Song Patterns created via midi

  • whinnybrae
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      I'm trying to figure out how to edit a song pattern that was created
      via downloading a midi file, and saved as song pattern S001:CoverTune
      for instance.

      In this example the S001:CoverTune song pattern has no drums playing
      for the first 8 bars and so I'd like to edit the first 8 bars of
      S001:CoverTune to add, say crossed sticks (or other some other click)to
      keep time, while waiting for the drums to start.

      I suppose I could do it the "pedestrian" way by recording clicks for 8
      bars on track 1 and S001:Cover Tune on track 2, but now I've got tracks
      on a song to manage as opposed to a single song pattern that can be
      played independently of any tracks.

      Hoping someone knows a way. Thanks in advance
    • sixtyfourguitars
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
        --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "whinnybrae" <whinnybrae@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to figure out how to edit a song pattern that was
        > created via downloading a midi file, and saved as song pattern
        > 001:CoverTune for instance.
        >
        > In this example the S001:CoverTune song pattern has no drums
        > playing for the first 8 bars and so I'd like to edit the first
        > 8 bars of S001:CoverTune to add, say crossed sticks (or other
        > some other click) to keep time, while waiting for the drums to
        > start.

        This can easily be accomplished by editing the pattern in step mode.
        Here's how:

        1) Press the ARRANGE/PATTERN/OFF button until it flashes (Pattern
        mode) and turn the TIME/VALUE wheel to select the Song Pattern you
        wish to edit (S001:CoverTune in this case).

        2) Press the PROGRAM button next to the Rhythm Guide fader.

        3) Use the CURSOR buttons to select [STEP] and press ENTER.

        4) Use the CURSOR buttons to select [REC] and press ENTER.

        5) Use the CURSOR buttons to enter the pattern editing grid and move
        about in it. The 3-digit number at the top-left of the display tells
        you the current measure number. If you press the Cursor Right button
        until the cursor is at the far right of the display and you continue
        pressing Cursor Right, the display will be redrawn to show the next
        measure. Likewise, if you move the cursor all the way to the left and
        press Cursor Left once more, the display will show the previous
        measure. In this way, you can move from measure to measure and change
        or add any drum sounds you want. The downward-pointing arrows above
        the grid mark the beats in the measure. In 4/4 time, for example,
        there will be 4 arrows above the grid spaced 4 columns apart (1/16
        notes). There is also a right-pointing arrow at the top-right of the
        grid. This indicates that there are more measures in the pattern. When
        you reach the last measure in the pattern, the right-pointing arrow
        disappears, indicating that there are no more measures. You can also
        move from measure to measure by pressing the FF and REW buttons. The
        ZERO button takes you to measure 1. You can add drum sounds by moving
        to the appropriate column and row and pressing ENTER. The row
        determines which drum sound will be played and the column determines
        when it will be played. Only 6 rows can be displayed at a time. To
        view the other 6 rows (Toms, Cowbell and Cross Sticks), press the
        RHYTHM PAD button. You can also enter drum sounds by moving to the
        appropriate column and pressing the Track button for the drum sound
        you want. To delete an existing drum sound, move to the column and row
        and press ENTER (this toggles the drum sound between on and off), or
        just move to the column and press the appropriate track button while
        holding down the DELETE/MUTE button. You can change the velocity of
        any drum sound by moving to the appropriate column and row and
        adjusting fader 1.

        The 3-digit number at the top-left of the display (MEAS) serves two
        purposes. When you first enter step recording mode (but before you
        select [REC] mode), this number shows the total number of measures in
        the pattern. Changing this value will change the length of the
        pattern. When you select [REC] and press ENTER, this number indicates
        the current measure displayed in the grid, as discussed above. When
        you press [STOP] to exit grid editing, it reverts back to displaying
        the total number of measures in the pattern.

        For more information, see the Step Recording section of the User's Manual.

        BR-600 - pages 148-150
        BR-864 - pages 100-102
        BR-900 - pages 130-132

        - 64Guitars
        http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BR864/
      • whinnybrae
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
          Thanks 64, you're a great help!

          I also found a free midi editor called Anvil Studio which allows
          editing the midi prior to importing it as an SMF to peel the drums
          off in case anyone else needs one.

          --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "sixtyfourguitars"

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
            --- In BossBr@yahoogroups.com, "whinnybrae" <whinnybrae@...> wrote:

            > Thanks 64, you're a great help!

            You're welcome.

            > I also found a free midi editor called Anvil Studio which allows
            > editing the midi prior to importing it as an SMF to peel the drums
            > off in case anyone else needs one.

            Actually, there's usually no need to extract the drum channel from an
            SMF before importing it, if that's what you mean. The BR will do that
            for you. It ignores all midi channels except channel 10, which is
            normally the drum channel.

            Still, Anvil Studio could come in handy for inserting or deleting
            measures from a midi file before importing to the BR. I don't think
            there's any way to do that in the BR. So, if you wanted to add a
            count-in to the start of a pattern from an SMF but the pattern started
            at measure 1, you could use Anvil Studio to insert a measure or two at
            the start for the count-in. Then you could create the count-in using
            either Anvil Studio or the BR, whichever you prefer.

            If anyone else is interested in this free midi sequencer, you can
            download it from:

            http://www.anvilstudio.com/

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
              Thanks again 64. I knew the Boss peeled channel 10 on it's own which
              is great for me cuz I don't have to program the drums. I also tried
              to insert a bar in STEP mode, but no luck, so Anvil comes in really
              handy there, especially for count-ins. That way you avoid having to
              create a count-in pattern and then bolting it to the front of the
              midi song pattern via song arrangement.

              You can probably tell by now that I'm pretty lazy :-)

              But I love my BOSS!