Tijuana, Mexico: Casa Amiga

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      Casa Amiga
      Date: 12/3/2002 10:02:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
      From: americas@...

      CROSSBORDER UPDATER | December 3, 2002

      c o n t e n t s :
      Casa Amiga: Leading the Fight to Protect Women in Ciudad Juarez | article by Jonathan Treat

      Distributed by the IRC's Americas Program ~ "A New World of Ideas, Analysis, and Policy Options." Note that this service includes announcements of new content in both Spanish and English. For more information, visit www.americaspolicy.org or read the footer of this message. To report problems, email americas@....

      A new Citizen Action in the Americas article from the IRC's Americas Program:

      | Citizen Action in the Americas |
      Casa Amiga: Leading the Fight to Protect Women in Ciudad Juárez

      Jonathan Treat | December 3, 2002

      A major wave of layoffs in the once-thriving maquiladora industry of Ciudad Juárez has left thousands scrambling for ways to make ends meet. Among the most vulnerable to this economic implosion are thousands of working class women. As the maquiladora sector has contracted, Casa Amiga, the only domestic violence and rape crisis center in the city of nearly 2 million, experienced a dramatic increase in the number of battered women coming in for help. Despite its overwhelming workload, the staff of Casa Amiga continues to provide much-needed services to women in Juárez, one day at a time, case by case.

      Read the complete special report:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/articles/2002/0212casa.html

      Download a printer-friendly PDF version:
      http://www.americaspolicy.org/pdf/articles/0212casa.pdf

      About Us

      The crossborder UPDATER: distributed by the Americas Program of the Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC)
      "A New World of Ideas, Analysis and Policy Options"

      For more information about the Americas Program and the Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC), visit http://www.americaspolicy.org/.

      Please note that because our audience is largely an international, bilingual one we include announcements of new Spanish-only content or new Spanish-language translations of previously published English-language content in the crossborder UPDATER. At the same time, the layout is designed so that those who read only English can easily locate items of interest in their language of preference.

      Please report formatting issues or any similar problems to americas@....

      Support the Americas Program

      Please consider supporting the IRC's Americas Program. Although we make our make our information freely available on the Internet, we need financial support to cover our staff time and expenses. Increasingly, we depend on you and other individual donors to sustain our work. Call (505) 842-8288 or visit http://www.americaspolicy.org/join.html to support the Americas Program today.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      *To Translate this page to Arabic, please visit ajeeb.com:
      http://tarjim.ajeeb.com/ajeeb/default.asp?lang=1

      *To Translate this page to French, Spanish, German, Italian or Portuguese, please visit Systran:
      http://www.systransoft.com/

      US-Mexico Border Actions
      No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!

      e-mail: borderactions@...
      PLease subscribe Border Information listserv, send e-mail to:
      Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      *BorderInfo is a activist project of ActionLA
      e-mail: ActionLA@...

      Please join our ActionLA Listserv