A-DATA Speedy 1GB CF Cards at Newegg

  • Stephen Markowitz
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hello Fellow BR enthusiasts,

      I just ordered 2 A-DATA Speedy 1GB CF cards from Newegg. $6.69 each and the $3.99 shipping did not go up for second item.

      Here's a link to read about them.

      I will post a review here after I get them.

      Marko

    • brendan stallard
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
        <<<I just ordered 2 A-DATA Speedy 1GB CF cards from Newegg. $6.69 each
        and the $3.99 shipping did not go up for second item.>>>

        Marko,

        I feel compelled to state that I will never buy Adata again after the
        time I had a warranty issue with 'em.

        A card I had that was three months old, simply fell apart, like the
        glue between the partitions just gave way. Was not heavily used, was
        in and out of a small Canon SD 870IS, was all.

        They said, the card suffered physical damage, so sod off.

        Thats it, just genuine experience.

        New Egg "did" replace it, but Adata can go to hell.

        brendan
      • sixtyfourguitars
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
          --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Markowitz <sd48marko@...> wrote:

          > I just ordered 2 A-DATA Speedy 1GB CF cards from Newegg. $6.69 each and
          > the $3.99 shipping did not go up for second item.
          >
          > I will post a review here after I get them.

          I'll be very interested to hear how the A-DATA cards work for you. Several people here reported problems with the A-DATA card in their BR-600 or BR-864. However
          , as you can see in the following message thread, results were inconsistent. Some people said the A-DATA card worked just fine for them.

          What version is the OS in your BR-600? If you haven't updated to 1.11 yet, it might be interesting to hold off on updating until you get the A-DATA cards. Then you can try them before and after the update to see if it makes a difference. I have a hunch that they'll work just fine with the version 1.11 update. If so, then they might be a good choice for BR-600 users, as they're inexpensive and widely available.

          Oops! Maybe I spoke too soon. As I was writing this, I noticed Brendan's message stating that his A-DATA card fell apart and he had a hell of a time getting it replaced.  Of course, it's possible that their manufacturing process might have improved since Brendan's card was made.  In any case, the cards are quite cheap so, as long as they're compatible with the BR, they might still be a good choice.

          - 64Guitars
             http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/

        • brendan stallard
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
            <<<Of course, it's possible that their manufacturing process might
            have improved since Brendan's card was made.>>>

            64,

            Possibly. New Egg sent a replacement of an ADATA with a "Turbo" darker
            colour blue, and to be fair: that has been working fine ever since.
            The relevant dates were May 08/July 08.

            I use around 20 data cards of CF/SD in my various toys, and I've never
            damaged one up to this point. I'm not heavy handed in any way, just
            the opposite and I don't break things, ever. I realise this particular
            card was an SD, and CF's are more robust by their very nature, what I
            was ticked about was the customer no service, and the shocking
            attitude.

            If yer interested, the busted card is pictured here, three pictures et sequence:

            http://is.gd/5s0k

            Interesting to note that they're actually manufactured by Samsung, and
            normally, I'd swear by their stuff, and by their warranty. Adata, I
            wouldn't spit on, and never will again:)

            brendan
          • sixtyfourguitars
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
              --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "brendan stallard" <brendan.stallard@...> wrote:

              > If yer interested, the busted card is pictured here, three pictures et sequence:
              >
              > http://is.gd/5s0k

              Had it been me, I think I'd have put it back together with a few dabs of Crazy Glue and avoided the whole warranty problem. I know manufacturers should be held accountable for their shoddy work, but I just can't be bothered chasing after them, especially on an inexpensive item like that.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
                <<<I just can't be bothered chasing after them, especially on an
                inexpensive item like that.>>>

                64,

                Oi!

                I'm just a puir ole pensioner......

                I agree, actually: I wouldn't have bothered had it not been for the
                "eff off" response I got from Adata.

                But you're right, one should only fight and die on one hill.

                brendan
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
                  <brendan.stallard@...> wrote:

                  > <<<I just can't be bothered chasing after them, especially on an
                  > inexpensive item like that.>>>
                  >
                  > 64,
                  >
                  > Oi!
                  >
                  > I'm just a puir ole pensioner......
                  >
                  > I agree, actually: I wouldn't have bothered had it not been for the
                  > "eff off" response I got from Adata.
                  >
                  > But you're right, one should only fight and die on one hill.
                  >

                  > brendan

                  I just bought 2 of the Dlkin cards at B&H Photo for $10.50 since they
                  are listed as approved by Roland for the BR600. haven't tgot htem
                  yet, but trying unknown cards is too much of a hassle online.