or where you'd
                    get one. But it might be worth inquiring about.

                    Or, as you say, just leave the card alone and stick with USB
                    transfers. That costs nothing, but you lose the speed and convenience
                    of a card reader for transfers.

                    - 64Guitars
                  • Eric Halvorsen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 5 2:52 PM
                      I have also had to bend one of the pins and was also a little nervous but it has held very well and I change cards all the time. Thanks for the suggestion

                      --
                      John Rosencutter
                      jrrosencutter@ gmail.com

                      Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                    • Eric Halvorsen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 5 3:25 PM
                        I did back up everything and just went ahead and recorded song again ( on the same card) and had no problem so hopefully that is that. None of the other songs on the card seem to be affected.Thanks for the prices I've been buying 1GB sandisk's from walmart (Tampa FL) for about $45 each!
                        I do just about everything right on my 900 so I have still have never used the wave converter but I'm gonna try to find some time to play around with it.(My buisness and kids eat up most of my time)
                         If anyone is interested go to  www.myspace.com/hooksongs . The 3 songs there were recorded on my br900. I would love some feedback!

                        Never Miss an Email

                      • Mike Roberts
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 5 5:18 PM

                          Great link SixtyFour!!! I just bought two of the Samsung CF’s for $17.95 each from them. Total with Priority Mail shipping was $40.85. J

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 5 7:08 PM
                            --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, Eric Halvorsen <hookpool@...> wrote:

                            > I did back up everything and just went ahead and recorded song again
                            > ( on the same card) and had no problem so hopefully that is that.
                            > None of the other songs on the card seem to be affected.Thanks for
                            > the prices I've been buying 1GB sandisk's from walmart (Tampa FL)
                            > for about $45 each!

                            Sounds like you already have several cards then. Did you try restoring
                            the backup of the problem song to a different card?

                            Anyway, glad you're back in business.

                            > If anyone is interested go to www.myspace.com/hooksongs . The 3
                            > songs there were recorded on my br900. I would love some feedback!

                            Sounds great Eric. I've added a link to your page on my website (under
                            Links / Recordings).

                            - 64Guitars
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 5 7:19 PM
                              --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Roberts" <mikeroberts@...> wrote:

                              > Great link SixtyFour!!! I just bought two of the Samsung CF's for
                              > $17.95 each from them. Total with Priority Mail shipping was $40.85.
                              > :-)

                              Glad I could help. Let us know how they work out for you. People are
                              always asking which CF brands work with the BRs and which don't.

                              - 64Guitars
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 10 10:43 AM

                                The good news and good news!!! I got the order in. I paid for the Samsung @ $17.95 each http://www.flash-memory-store.com/samsung-compact-flash-1gb.html and the sent Q Memory 150x XPress Turbo that are supposed to be $22.95 http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qmemory-compact-flash-150x-1gb.html

                                I am not sure if there was a mix up or if they were just out of the Samsung. I was a little worried that the newer technology may be a problem. But I stuck one in and powered it up and it gave the “card testing” , the “song creating” and showed to be ready.

                                So I ran about 6 minutes onto it and played it back. It came out great. I powered off, put the other in, same results!!!!

                                I placed the order 3 days ago so the speed of service is great and I feel really good about this. Again SixtyFour your advice has helped me greatly as usual.

                                While I have no clue about the Samsung memory, I can confirm this Q Memory works well. Also my first 1 GIG CF which is a PNY has been working great for a year now with no glitches.

                                SixtyFour, if you ever made an 864 tutorial book or DVD I would be all over it bro!!! If anybody could pull that off it would be you. You should be a paid consultant for BOSS.

                                Cheers!!!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 10 11:00 AM

                                  They already have insanely good prices but I saw a link to inquire about bulk purchases and figured it would not hurt to try. Hopefully they will see this as a good way to move 1 GIG CF cards. Below is what I wrote them. I will let you guys know what they say. Cross your fingers guys J

                                  Hello,

                                  I ordered 2 of the 1GB Samsung Compact Flash SAMSCF-1024 and received 2 1GB QMEMORY 150X XPRESS TURBO cards. They work great for my digital recording studio.

                                  I belong to a online group that all own the same system and 1 GIG are the maximum CF cards we can use.

                                  The question is that can we get a group discount? Most people would probably want at least two at a discounted price. I know I would buy at least two more.

                                  BTW, very quick shipping and I am very happy with the product.

                                  thanks guys!!! Mike

                                • sixtyfourguitars
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 10 6:58 PM
                                    Thanks for the feedback Mike. It's good to know that PNY cards work as
                                    I've seen them advertised locally and wondered about them. I hadn't
                                    heard of Q Memory before but it's good to know they work too.

                                    - 64Guitars
                                    http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/

                                    --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Roberts" <mikeroberts@...> wrote:

                                    > The good news and good news!!! I got the order in. I paid for the
                                    Samsung @
                                    > $17.95 each
                                    http://www.flash-memory-store.com/samsung-compact-flash-1gb.html
                                    > and the sent Q Memory 150x XPress Turbo that are supposed to be $22.95
                                    > http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qmemory-compact-flash-150x-1gb.html
                                    >
                                    > I am not sure if there was a mix up or if they were just out of the
                                    Samsung.
                                    > I was a little worried that the newer technology may be a problem. But I
                                    > stuck one in and powered it up and it gave the "card testing" , the
                                    "song
                                    > creating" and showed to be ready.
                                    >
                                    > So I ran about 6 minutes onto it and played it back. It came out
                                    great. I
                                    > powered off, put the other in, same results!!!!
                                    >

                                    > I placed the order 3 days ago so the speed of service is great and I
                                    feel
                                    > really good about this. Again SixtyFour your advice has helped me
                                    greatly as
                                    > usual.
                                    >
                                    > While I have no clue about the Samsung memory, I can confirm this Q
                                    Memory
                                    > works well. Also my first 1 GIG CF which is a PNY has been working
                                    great for
                                    > a year now with no glitches.
                                    >

                                    > SixtyFour, if you ever made an 864 tutorial book or DVD I would be
                                    all over
                                    > it bro!!! If anybody could pull that off it would be you. You should
                                    be a
                                    > paid consultant for BOSS.
                                    >

                                    > Cheers!!!

                                  • Tony Beltran
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 11 6:32 AM
                                      Hi all:

                                      I use both PNY and Lexar 1 GB cards, and have been grabbing them
                                      locally when they go on sale. Often, a sale is not advertised
                                      and the displayed price does not reflect the sale price, so I
                                      have learned to check local stores periodically and ask what
                                      the REAL price is that day.

                                      The PNY and Lexar cards I am using are the standard, rather
                                      than Ultra or that sort of faster card. I have several
                                      pieces that use these cards, so having a pool of cards that
                                      any of my devices can take from is more efficient than
                                      having one device that uses SD, another that uses SmartMedia,
                                      another that uses CompactFlash, etc.

                                      Devices that I have that use these CompactFlash cards are the
                                      BR-600, Roland CD-2, Marantz PMD-660, and Digitech Jamman.
                                      The Lexar and PNY cards work well in all of them. The
                                      BR-600 has the 1 GB limitation, where the other devices
                                      can use much larger cards (except the CD-2, which has a
                                      2 GB limit, so I have picked up a number of PNY 2 GB cards
                                      the one time they were on sale locally for close to what
                                      1 GB cards sell for).

                                      As a software engineer, I have had to write embedded drivers
                                      for CompactFlash cards. I found that there were differences
                                      between individual manufacturer's card designs. One would
                                      think that having the controller embedded in the card would
                                      hide these differences, but it doesn't always. In cases
                                      where the timing is tight (i.e. tuning the driver for
                                      max throughput in a specific architecture), these differences
                                      do make for individualized drivers. So, to me, it is plausible
                                      that SOME consumer equipment could be sensitive to different
                                      manufacturers' designs of CompactFlash. The problem is that
                                      we don't really know, except by trial and error, whether a
                                      given device has that type of sensitivity. Since all the
                                      devices I mentioned had both PNY and Lexar in common on their
                                      qualified lists, these particular cards were a safe bet.
                                      However, that said, I would guess that most, if not all, of
                                      these devices would work fine with cards from manufacturers
                                      not on their respective lists. But why take the chance
                                      if cards on all lists were locally available and on sale
                                      from time to time?

                                      Unfortunately, I think that CompactFlash is falling from
                                      favor by manufacturers, and that cheaper to manufacture
                                      form factors are taking their place. I would think that
                                      with fewer data lines, requiring serialized data transfers,
                                      that speed capability of the card would be more of an issue
                                      with these newer designs (i.e. where I can get away with
                                      using slower version of CompactFlash cards, that may not
                                      necessarily be true with serial transfer designs).

                                      By the way, 64Guitars, I really appreciate your site with
                                      its tutorials!

                                      Tony B

                                      On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 03:58 +0000, sixtyfourguitars wrote:
                                      > Thanks for the feedback Mike. It's good to know that PNY cards work as
                                      > I've seen them advertised locally and wondered about them. I hadn't
                                      > heard of Q Memory before but it's good to know they work too.
                                      >
                                      > - 64Guitars
                                      > http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/

                                    • Matt & Sherry Campbell
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 22 8:47 PM
                                        Tony, I just ordered a BR600, can you tell me where to get the best
                                        bang for buck on 1gb cards, and whats the most reliable brand....All
                                        of the other technical stuff you mentioned in your topic is way above
                                        my head :o) thanks Matt

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 23 7:41 AM
                                          Matt:

                                          I bought all my CF cards locally here in the Twin Cities.
                                          The two brands I got were Lexar and PNY. Both are listed
                                          by the manufacturers of each of my devices that use CF cards.
                                          The Lexars I got at Sam's Club when they were blowing them out.
                                          All of these are 1 GB cards. The PNY cards I got at CompUSA.
                                          They are closing their stores in 26 states and are having a
                                          progressive sale. It strikes me as odd that they have people
                                          standing outside their various stores waving people down with
                                          big signs talking about huge savings and "even the fixtures
                                          must go", yet the prices really aren't very good at all.
                                          However, at least around here, the manufacturers of certain
                                          products will drop their own prices dramatically (such as by
                                          half!!) and CompUSA does not update the displayed price in
                                          the store. During the time I was purchasing the 1 GB and
                                          2 GB PNY cards, I would ask the salespeople what the real
                                          price of these cards was. Each time they would tell me
                                          that what is marked is the price, and be insistent about it.
                                          I would insist they bring it up on their register, and sure
                                          enough, the price would be half what their sign said. With
                                          the 10% discount (or more, depending on when in their sale
                                          cycle you buy), the price would be comparable to the best
                                          I could get online. Needless to say, I stocked up on 1 GB
                                          and 2 GB cards.

                                          >From what I have read in various newsgroups, buying online
                                          is a bit of a gamble, because the online store will typically
                                          send you whatever manufacturer's cards of the requested size
                                          they have in stock at the time. I would rather walk into a
                                          store, point to what I want specifically, and walk out with
                                          exactly that. When local prices, through various sales and
                                          manufacturer's promotions, become comparable to online prices,
                                          then it is time to buy.

                                          There is a general trend for many retail markets to make a
                                          gradual shift to their online outlets. This can be handy,
                                          just as when I was a kid, my mother always bought our
                                          school clothes from the Sears and Penny's catalogs. We
                                          are definitely and surely going back to that model, with
                                          the computer replacing the printed catalog. But, in certain
                                          cases, going into a store to hand pick what you want, is the
                                          better way to go. For me, CF cards are like that, as are books
                                          where I generally know what I want, but need to browse to find
                                          just the right book. Same thing for acoustic guitars or shoes.

                                          This is probably a longer reply than you wanted, but it does
                                          cover my approach to buying CF cards. Obviously, for those
                                          not living in even a moderate sized city such as the Twin
                                          Cities, the likelihood of finding a good deal locally on
                                          CF cards is probably rather small. In such cases, maybe
                                          you can do some research through newsgroups and online store
                                          ratings to find an outlet that will send only and exactly what
                                          you ask for. There seems to be a fairly wide spread on prices
                                          on those price comparison sites for items such as CF cards.
                                          Why is it that one online store charges a third more for a
                                          given CF card than another? Could it be service, trustworthiness,
                                          or that you get only and exactly what you ask for? Doing a bit
                                          of research to choose your vendor would be time well spent.

                                          In terms of most reliable brand, I would say that the reliability
                                          would largely be how well matched a particular card's internal
                                          design is to your particular device. In general, probably most
                                          CF cards will work in newer devices such as the BR-600, but if
                                          Roland says certain brands are tested against the device, than
                                          those would be my first choice. They wrote the firmware that
                                          is in the BR-600 that has the driver for these cards, and they
                                          would have tested the BR-600 with whatever brands they had
                                          around, and those would make their list. If people here post
                                          that other brands work consistently well (such as when the card
                                          is near full or fragmented from lots of editing), then you can
                                          add those brands to your list too. It is all a matter of what
                                          has been tried and therefore known to work, whether by Roland
                                          or people in these various groups.

                                          Tony

                                          On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 03:47 +0000, Matt & Sherry Campbell wrote:
                                          > Tony, I just ordered a BR600, can you tell me where to get the best
                                          > bang for buck on 1gb cards, and whats the most reliable brand....All
                                          > of the other technical stuff you mentioned in your topic is way above
                                          > my head :o) thanks Matt

                                        • Matt Campbell
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 23 2:01 PM
                                            Hey thanks Tony, I should get the BR600 in a couple of days. Im predicting it will really fit my needs, as I am mostly a acoustic player. I have a 1gb card in my JamMan but I cant remember what brand it is. Since My post to the forum I did a search and found that the 1gb cards are not nearly as expensive as I thought.....I probably pick up 4 for starters...

                                            Thanks again Matt

                                          • Tony Beltran
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 23 4:10 PM
                                              Matt:

                                              Usually, when the prices on a particular technology drop at
                                              an accelerating pace, it is a sign that that technology will
                                              soon become rather scarce. However, since CF cards were the
                                              defacto standard for quite some time, they will probably
                                              be easy to find for some time to come. The only thing I
                                              can think of that would adversely affect that prediction
                                              is that cameras were the mainstream market for CF cards,
                                              with equipment like the Boss BR series being a marginal
                                              market at best (i.e. having minimal impact on the overall
                                              CF card market). If people who own these kinds of cameras
                                              tend to turn them over frequently to keep up with newer
                                              technologies, then you might see demand for CF cards falling
                                              off. Since I don't know that market, I really couldn't make
                                              that prediction.

                                              I also own an old Roland MV-30, which is a dedicated hardware
                                              midi sequencer and sound module. I still use it. It uses
                                              the old 3.5" 720 KB floppies. At the time I bought the MV-30,
                                              you could get these floppies everywhere. Today, you might find
                                              a few places online that have them. Media can disappear literally
                                              overnight if the demand falls off. Those who did not stock up
                                              when the media was cheaply available are left scrounging. The
                                              reason 720 KB floppies ceased being a marketable item was that
                                              1.44 MB floppies came along not too long after the 720 KB floppy
                                              was introduced. You can still get the 1.44 MB floppies just about
                                              anywhere because they were the defacto standard. I believe that
                                              CF cards will be similar in that regard, though I am finding
                                              fewer and fewer stores locally are carrying them (CF cards)
                                              anymore.

                                              Roland's site says they chose the CF card because of its sturdy
                                              form factor and field toughness. But then Roland tends to stay
                                              with design decisions for quite some time. The VS series of
                                              recorders still uses SCSI external drives, for example. The
                                              choices Roland made in this area were clearly advantageous
                                              in the early days of IDE as the alternative, but today a
                                              good design can be had with IDE, though SCSI drives still
                                              have their place, and we could really get into an OT discussion
                                              on that. Looking at the form factors replacing the CF card, I
                                              would tend to agree. CF cards are probably more expensive to
                                              make than the newer, less sturdy form factor cards. A different
                                              of even a dime per card in the cost of manufacturing translates
                                              to large sums of money when you consider how many units of these
                                              things are sold every week or month or year.

                                              Tony

                                            • Michael
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 19, 2007
                                                --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Roberts" <mikeroberts@...> wrote:

                                                > The good news and good news!!! I got the order in. I paid for the
                                                > Samsung @ $17.95 each http://www.flash-memory-store.com/samsung-compact-flash-1gb.html
                                                > and they sent Q Memory 150x XPress Turbo that are supposed to be
                                                > $22.95 http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qmemory-compact-flash-150x-1gb.html

                                                Mike:
                                                Do you find this Qmemeory card to be any faster writing to the BR
                                                since it is a 150x card. I might pick a few up if they are. I was
                                                originally going to get the Samsung.
                                              • mikeroberts@charter.net
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 19, 2007
                                                  It seems like it but I would not swear to it. I thought about recording the same thing for the same amount of time and time the saving process.
                                                  Where it is probably faster is pulling it off the reader to my PC. Still, it is not something I checked. I usually have a lot of little things occupying me like opening another beer or hitting the restroom so I have a tendency to start copying just before I do something else for a bit.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 20, 2007
                                                    --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <hallerbach@...> wrote:

                                                    > Mike:
                                                    > Do you find this Qmemeory card to be any faster writing to the BR
                                                    > since it is a 150x card. I might pick a few up if they are. I was
                                                    > originally going to get the Samsung.

                                                    High-speed memory cards will make no difference in the normal
                                                    operation of a BR recorder (recording tracks, editing, mixing, etc).
                                                    They'll also make no difference when transferring files between the BR
                                                    and a PC connected with USB. The BRs use the older USB 1 specification
                                                    which is relatively slow, so the USB becomes the bottleneck rather
                                                    than the memory card.

                                                    In theory, a high-speed memory card should transfer files faster when
                                                    used in a USB 2.0 card reader connected to a PC with USB 2.0. However,
                                                    I bought a SanDisc Ultra II (60x) 1GB card several months ago and I
                                                    was disappointed to find no improvement in transfer speed with my USB
                                                    2.0 card readers, compared to a regular (blue & red label) 256MB
                                                    SanDisc card or the 128MB card that came with my BR-864. So, I suggest
                                                    that you don't worry about the advertised read/write speed when
                                                    shopping for a new memory card. It will likely make no difference.

                                                    - 64Guitars
                                                    http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr