FNS: Study Finds More Drunk Youth Ret urning Nightly from Ciudad Juárez

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      FNS: Study Finds More Drunk Youth Returning Nightly from Ciudad Juárez
      Date: 12/5/2002 2:50:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
      From: frontera@...

      On a typical weekend night, 1,600 youth between 18 and 20 years of age are returning drunk to the US from Ciudad Juárez, according to a study of cross-border drinking done by the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation. This is up considerably from a low of less than 400 per night after a 1999 El Paso anti-drinking initiative.

      Forty percent of the 18 to 20 year olds returning from Cd. Juárez have a blood alcohol content above .08 and twenty percent of those returning plan to drive, the study found. On a typical night, 2,000 to 3,000 young people go to Cd. Juárez to consume alcohol.

      An article in the El Paso Times quoted Robert Voas, a senior research scientist with the institute, as saying that "We have the problem that these young people come back having drunk so much they're close to passing out. We have situations where fellas are actually carrying back their dates because they've drunk so much."

      While the Cd. Juárez government has prohibited serving alcohol to people from the US under 21 years of age, it is apparent that many bars and clubs are not observing this regulation.

      Source: El Paso Times, December 4, 2002. Article by Darren Meritz.
      --
      Frontera NorteSur
      On-line news coverage of the US-Mexico border

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      *To Translate this page to Arabic, please visit ajeeb.com:
      http://tarjim.ajeeb.com/ajeeb/default.asp?lang=1

      *To Translate this page to French, Spanish, German, Italian or Portuguese, please visit Systran:
      http://www.systransoft.com/

      US-Mexico Border Actions
      No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!

      e-mail: borderactions@...
      PLease subscribe Border Information listserv, send e-mail to:
      Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      *BorderInfo is a activist project of ActionLA
      e-mail: ActionLA@...

      Please join our ActionLA Listserv