Re: Track recording Drum pad hits on BR

  • Michael & Alicia Hallerbach
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      64:
      Thanks for the info.  I think the Bounce feature on this would work out for me - As you said, if I don't like the results, I still have the original tracks to go back to.  I also have a cheap external Yamaha drum pad thing that I could use, or I may just mic my actual set for cymbal hits only(I think cymbals are the thing that gives a drum track realism).  The only concern is sounds may not match the built in set sound very well.

      Is there any way to apply any effects to the built in drums through the BR - Aside from the obvious reverb, most recordings use compression liberally, especially on snares and bass drums.  Although the entire built in sets are on a rythmn track, with panning and bouncing it would be easy to separate out the different sounds, to apply effects to individual sounds.  My idea is to loop the output(line out RCAs) back into the line in and apply the effects to the line in input - This is a manual way of doing it, but I was wondering ifr there was any way to do this internally through send/return.

      once again, thanks for sharing all of your knowledge.

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2007
        --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, Michael & Alicia Hallerbach
        <hallerbach@...> wrote:

        > 64:
        > Thanks for the info. I think the Bounce feature on this would
        work out for me - As you said, if I don't like the results, I still
        have the original tracks to go back to. I also have a cheap external
        Yamaha drum pad thing that I could use, or I may just mic my actual
        set for cymbal hits only(I think cymbals are the thing that gives a
        drum track realism). The only concern is sounds may not match the
        built in set sound very well.

        > Is there any way to apply any effects to the built in drums
        through the BR - Aside from the obvious reverb, most recordings use
        compression liberally, especially on snares and bass drums. Although
        the entire built in sets are on a rythmn track, with panning and
        bouncing it would be easy to separate out the different sounds, to
        apply effects to individual sounds. My idea is to loop the output
        (line out RCAs) back into the line in and apply the effects to the
        line in input - This is a manual way of doing it, but I was wondering
        ifr there was any way to do this internally through send/return.

        > once again, thanks for sharing all of your knowledge.

        The more I dig into this unit the more it amazes me. From what I
        discovered is you can apply an effects track to virtually any
        existing track or Rythmn track through the <Location> option in the
        effects patch itself and then I assume you can bounce it, with the
        effects added. This would apply to drums as well. I haven't actually
        tried it, but i think I am going to start recording my guitar tracks
        Dry and then add effects after the fact to see how they sound since I
        have to work on tweaking the effects patches a bit more(Haven't found
        the sounds I want yet but I know they are in there).
      • sixtyfourguitars
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2007
          Yes, as you've discovered, you can go into the Utility menu and set
          the effects Insert Mode to Rhythm (see page 95 of the BR-600 manual).
          Then the insert effects will be applied to the drums. And yes,
          bouncing will allow you to record the drums with the effects.

          You can get some really wild sounds with some of the effects. One
          that's especially fun is the GTR patch P22:Gt Pad. This produces a
          sort of 'reverse' effect. It works best with cymbals. Be sure to try
          the other effect banks too. For example, you might be interested in
          MIC P04:SnareCmp. The name might suggest that it applies compression
          only to the snare. However, I don't think that's possible, so it's
          probably applying compression to everything. As a microphone effect, I
          think it's meant for micing an acoustic snare drum. MIC P16:D.VADER is
          weird. MIC P17:ALIEN is fun. MIC P19:SEAGULLS sounds a bit like a
          didgeridoo. The LIN bank offers the Ring Modulator effect which isn't
          available in the other banks. Flanging is an interesting effect on
          drums. You can do some really weird things with the pitch shifter too.
          Lots of fun! Just remember to set the effects Input Mode back to
          INPUT<NORMAL> when you're done.

          - 64Guitars
          http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2007
            --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <hallerbach@...> wrote:

            > i think I am going to start recording my guitar tracks Dry and
            > then add effects after the fact to see how they sound since
            > I have to work on tweaking the effects patches a bit more(Haven't
            > found the sounds I want yet but I know they are in there).

            This is a good way to learn about effects tweaking since the track
            will play continuously while you try different settings. Otherwise,
            you'd have to keep taking yours hands off the guitar to tweak the
            settings, then go back to playing a bit to hear how it sounds, then
            back to tweaking, and so on.

            But, although this is great for learning about the effects, I don't
            like recording dry routinely because it affects the way I play. For
            example, if I'm using a very distorted amp model, I get a lot more
            sustain and might tend to hold notes longer than I would if I were
            playing clean. So, for me, recording dry doesn't work well. The choice
            of effects changes the whole feel of my playing and causes me to play
            quite differently than I would with different effects. I need to hear
            the effects while I'm playing - not after. Of course, every player is
            different and some might like the versatility of choosing the effect
            later. It just doesn't work for me.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2007
              I was thinking if I used the "Rec Dry" feature, I would still monitor
              my playing when laying down the track with an overdrive sounding
              patch since as you said, the playing style can be affected by the
              chosen patch. I like to palm mute a lot and let distortion sustain
              as well, so hearing it clean when tracking would screw me up. I
              honestly have not spent much time with the specfici sounds - The
              adjustments and capabilities are daunting. Right now I am only using
              St Metal(Patch 10?), and patch #2 (HighGain?) but need to dial in a
              better sound.

              Also - If anybody's interested I found 2 sites that have great Free
              Drum Waves(To make your own sets) -

              www.kara-moon.com -Also has a great forum on drum sampling

              G&S Drumworks - http://www.autodafe.net/samples.asp

              Guitar1969

              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that recording dry means you'll only
                hear your clean, un-effected guitar sound while recording. You can
                record dry with any effect and you'll hear that effect while
                recording. The point I was trying to make is that, regardless of which
                effect I record with, I don't want to change it later because I would
                probably want to play it differently with a different effect. So, I'd
                rather just re-record the track with the new effect. Preferably, to
                another v-track so I can compare the two different takes and select
                the one I like best for the final mix.

                Thanks for the drum sample links. I hadn't seen those ones before. For
                more drum and cymbal samples, check out the links in these messages:

                I should probably gather all these links together and put them on a
                page on my website.