Turning off the Global reverb

  • Chuck Cheek
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 31, 2009
      Got it, Thanks for all the help.  It was one of those Homer Simpson moments  DOH!

      To: BossBr@yahoogroups.com
      From: whouston@...
      Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:33:15 -0400
      Subject: Re: [BossBr] Re: How to fade out on BR-600?

      Kiss! Ha, Jimi Hendrix fame!

      Musically yours,

      Tony Houston
      The Primetime Blues Band
      www.primeblues. com
      From: Tony Houston <whouston@columbus. rr.com>
      To: BossBr@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 10:40 AM

      Oh, I understand that, there weren't any (cheap) home computers when I started recording at home. I had been recording in studios since '79, and I was always asking the recording engineer questions. I guy told me to 'mix with my ears', close your eyes and listen to the music. Eddie Kramer told me that he still mixes with his eyes closed http://i258. photobucket. com/albums/ hh260/thouston_ 02/FDP%20Picture s/MeEddie2. jpg (me & Eddie).

      Than in the late '80s I got a Fostex 4 track recorder, no EQ, FX, etc.....so I became really creative using my Casio keyboard for bass & drums. I used it for years, until got my BR-8. Wow, what a difference, but still no PC.That's why I can still mix on the BR-600.

      Musically yours,

      Tony Houston
      The Primetime Blues Band
      www.primeblues. com
      From: whouston@columbus. rr.com
      Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:35:55 -0400

      I don't master in Audacity either, I usually always use one the BR-600's MTK for final mastering. I think that most of you know that one of my brothers works for Roland, after Roland brought Cakewalk,  I told him wanted to learn more about PC recording. He sent me a Edirol UA 4FX external USB audio device, which comes bundled with SONAR LE http://tinyurl. com/mjs6kn . SONAR LE was hanging up on my PC ( AMD 3200+, 2MB RAM), and I had read that Reaper was just more versatile and powerful than SONAR or SONAR LE and wasn't a memory hog, so I got home use license.

      But Reaper doesn't come with drums, well it does sort of, you have to arrange using MIDI. This kept me from really using Reaper. I can arrange drums in BR-600 very fast, and a couple of times did export a drum arrangement and loaded it as a media file into Reaper. But, I couldn't edit the drum arrangement, this really didn't matter at the time because I was learning Reaper. What changed for me was while looking at Sam Ash's closeout section, I saw that DrumCore Ver2 was on sale for $79.99 http://www.drumcore .com/ . DrumCore's drum grooves are in audio loops, and MIDI, that can be simply 'drag & drop' in to a track grid. Than there are literally 1000s of plug-ins, VST, DX, etc which are great......I still find myself going back to my BR-600. It's just faster to setup and record, with Reaper I find myself spending more time setting it up than actually recording.

      But, lately I've been using both Reaper & my BR-600. On this track 'Codeine (bass & drums) http://soundclick. com/share? songid=8283263 , which I recorded while home with the flu, and taking codeine for my cough, was started in Reaper. I used DrumCore's Jeff Anthony's 'Tekno' groove and buss it thru three Cakewalk DX plug-ins, Pitch Shifter, Compressor Expander and Reverb, and for the bass track, I used my P-Bass bussed thru a fretted synth VST plug-in.

      I couldn't create a patch for my guitar track that I liked, so I 'Rendered' (bounced) the four tracks, bass, & drums as a two track stereo track. I imported the stereo track into my BR-600 for more recording. I couldn't find/tweak any FX in the BR that I liked, and since I had my Cyber-Twin already out, I used it. I recorded four guitar tracks using the CT presets (D/I'd into my BR-600). I bounced and exported these tracks, and loaded back into Reaper, where I added two of the Prime Loops synth loops for sonic ambience , on those I changed the pitch & tempo. I also created a MTK in Reaper using setting in the 'soft compression' MTK in the BR-600.

      Here is the finished track Codeine Head http://soundclick. com/share? songid=8283062 .

      Musically yours,

      Tony Houston
      The Primetime Blues Band
      www.primeblues. com
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
        That was helpful, Tony. Very. I like the before and after comparison a lot. But what I'm hearing is mixing not mastering. Which I'm interested in as well. So to be clear on what I'm specifically looking for:
        I record on the 900 exclusively. I think as a recorder it's top notch and easy to use. At least it's as powerful as I need or will need in the immediate future.

        Basically what I'm looking for and haven't spent the time on yet is to learn to mix on the 900. This would involve adding effects to individual tracks (including eq, compression, reberb etc) although probably not much at that point. Panning. Setting levels. Bouncing to a stereo pair.

        Then I once I have a satisfactory stereo pair I want to master. Ie, get the track ready for a single release or as part of a home recorded CD. In this case it would involve setting fade outs, time between tracks, track markers, final track order and overall sound of all the tracks. Ie, mixing the CD as opposed to the song. For this I'm thinking that a computer based system would work better for me, And after your comments Reaper is looking better and better.

        Thank you much for your response as it is very helpful to see another process.

        --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Houston" <whouston@...> wrote:

        > I don't master in Audacity either, I usually always use one the BR-600's MTK for final mastering. I think that most of you know that one of my brothers works for Roland, after Roland brought Cakewalk, I told him wanted to learn more about PC recording. He sent me a Edirol UA 4FX external USB audio device, which comes bundled with SONAR LE http://tinyurl.com/mjs6kn . SONAR LE was hanging up on my PC ( AMD 3200+, 2MB RAM), and I had read that Reaper was just more versatile and powerful than SONAR or SONAR LE and wasn't a memory hog, so I got home use license.
        >
        > But Reaper doesn't come with drums, well it does sort of, you have to arrange using MIDI. This kept me from really using Reaper. I can arrange drums in BR-600 very fast, and a couple of times did export a drum arrangement and loaded it as a media file into Reaper. But, I couldn't edit the drum arrangement, this really didn't matter at the time because I was learning Reaper. What changed for me was while looking at Sam Ash's closeout section, I saw that DrumCore Ver2 was on sale for $79.99 http://www.drumcore.com/ . DrumCore's drum grooves are in audio loops, and MIDI, that can be simply 'drag & drop' in to a track grid. Than there are literally 1000s of plug-ins, VST, DX, etc which are great......I still find myself going back to my BR-600. It's just faster to setup and record, with Reaper I find myself spending more time setting it up than actually recording.
        >
        > But, lately I've been using both Reaper & my BR-600. On this track 'Codeine (bass & drums) http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8283263 , which I recorded while home with the flu, and taking codeine for my cough, was started in Reaper. I used DrumCore's Jeff Anthony's 'Tekno' groove and buss it thru three Cakewalk DX plug-ins, Pitch Shifter, Compressor Expander and Reverb, and for the bass track, I used my P-Bass bussed thru a fretted synth VST plug-in.
        >
        > I couldn't create a patch for my guitar track that I liked, so I 'Rendered' (bounced) the four tracks, bass, & drums as a two track stereo track. I imported the stereo track into my BR-600 for more recording. I couldn't find/tweak any FX in the BR that I liked, and since I had my Cyber-Twin already out, I used it. I recorded four guitar tracks using the CT presets (D/I'd into my BR-600). I bounced and exported these tracks, and loaded back into Reaper, where I added two of the Prime Loops synth loops for sonic ambience , on those I changed the pitch & tempo. I also created a MTK in Reaper using setting in the 'soft compression' MTK in the BR-600.
        >
        > Here is the finished track Codeine Head http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8283062 .
        >

        > Musically yours,
        >
        > Tony Houston
        > The Primetime Blues Band
        > www.primeblues.com

      • Bob Whitehouse
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hi Folks,

          My first posting.

          I've just got myself an electric guitar and a Boss Micro-BR (I've played acoustic for years).

          I got the electric because I've always hankered after being able to play classic rock/blues riffs - they sound OK on an accoustic but it's just not the same !!

          I'm trying to have a go at some Chuck Berry hits - Johnny be good etc.

          Any suggestions as to best BR rythm pattern to use for classic rock 'n roll ?

          All the best

          Seasick Bob

        • shawn
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 3, 2009
            The stock overdrive setting is the setting I like for that particular sound. Crunchy but not to overly distorted.

            --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Whitehouse" <bob.whitehouse@...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > My first posting.
            >
            > I've just got myself an electric guitar and a Boss Micro-BR (I've played
            > acoustic for years).
            >
            > I got the electric because I've always hankered after being able to play
            > classic rock/blues riffs - they sound OK on an accoustic but it's just not
            > the same !!
            >
            > I'm trying to have a go at some Chuck Berry hits - Johnny be good etc.
            >
            > Any suggestions as to best BR rythm pattern to use for classic rock 'n roll
            > ?
            >
            > All the best
            >
            > Seasick Bob

          • Bob Whitehouse
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
              Yes - I quite like the dry crunch and ambic crunch patches. However what I'm trying to do here is use the BR rhythm generator to create a rock 'n roll backing track.

              The closest that I've found so far is the Blues2 verse 2 pattern - but this is not quite there. The original Johnny be Goode track had a really simple rythm pattern sounds like alternating bass and snare drums with a cymbal tap on every beat (I'm not a drummer !) - I can't find anything this simple in the BR patterns.

              Best regards,

              Bob

              The stock overdrive setting is the setting I like for that particular sound. Crunchy but not to overly distorted.

              --- In BossBr@yahoogroups. com, "Bob Whitehouse" <bob.whitehouse@ ...> wrote:

              > Hi Folks,
              >
              > My first posting.
              >
              > I've just got myself an electric guitar and a Boss Micro-BR (I've played
              > acoustic for years).
              >
              > I got the electric because I've always hankered after being able to play
              > classic rock/blues riffs - they sound OK on an accoustic but it's just not
              > the same !!
              >
              > I'm trying to have a go at some Chuck Berry hits - Johnny be good etc.
              >
              > Any suggestions as to best BR rythm pattern to use for classic rock 'n roll
              > ?
              >
              > All the best
              >
              > Seasick Bob

            • David Wardzala
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
              • Chuck Cheek
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Bob,
                   Take Pattern 098 "Pop1-V1" set the tempo at 160bpm, and have at it.

                  To: BossBr@yahoogroups.com

                  The stock overdrive setting is the setting I like for that particular sound. Crunchy but not to overly distorted.

                  --- In BossBr@yahoogroups. com, "Bob Whitehouse" <bob.whitehouse@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi Folks,
                  >
                  > My first posting.
                  >
                  > I've just got myself an electric guitar and a Boss Micro-BR (I've played
                  > acoustic for years).
                  >
                  > I got the electric because I've always hankered after being able to play
                  > classic rock/blues riffs - they sound OK on an accoustic but it's just not
                  > the same !!
                  >
                  > I'm trying to have a go at some Chuck Berry hits - Johnny be good etc.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions as to best BR rythm pattern to use for classic rock 'n roll
                  > ?
                  >
                  > All the best
                  >
                  > Seasick Bob

                  Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.
                • Chuck Cheek
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Sorry Bob,
                     I use a BR 600, and I'm not sure if the menus are the same as the Micro-BR. Bottom line though, As you said. You want a simple "Boom, chick". Starting with a tempo that is close will make it easier to find what you like.

                    Cheers
                    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=606123

                    To: BossBr@yahoogroups.com

                    The stock overdrive setting is the setting I like for that particular sound. Crunchy but not to overly distorted.

                    --- In BossBr@yahoogroups. com, "Bob Whitehouse" <bob.whitehouse@ ...> wrote:

                    > Hi Folks,
                    >
                    > My first posting.
                    >
                    > I've just got myself an electric guitar and a Boss Micro-BR (I've played
                    > acoustic for years).
                    >
                    > I got the electric because I've always hankered after being able to play
                    > classic rock/blues riffs - they sound OK on an accoustic but it's just not
                    > the same !!
                    >
                    > I'm trying to have a go at some Chuck Berry hits - Johnny be good etc.
                    >
                    > Any suggestions as to best BR rythm pattern to use for classic rock 'n roll
                    > ?
                    >
                    > All the best
                    >
                    > Seasick Bob

                    Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live. Learn more.
                  • Bob Whitehouse
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
                      Hey Chuck - that's perfect - now why didn't I find that? - thanks

                      Now I just need to find those crepe sole sneakers ...

                      To: BossBr@yahoogroups. com

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
                        Rhythm patterns are the same on Micro-Br and BR-600

                        To: BossBr@yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 4, 2009
                          Thanks David
                          ,

                          I've just downloaded this and will have a play. It doesn't mention support for the Micro-BR but I'll give it a try.

                          Bob

                          Have you tried to use the Rhythm Editor on the PC.  You can download it from the Boss site.  It will allow you to create a very simple pattern like the one you are describing.  It is also very easy to use.

                          Dave

                          The stock overdrive setting is the setting I like for that particular sound. Crunchy but not to overly distorted.

                          --- In BossBr@yahoogroups. com, "Bob Whitehouse" <bob.whitehouse@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Folks,
                          >
                          > My first posting.
                          >
                          > I've just got myself an electric guitar and a Boss Micro-BR (I've played
                          > acoustic for years).
                          >
                          > I got the electric because I've always hankered after being able to play
                          > classic rock/blues riffs - they sound OK on an accoustic but it's just not
                          > the same !!
                          >
                          > I'm trying to have a go at some Chuck Berry hits - Johnny be good etc.
                          >
                          > Any suggestions as to best BR rythm pattern to use for classic rock 'n roll
                          > ?
                          >
                          > All the best
                          >
                          > Seasick Bob

                        • vdospec
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 4, 2010
                            I am curious does it support for Micro BR?