Tijuana: 2/1 - Event "Maquiladora Workers Move Forward"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2003
      Maquiladora Workers Move Forward
      Date: 1/28/2003 10:09:51 AM Pacific Standard Time
      From: maquilatijuanasandiego@...

      Industria Fronteriza: Workers Move Forward
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      When? Saturday, February 1st.  5 pm
      Where? Cittac’s office
      Dolores 32-B             Fraccionamiento Dimenstein
      TijuanaPhone: (664) 622-4269

      Dinner: Tostadas (chicken), turkey, mashed potatoes, salad, sodas, coffee, beer, wine
      Donation:  $10 ($100 pesos)
      Maquiladora workers: $3 (30 pesos)
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      Come celebrate with us a small triumph: we’re having a party this Saturday, February 1st. Our movement is moving forward!

      As we’ve already told you about, the Industria Fronteriza maquiladora workers are fighting against the company and the company’s “union.” The company has closed down and the owners are trying to escape without paying us our severance pay. Some of us have worked in Industria Fronteriza for more than 30 years; however, we did not receive a cent from the company.

      The owners and managers, masters of fraud, elaborated a complex legal labyrinth to avoid paying us many years of severance pay.  This labyrinth includes an illegal “agreement” as well as a strike that the Union “7 de Enero” (January 7) declared to protect the company’s interests, supposedly on behalf of us. The company and the union forced us to accept the “agreement” keeping us inside the factory for many hours until we signed it; the union declared the strike without consulting us and closed the factory forcing us to leave the factory.

      The workers have already started to organize the resistance. We arranged a press conference that was attended by newspapers and TV stations from both Tijuana and San Diego. People are starting to become familiar with the criminal people who own and rule Industria Fronteriza: Eric Segal, Sophia Modelvsky (U.S. citizens, San Diego residents) and Guillermo Trejo (Mexican, Tijuana resident). We have also been able to meet the Mexican president, Vicente Fox, and the Baja California governor, Eugenio Elorduy to demand a solution to our conflict.

      The workers have created a new organization: the Coalition for Justice to Industria Fronteriza Workers (Coalición Pro Justicia para Trabajadores y Trabajadoras de Industria Fronteriza). This is a big step forward. This Coalition is an umbrella that unifies us regardless of the differences in the status of our legal demands against the company (differences threaded by the owners). The Coalition has a legal representation, so we could be part of the talks between the company and the union; the Coalition is a dike against company and union maneuvers.

      The workers hired a new lawyer who is a member of the ANAD (Democratic Lawyers National Association, Mexico) and the Coalition for Justice in the Maquiladoras. He is working in association with the Workers Information Center (Centro de Informacion para Trabajadores y Trabajadoras, Cittac, Tijuana) and we have the support from the Casa de la Mujer Factor X. We have therefore surpassed an important obstacle finding a legal group who represent our interests and having political supporters who respect our organization.

      The workers do not expect anything favorable from the corrupt union “7 de Enero” (section of the infamous “Confereracion Regional de Obreros de Mexico,” CROM, affiliated to the PRI.) In fact, the union has started to attack: they said that we are manipulated by gringos who want the maquiladoras to leave Tijuana. They are also threatening us: they accused one of the workers, Jorge Salas, of robbing from the company, and want the police to arrest him. We are expecting more attacks and threats.

      Support us: come to our party!

      When? Saturday, February 1st.  5 pm
      Where? Cittac’s office
      Dolores 32-B             Fraccionamiento Dimenstein
      TijuanaPhone: (664) 622-4269

      Information in San Diego: (619) 216-0095 Directions from San Diego: Move toward the right lane as you cross the border so that you get under the sign that reads "Paseo de los Heroes".  Take Paseo de los Heroes through 4 traffic circles and then about seven traffic lights (the street changes its name after the traffic circles, but you don't have to worry about that).  Turn right at the traffic light that says "Ermita Norte" (which is one light past "Industrial").  Then, turn left on Calle Dolores, which is one block before Blv. Agua Caliente/Diaz Ordaz. The Cittac office is at 32B Calle Dolores, right next to the auto or tire store on the corner of Ermita Norte and Calle Dolores.  Music: Grupo Voces del Viento (Wind Voices)

      Dinner: Tostadas (chicken), turkey, mashed potatoes, salad, sodas, coffee, beer, wine
      Donation:  $10 ($100 pesos)
      Maquiladora workers: $3 (30 pesos)

      It includes dinner and one drink. Additional drinks may be purchased.

      The money is to support our struggle.

      Sincerely,

      Coalición por Justicia de Trabajadores y Trabajadoras de Industria Fronteriza

      Additional information:

      Centro de Información para Trabajadoras y Trabajadores:

      cittac@...

      San Diego Maquiladora Worker Support Network:

      maquilatijuanasandiego@...

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      *To Translate this page to Arabic, please visit ajeeb.com:
      http://tarjim.ajeeb.com/ajeeb/default.asp?lang=1

      *To Translate this page to French, Spanish, German, Italian or Portuguese, please visit Systran:
      http://www.systransoft.com/
      US-Mexico Border Actions
      No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!

      e-mail: borderactions@...
      PLease subscribe Border Information listserv, send e-mail to:
      Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      *BorderInfo is a activist project of ActionLA
      e-mail: ActionLA@...

      Please join our ActionLA Listserv